abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Samsung (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need USB data/charging cable for YH-920 gs (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57415)

AlfonsoBongon 09-04-2010 11:19 AM

Need USB data/charging cable for YH-920 gs

Hi guys,

I need a USB cable for a YH-920 GS ("napster" model). Ebay is by far the cheapest, but the only cables advertised as for my player are from sellers in the Far East and delivery takes a long time. UK sellers have cables for the YP models. Are these the same as for the YH-920? Reading the blurb in the Eastern listings it appears they are; however the UK guys only claim their cables are good for the YPs. Amazon is equally confusing. Can anyone help? Cheers, Alfonso

lebellium 09-04-2010 12:36 PM

There are dozens and dozens of YP models. All of them do not use the same cable (at least, 4 different cables).

The YH-920 cable is the same as for the YH-820 and YH-925. Only.

AlfonsoBongon 09-05-2010 03:58 AM

Ah good, that clears things up. Cheers!

AlfonsoBongon 09-08-2010 07:01 AM

Further YH-920 question - battery dead?

Just spent an hour trawling google for an answer to this so now I'm trying here. Any help much appreciated.

Just received a replacement USB/charging cable for a YH-920 (GS "napster" model) I bought as "untested". I was anticipating a few problems, so no surprise that it wont charge when plugged in.

When the USB is plugged in the player displays "LOW BATTERY Connect to charger" with a low battery icon and a lightning zig-zag icon above the writing. The computer does not recognise the player - nothing comes up in "my computer" (Windows XP).

I'm guessing I need to replace the battery. Anyone know if I'm right? Cheers, Alfonso.

lebellium 09-08-2010 07:24 AM

I guess it wasn't necessary to open a new thread so I merged the 2 threads ;)

The battery is probably almost dead since the YH-920 is a very old DAP (Did you lose the USB cable and stop using the YH-920 recently?)
But if there is absolutely no reaction from the computer and the player, I rather think there is an issue with the USB cable itself or the USB controller on the YH-920

AlfonsoBongon 09-08-2010 08:53 AM

Balls, looks like it's more complicated than I anticipated.

The player I've recently bought on ebay for 1 as a project, hoping to get it working on the cheap and to install rockbox. It was sold "as is" with no extras, manuals, cables, docking station etc. and untested. I thought that most probably I'd just have to replace the battery and/or hard-drive, which looks pretty simple from what I've read.

That's why I needed the USB cable, which came from a reputable UK buisness and which was sold as "fully working". The fact that the display comes on when plugged in, albeit with the "low battery - please connect charger" message, suggests to me that the cable works and that it's something in the player broken. The battery I can easily replace, but not at all sure about diagnosing/repairing a USB controller. So might have got in too deep here.. :confused:

Many thanks for your help. Appreciate that as it's such an old player I might have trouble fixing it. Wondering if I should spend the 10 on a battery now, or just admit defeat.

Just discovered your other forum, which is good for me since I read French pretty well. Cheers for the quick replies; this is better than most company's customer service departments!

lebellium 09-08-2010 09:42 AM

Okay, with your explainations I understand better your situation now but the issue remains complex :)

So when you use a universal USB charger with the USB cable, it displays "low battery - please connect to charger"?

When you plug it to the computer, does is appear as a known or unknown device in the device manager? Do you hear the typical Windows sound when you connect any USB device?

I thought that even if the battery was fully dead, a DAP would be recognized by the computer (A USB key doesn't need a battery to work on a PC for example) but maybe I'm wrong and a new battery would solve the issue.

But unfortunately you can't be sure until you try as the problem could be also the USB/battery charger controller etc :/

Here are some pictures of the components inside: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SamsungYH920
You can read "Power Manager and Battery Charger: Linear LTC3455" This component might be faulty?

But well I'm studying economics, not electronics and computers so my knowledges and skills are limited regarding hardware

edit:
oh and you can try the various drivers and install softwares here: http://www.samsung.com/download/Mode...e=SW&language=
Maybe that can help the YH-920 to be recognized

AntonZ 05-06-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlfonsoBongon (Post 497842)
Just spent an hour trawling google for an answer to this so now I'm trying here. Any help much appreciated.

Just received a replacement USB/charging cable for a YH-920 (GS "napster" model) I bought as "untested". I was anticipating a few problems, so no surprise that it wont charge when plugged in.

When the USB is plugged in the player displays "LOW BATTERY Connect to charger" with a low battery icon and a lightning zig-zag icon above the writing. The computer does not recognise the player - nothing comes up in "my computer" (Windows XP).

I'm guessing I need to replace the battery. Anyone know if I'm right? Cheers, Alfonso.

hello there. i have one of yh925gs, i was just wondering if you could give me a tip of where to get a charger for it? i have checked shops, searched the internet, for a while now and i just cant find a charger for sale anywhere. thanks for your attention. looking forward to your advice.
Anton