abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Zen X-Fi2 Applications & Development (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Space Invaders WIP (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52850)

Free Radical 02-24-2010 04:13 PM

Space Invaders WIP
 
Hey all

I'm currently working on a space invaders app. Not much to report yet but I'll post updates here. So far I have the splash screen and music working, and moving the ship from side to side using the touchscreen. I'm not sure what to use for making it fire - possibly the square button?

cmalcolm23 02-24-2010 04:18 PM

oooooh.... excellent!! its about time someone attempted that :p. i look forward to seeing this released!!! as for ur idea... would it not be better to use the accellerometer for the movement and just tap the screen to fire. just a suggestion. good luck! :)

Habhome 02-24-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalcolm23 (Post 445620)
oooooh.... excellent!! its about time someone attempted that :p. i look forward to seeing this released!!! as for ur idea... would it not be better to use the accellerometer for the movement and just tap the screen to fire. just a suggestion. good luck! :)

Might be hard to play with the accelerometer, it's a bit shaky at times. But it might be better than using the home-button for firing. The home button is in general a "back to menu" button which also is used to exit apps mostly. Which is why it might not be a good idea to use it for firing. If you do use it like that though, don't forget to add a visible quit button so you can exit the app.

One other method may be to let it fire continuously, and only let you control it's flight.

ThievingSix 02-25-2010 12:44 AM

I vote for the accelerometer/home button combo. With the filters in the water level app, it seems to be much more stable.

Idroy 02-25-2010 03:07 PM

I vote for... accelerometer for the movement of the ship, and tapping the touchscreen for firing. :P

RobertsAccount 02-25-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idroy (Post 445884)
I vote for... accelerometer for the movement of the ship, and tapping the touchscreen for firing. :P

I think it should be accelerometer and home button, but if you hold down your finger/thumb on the home button, it keeps firing. Tapping the touch screen may get in the way of the game...

Habhome 02-25-2010 03:59 PM

Add a small strip in the bottom of the screen used for firing then. Wont necessarily get in the way then.

RobertsAccount 02-25-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habhome (Post 445910)
Add a small strip in the bottom of the screen used for firing then. Wont necessarily get in the way then.

Ah you clever person you :)

ThievingSix 02-25-2010 04:38 PM

Why touch screen over a tactile button(home button)?

Habhome 02-25-2010 04:45 PM

Because the home button is usually the "exit" button.

ThievingSix 02-25-2010 04:55 PM

True, but for something that requires a lot of tapping to shooting, I'd rather not wear down my touch screen.

CleverBullet 02-26-2010 08:30 AM

couldn't you have it where just pressing the button fires and holding it in for a set amount of time exits the program?

ThievingSix 02-26-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CleverBullet (Post 446091)
couldn't you have it where just pressing the button fires and holding it in for a set amount of time exits the program?

Yeh, there is a way to differentiate between OnHomeClick and OnHomeHold events.

Habhome 02-26-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThievingSix (Post 445933)
True, but for something that requires a lot of tapping to shooting, I'd rather not wear down my touch screen.

So you'd rather wear down the contact inside the home button?

Also, if you differentiate between a click and hold to decide if you're exiting or not. Then you wouldn't be able to fire continuously without really tapping away at the button. With the screen as fire you'd just need to hold it do do that, causing virtually no wear at all.

ThievingSix 02-26-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habhome (Post 446097)
So you'd rather wear down the contact inside the home button?

Also, if you differentiate between a click and hold to decide if you're exiting or not. Then you wouldn't be able to fire continuously without really tapping away at the button. With the screen as fire you'd just need to hold it do do that, causing virtually no wear at all.

For those without screen protectors, I believe wearing down the screen will happen infinity times faster than the contact of the home button =).

Habhome 02-26-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThievingSix (Post 446100)
For those without screen protectors, I believe wearing down the screen will happen infinity times faster than the contact of the home button =).

Perhaps true, but how much tear would it actually cause? The screen can't be THAT sensitive to use.

CleverBullet 02-26-2010 09:13 AM

OR, you could build in the functionality for both and have an options menu for people.

LordXenos 02-26-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

OR, you could build in the functionality for both and have an options menu for people.
+1 ... I like options :)

Zeniwan 02-26-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordXenos (Post 446139)
+1 ... I like options :)

Me too.

nikc4 03-09-2010 06:06 PM

+1 if practical. I don't know what it takes, so I'd rather not pin the dev down.

My 2 cents


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 AM.