abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Zen X-Fi2 Applications & Development (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Metronome (app) for the X-Fi2. Question on Beep (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54618)

x130844 04-26-2010 02:09 PM

Metronome (app) for the X-Fi2. Question on Beep

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,
I'm new here, i just finished creating a new metronome to be used live.
I'll post the features once i upload it here. but i have a question.
The audio.beep() is not coming through the headphones. Only the speaker. I did set the volume to 25. Still nothing through the jack.
Other apps work fine, i am pretty sure the play wave would work fine too. The mp3 i have on there play fine. Just not my app.
Any idea of what could be wrong?
I have the latest firmware from few days ago.

Thanks!

PS: Edited
Here's the app, attached to this email.
Please, have creative lab update their firmware, it is BUGGY! (sound volume dropping)

Habhome 04-26-2010 03:42 PM

I'm not entirely sure how the beep function works since I've never used it, perhaps it always goes out the speaker. Have you tried using an independent .wav file for the beep and use the play function? I'm pretty sure that goes through the headphones, although I rarely have them on when using apps so I can't guarantee it.

x130844 04-26-2010 04:40 PM

Pretty sure that would work, but i didn't want to use the wave function because of the close timing ( you know, being a metronome and all). i thought the OS beep and os.wait() would work. and sure enough it is very accurate. I guess i can run some tests with wave and see if it is as accurate as the OS beep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habhome (Post 465861)
I'm not entirely sure how the beep function works since I've never used it, perhaps it always goes out the speaker. Have you tried using an independent .wav file for the beep and use the play function? I'm pretty sure that goes through the headphones, although I rarely have them on when using apps so I can't guarantee it.

Brett_val 04-27-2010 02:49 AM

I'm playing around with audio.beep() and at my player it works also through the headphones?

It's this beep: audio.beep(440,100)

x130844 04-28-2010 05:46 PM

Yes i guess it does work, but really really low, even with the volume set at 25. (hardcoded).
I believe i am simply experiencing the bug mentioned where the audio would drop step by step until totally mute. (wav and audio if via headphones). I am using: 1.20.08.
I am thinking there's a bug in their doc, or incomplete or a bug in their firmware.
PS: the drum app posted on this forum behaves the same way too, the sound gets lower and lower.
Yet all teh other app work fine (their push game thingy for example). so something they are not telling us i think. I have no idea..
anyone?

x130844 04-29-2010 12:02 PM

found the issue >> Bug in Firmware 1.20.08

ok, after some tests. 1.20.08 firmware has audio bugs with headphones plugged in if the volume is >=15.
The sound will lower until nothing can be heard.

lloonnee2 06-17-2010 12:08 PM

o.o
Can't wait till it's released >.<

Brett_val 06-17-2010 01:19 PM

There have been more requests for such an app, and Habhome also posted some really helpful piece of code here.

x130844 06-17-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett_val (Post 477749)
There have been more requests for such an app, and Habhome also posted some really helpful piece of code here.

I have also some crude code for BPM entry.
You tap the screen and it tells you the BPM.
Unfortunately, for my taste, it is not precise enough as the screen is not the most reactive i've seen. I tried to use the HOME button, but that's even worse.
I do not do averages, just the latest 2 taps. which gives me generally in the ball park, pretty useful at practice. but i am sure you guys would find a better one, in which case i'll use yours then :D

x130844 06-17-2010 05:54 PM

oups. forgot to mention that at the starter thread now has the attachement for my metronome app if you guys are interested.

Habhome 06-18-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x130844 (Post 477839)
I have also some crude code for BPM entry.
You tap the screen and it tells you the BPM.
Unfortunately, for my taste, it is not precise enough as the screen is not the most reactive i've seen. I tried to use the HOME button, but that's even worse.
I do not do averages, just the latest 2 taps. which gives me generally in the ball park, pretty useful at practice. but i am sure you guys would find a better one, in which case i'll use yours then :D

My code in the link makes as stated an average of 5 taps. I timed it when tapping once every second with the help of an analog watch, and it showed exactly 60BPM as the result. So it's quite exact I'd say, you just need to make sure you get good and concise pressure on the screen when tapping, you can't do it too light.

lloonnee2 07-27-2010 09:15 AM

Is there any chance of making the Beep last longer? The Metronome works fine for me (no dropping in volume), but it's a bit hard to rely on it for long usage since it stops beeping after a short amount of time.
Perhaps the user could key in the time (in seconds) for the duration in which the beep lasts?

Edit: Forgot to say thanks for the app though :D

blikbier 07-27-2010 11:57 AM

Maby a stupid question but what is a metronome, and how does it work? :P

RobertsAccount 07-27-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blikbier (Post 486549)
Maby a stupid question but what is a metronome, and how does it work? :P

A metronome is any device that produces regular ticks (beats), this is very useful for musicians. For example, I play guitar and sing, a metronome would help me keep in time.

A lot of bands playing live will also have a metronome playing in their earpieces so that they don't speed up/slow down.

blikbier 07-28-2010 05:50 AM

O, I get it. Ty :D

risingforce_188 10-22-2011 11:00 AM

why do the metronom stop after a short time?

Habhome 10-22-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by risingforce_188 (Post 580809)
why do the metronom stop after a short time?

I don't know, probably coded that way. Perhaps the programmer thought it was only needed to start off the song. Or, it might be your device which goes into sleep-mode, check your settings for that.