abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Download Zen X-Fi2 Games & Applications (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=223)
-   -   Simple water-level app (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52573)

legostein 02-15-2010 06:19 AM

Simple water-level app

2 Attachment(s)
Now when the accelerometer API is out I thought about playing around with it. So here is a very simple version of a water-level.

Legostein

Screenshot:

fzbm123 02-15-2010 06:32 AM

hey nice app! btw i was playin wen i realised tat theres no quit button....... yes i noe tat u could turn off the x-fi2 n turn it back on but i think tat its better if u make a quit button perhaps by using the home button

Brett_val 02-15-2010 06:34 AM

I thought it was a game, but this seems quite useful.

Although, it might just be my player, but it isn't calibrated right. At first I thought my house was just skewed, but when I turn the player around the red bars don't swing the same amount the other way, so it's not calibrated. Can you implement that?

Oh and .. I cannot exit the app!! The app has been running for 10 minutes now and the home button does nothing?

edit: Thanks fzbm123, I did not think about shutting the whole player down :P that works.

legostein 02-15-2010 07:22 AM

I'm using the home button to exit the app. However I found that clicking it does not always work. Might be because the loop runs slower than in other apps. So I used the 'hold' function. You have to hold the home button down for a bit to exit. Problem here is that even that needs a while longer than normal. Working on that.

Legostein

RobertsAccount 02-15-2010 07:42 AM

Very nice! This will come in useful, someday... :)

legostein 02-15-2010 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, now app can be exited by a home button click. But sometimes it needs a second to realize.
I also added calibration buttons.
What else can be done with that accelerometer? Pedometer maybe? Or some kind of accelerometer display?
I once saw an app for the N900 (N900 fly) with which you measure how high you can throw your phone :)

Legostein

JJLoke 02-15-2010 09:38 AM

some feedback:

1) is the accelerometer that unstable? it cannot hold still

2) nicer graphics

3) 1 calibrate button instead of 2. the 1 calibrate button will update both the level meter

nevertheless good work

Habhome 02-15-2010 12:03 PM

Yes, the accelerometer is unstable. It is jumping while lying on a table. And I should be able to hold still also, since I practice target shooting =P

But I agree that the graphics could improve, if just only be made less "8-bit" and more smooth.

i'm not sure about the single calibration that JJLoke suggests though. You don't always have a flat and good surface to calibrate against, it's easier to find one surface for each meter.

Idroy 02-15-2010 02:32 PM

Cool, I practise target shooting too! ;). Anyway, better graphics are always nice :P, and maybe you need a custom icon, it doesn't really matter much, but hey, it's always nice to have it more custom. Maybe I can make something for you, I'm not the best photoshopper, but I can always try something. I'll begin tomorrow, if you don't mind. :rolleyes:

ps. feels good to do something for the app-making community :p

Les23 02-15-2010 02:54 PM

what's the target shooting?

Habhome 02-15-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idroy (Post 442894)
Cool, I practise target shooting too! ;). Anyway, better graphics are always nice :P, and maybe you need a custom icon, it doesn't really matter much, but hey, it's always nice to have it more custom. Maybe I can make something for you, I'm not the best photoshopper, but I can always try something. I'll begin tomorrow, if you don't mind. :rolleyes:

ps. feels good to do something for the app-making community :p

Nice! (Continues TS discussion in PM)
And I do agree it needs a better Icon. Also one which better corresponds to the app itself.

And yeah Idroy it is nice to be able to contribute somehow. I also do simple graphic for people, and help out a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les23 (Post 442904)
what's the target shooting?

(PM answer)

fzbm123 02-15-2010 08:25 PM

nice update! anw i hav some suggestions:

-i agree with the above to improve the graphics. After all, this app doesnt require much performance so u could improve a lot on the graphics (make it more colorful, curve the edges etc)

-try to stabalize the accelerometer cuz it kept on jumping

-add some measurement to the app (angle of tilt)

tats pretty much all. THX!

Idroy 02-16-2010 09:44 AM

I'm thinking about a good icon, but I can't come up with something at the moment. Do you have a good idea for an icon? Something like a real waterlevel, (<--- is that the right name for something like that?) or something else?....

:eek:Man, I'm using the word: "something" to many times... XD

legostein 02-16-2010 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

next version. Thanks for all the suggestions. This version should be an improvement towards that.

@Idroy: The icon I use is actually a waterlevel I found in my basement :)
Its a photo, not so good for an icon. If you find something better, go ahead.

Thanks
Legostein

Idroy 02-16-2010 10:16 AM

Okay, I will try to make/find something this evening. :)... Wow, tried your new version :D. It's a big improvement, nice graphics, I like it that you kept the 2 calibrate buttons.

Habhome 02-16-2010 10:22 AM

Quick test before training.
Initial reaction: Much nicer graphics!

JJLoke 02-16-2010 11:51 AM

haha ... looks sooo much nicer than the first version ... !

Idroy 02-16-2010 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made an icon. (just used your images in the app folder) It is in the attachment. I didn't get those circles very smooth, I tried the icon on my player, it turns out better than on my pc. Hope you like it.

I'm still trying to get it more smooth,but because it's a small image, that is very hard. (for me... :o)

Tmd 02-16-2010 03:14 PM

the new version is very nice although still a bit shaky.

What do the number mean though?

legostein 02-17-2010 04:35 AM

The number is tilt in degrees. Seems like the letter for degree is not in the x-fis character set, so currenctly there is just the number. Put your x-fi on the table, horizontally, upright. Should show something around 0 (depending on your table :)).

@Idroy: icon looks very well, I'll put it with the next version.

Thanks
Legostein