abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Anythingbutiphone (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   Opinion needed, first phone (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62157)

Sylak 03-20-2011 10:05 PM

Opinion needed, first phone

Hi, im gonna get my first cell phone ever. don't i'm not a phone noob im a techno geek too. just that i never felt the need for a cell phone. so i kind of consider getting a android phone. WP7 seem cool. but i prefer android. i play with Iphones and android device of my friends a lots. so i know how it work. ( and i love to browse around and learn how it work.) i was going for a Nexus One ,videotron got it for 0$. but it seem all provider will have the NExus S by april. even if the Build quality of HTC is really better, overall the Nexus S seem better. a little bigger but the Screen is also great ( i've play with 2 galaxy s) should i'll wait? i could get a Nexus S on Rogers ( better netwokr in my area and their plan are good for me)
or other option. Should i get a wp7 ? im a windows user. xboxlive msn and hotmail.
anyway any opinion and input will be helpful Thank :-)

Xinz 03-20-2011 10:31 PM

How long can you wait? Wait for Atrix, Optimus 3D, or Galaxy S II if you can

Sylak 03-21-2011 05:16 AM

Moto atrix is already here, but with Bell, so there no way i'mgoing with them. the galaxy s II look nice. but I think is gonna be 4.3inch screen. to big. i prefer 3.7-4 inch. i dont want to have a huge phone. or a super thick one. and single core phone are quit enough for me. i,m in no rush, so i can wait. there is so new HTC one that look really cool. but i dont know if any canadian carrier will have them. we are always behind USA for phone choice

kasrhp 03-21-2011 09:50 AM

The differences between the two platforms are pretty vast. Windows Phone is a new platform that is really looking to take off here in the next couple of months. It isn't as full featured as Android ATM, but it definitely has its plusses. I have the Dell Venue Pro with WP7, and am really enjoying the OS. It is much smoother, more efficient, and generally a more polished feel when compared to Android. Plus, as a whole, while WP7 doesnt have the app selection Android does, the apps are much cleaner and consistent with the WP UI (Metro), where Android is pretty much a crap shoot depending on which app you get. I am unsure how well the XBOX live works, as I have PS3. But I hear the implementation is pretty cool, and the Xbox games for WP7 are pretty solid (Assassins Creed being one of them).

But, Android has more customization options, and there is much more to tweak. The OS is more mature (taking the fluidity out), and offers some greater functionality over WP7, especially if you like to tinker and dive into custom ROMs.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. The deciding factors fall on how much power you want over your phone. Windows works, and works well. Office is integrated nicely, and the phone needs to continue to mature over this next year. Android is ready now, and brings mass customization, but this also brings mass fragmentation.

The Nexus One is something I would pass on. It's a good phone, but its already a year old now. The Nexus S is better in every regard, but is extremely cheap feeling.

medion 03-21-2011 02:18 PM

I haven't paid a lot of attention lately to the unlocked phones available for Canadian carriers, but look into the HTC Incredible S if/when it becomes available. Faster CPU then the Nexus S, more RAM, better/smoother UI (IMO, Sense > Vanilla), but the GPU is inferior to that of the Nexus S. The phone, despite having a 4" screen, is also smaller, having less space dedicated to a bezel.

YeppBoy 03-21-2011 07:02 PM

Find a phone and carrier that works for you. For me it's a gigabyte of data, unlimited text/minutes and a Samsung Captivate on AT&T. What works for me may not work for you. People fail to realize that and it's true.

Sylak 03-22-2011 02:24 PM

Yeah, since i never had a cell phone before, i don't yet, exactly. But i won call that much, and i'll always call the same people, so Rogers have a 'top 5' option, unlimited time with those numbers. betweenn 100-150 minute, and 500meg of data should be enough. but here in Quebec, the plans offer is bad compare to what you have in US, it's more expensive for less. i'll mostly use it to call, browse the net, use app and games. i got a wifi at home so i can do the bigger download home. Rogers got a nice plan that is around my need, i'll will wait a little like a month or 2 to see if some newer phone come. Wp7 really seem nice. but after thinking i gonna get myself a good android device. for the costumiztion and the 200 000 apps.

Thank to all