abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cowon D3 (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=251)
-   -   Going Back (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60650)

globiboulga 01-15-2011 11:09 PM

Going Back

It's here folks. It's landed. It's described as best as possible here:

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38492

It's going back...

Marvin the Martian 01-15-2011 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
damn....that sucks. I bet this emoticon describes you during the process....

globiboulga 01-15-2011 11:29 PM

I'll give the new firmware a go, but frankly... :mad:

musichound 01-15-2011 11:43 PM

No gapless playback? No reset button?

EPIC FAIL!

dfkt 01-16-2011 08:25 AM

What an excellent, entertaining read. Too bad it had to end this way.

lestatar 01-16-2011 09:09 AM

+1 Great read! But indeed, what a shame...still, an invaluable heads-up for folks.

deadohiosky 01-16-2011 09:19 AM

a fine read, indeed. i'm sorry for all the inconveniences that "thing" has caused you...in a matter of a few hours.

it's a devastating picture you're drawing yet you make it a pleasure to look at. (well, maybe that's just human kind and the indecent delight for train wrecks)

what did 1.23 change for you, any change for the positive? are you still determined to return it?

and i must say... i'm glad the D3 isn't as awesome a device (most of) the specs and a first glance would indicate.
makes me love me J3 even more.

rohit3192 01-16-2011 09:26 AM

First flop of 2011.
Quote:

and i must say... i'm glad the D3 isn't as awesome a device (most of) the specs and a first glance would indicate.
makes me love me J3 even more.
Germany and India agree to this point.

TechyguyDR 01-16-2011 09:48 AM

Well that sounds just awful. No gapless? Seriously?

Also did you try holding down the power button for 10 seconds when it froze? That might work as a hard reset.

Kizune 01-16-2011 09:58 AM

I agree with the OP that the D3 sucks in its current state. Why on earth did Cowon a release a product which obviously is unusable and fails on very simple tasks?
I'd rather buy a fully developed product instead of a device which always freezes and lags.

However, I think the D3 will become better after some FW releases. That's Cowon's strategy after all.

rohit3192 01-16-2011 10:06 AM

^ But FW update can't resolve hard reset.
Even J3 sometimes freeze so reset is a must.
Edit: on second though when my laptop freeze I press and hold power button and computer shut down,so,I wonder if something similar works with D3.

Kizune 01-16-2011 10:18 AM

"But FW update can't resolve hard reset.
Even J3 sometimes freeze so reset is a must."

I wasn't talking about the reset button, I meant the D3 in general (regarding lags, freezes and so on). ;)

rohit3192 01-16-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizune (Post 530180)
"But FW update can't resolve hard reset.
Even J3 sometimes freeze so reset is a must."

I wasn't talking about the reset button, I meant the D3 in general (regarding lags, freezes and so on). ;)

That I definitely expect.
I think that Cowon guys will be more concerned that their product meets peoples expectations.

9000blackbird 01-16-2011 11:24 AM

I tend to think that the D3 will be great after those start problems.
Maybe until february cowon will handle it. I really want to buy the D3 instead the J3.

nodirectionhome 01-16-2011 12:00 PM

i'm glad i didn't buy one - this player intrigued me for a while.

rohit3192 01-16-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodirectionhome (Post 530212)
i'm glad i didn't buy one - this player intrigued me for a while.

I think we should wait before giving a final verdict.
who knows after after sometime(with FW upgrades) it becomes a really good player.

TechyguyDR 01-16-2011 01:55 PM

While I do trust that Cowon will eventually get it right through FW updates, its just so disappointing that they'd release a player in such poor condition. They have so much time before a release to get things right, so why not take the time to do so? Keep the bugs and what not to a minimum upon release so that not much is expected of the company from their future firmware releases. It just feels like they may have spent too much time making the UI look pretty rather than getting down to making this as smooth a player as they could have.

deadohiosky 01-16-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechyguyDR (Post 530249)
While I do trust that Cowon will eventually get it right through FW updates, its just so disappointing that they'd release a player in such poor condition. They have so much time before a release to get things right, so why not take the time to do so? Keep the bugs and what not to a minimum upon release so that not much is expected of the company from their future firmware releases. It just feels like they may have spent too much time making the UI look pretty rather than getting down to making this as smooth a player as they could have.

exactly my thoughts. they should have down it right before release not after.
this "abusing customers as beta testers" ethos gets on my nerves.

products have become more sophisticated over the last few years, no doubt about that. but debug tools have become even more sophisticated and human debuggers have become more knowledgeable as well.

i'm pretty sure the D3 was rushed to the market,( like so many Cowon products in the past) in order to compete with the stuff that's going to be released this year (e.g. galaxy player)

they will eventually make it better over the course of a year, i guess, but how are you going to communicate that to the average customer:" we know you paid for a working device. and it works. we didn't promise it will work flawlessly, but we're going to change that. isn't that nice."

Olley 01-16-2011 02:24 PM

Sounds like their first attempt using android, and they aren't that good at it yet. I expect them to catch up quick though. They have to be reading the bad reviews, and it appears they are pushing out quick updates rather than sit on it.

globiboulga 01-16-2011 06:03 PM

I've updated the initial review, using the new 1.23 firmware. The payer has not frozen on me since, but there are still instances of lag, the annoying ones being during music playback (you can read the review to get an idea of what that means, I was listening to the player while writing the review and indicated stuttering instances with a (lag) note.

The sound of the player is simply awesome I have to say :D. Better than the S9. It's a shame that it stills stutters on occasion... :(