abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Samsung T10 (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   T10 dead, any replacement suggestion ? (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60522)

Mario22 01-10-2011 03:40 PM

T10 dead, any replacement suggestion ?

Hi

I need a new player. I don't want to go the "touchscreen" gadget route, I already have a samsung Jet and it pisses me off enough. (this stupid phone keeps muting sound when I put it on my ear to actually answer a phone call).

What would be your best suggestion ?
8 or 16Gb, small size, medium screen for cover art display, UMS, no need for cover flow, games, video TV or anything, just the best sound possible ??

Enigmatic 01-11-2011 05:43 AM

SanDisk Fuze with Rockbox.

Mario22 01-12-2011 04:09 PM

Interesting, actually ..

I just went out to the shop and bought myself an Archos 3 vision. It was small, cheap, and had a FM transmitter which might prove useful. Then I fired it up, tested it with my Sennheiser earphones and .. decided to take it back.

This thing is useless:
- won't read id3v2 tags, I had to convert some to id3v1 for testing
- won't order your song in correct order (album order, nor alphabetical), all you get is random even though the album tags are correct (when in id3v1, without utf8 ..)
- incapable of sorting your songs first by artist, then album; I mean, you select Motörhead and you get all your 100+ Motörhead tracks in random order
- you will get Mot rhead instead of the ö, same thing for Bjork if you're not into rock'n'roll

I don't know how people can cope with these gadgets.

Do you think the Fuze+ might be a good option ?
Heck, if I can get a Fuze I'll try Rockbox, that sounds fun.

Lagoo56 01-12-2011 04:45 PM

Rockboxed Sansa Fuze will cure your problems:)

Enigmatic 01-12-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario22 (Post 529186)
Do you think the Fuze+ might be a good option ?

No. I do not have a Fuze+, but it has received mixed reviews.
Quote:

Heck, if I can get a Fuze I'll try Rockbox, that sounds fun.
So much fun, it should be outlawed. Seriously, the MP3 player to get is the Fuze and then Rockboxing it. I like my Rockboxed Fuzes more than my Samsung and Sony MP3 players. The T10 has two very good equalizers and a good bass-boost feature.

But Rockbox has an excellent five-band parametric equalizer. It also supports Replay Gain and offers much more features than other inexpensive MP3 players using non-Rockbox firmware. The customization options with Rockbox are incredible. An amazing value. I have four Rockboxed Fuzes along with a Rockboxed SanDisk Clip+.

Mario22 01-12-2011 05:30 PM

The point is .. I can't find a Fuze on my usual geek shopping sites. All you get is Fuze+.

Enigmatic 01-12-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario22 (Post 529219)
The point is .. I can't find a Fuze on my usual geek shopping sites. All you get is Fuze+.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s=fuze&x=0&y=0.

Mario22 01-12-2011 06:01 PM

Thanks for the link.
But I'm not ready to pay twice the fuze+ price for an aging device.
There MUST be other options.

(the rockbox fun is tempting nonetheless)

Lagoo56 01-12-2011 06:16 PM

The Fuze is selling like hotcakes,lowest price for the 8GB version is $70,add a $20 16GB microSD card to that and you have 24GB :)

skip252 01-12-2011 06:47 PM

Try the Sansa Outlet store. The last I checked they had the 8GB fuze for $70. New in box, full 1 year warranty.

Also take a look at last years Sony E345 or S545. Check SonyStyle. They just started the clearance a few days after Christmas and had all the colors in stock when the last time I checked a couple of days ago. Solid players with a nice feature set. I have both the Fuze and the E345 and like the Sony better right out the box. However once you Rockbox the Fuze it's no contest.

Mario22 01-14-2011 02:28 AM

Hi there,
I eventually bought a NWZ S754 (they didn't have the 16Gb S755). It will create nested lists (artist/albums/songs), it's small, pretty nice sound (a little bit cold in my opinion), same size as the T10, no games/WiFi/flash/android market whatever.
Linux compliant and good looks.

Thanks for your help and I'll keep an eye on rockbox anyway.