abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Walkman A Series (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   A840 Series and A850 series Question (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63116)

sony 05-13-2011 08:50 PM

A840 Series and A850 series Question
 
Besides small cosmetic differences. Does anyone know the main or subtle differences between the older A840 series
(A845, A846, A847) and the A850 series ? (A855, A856, A857)

nodirectionhome 05-14-2011 03:55 AM

Not really - here is a link, though: http://forum.xcitefun.net/sony-walkm...er-t52439.html

BTW I had the older A845 and I would say avoid unless Sony have implemented radical improvements.

Poor screen.
No Playlists.
Buttons are way too small.
Shaped all wrong, feels hard and angular.

sony 05-14-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodirectionhome (Post 553956)
Not really - here is a link, though: http://forum.xcitefun.net/sony-walkm...er-t52439.html

BTW I had the older A845 and I would say avoid unless Sony have implemented radical improvements.

Poor screen.
No Playlists.
Buttons are way too small.
Shaped all wrong, feels hard and angular.

yeah thanks. That was the type of information needed. What you don't like about the A845. No playlists . . .
I thought the screen was OLED and you're saying it's poor ? I think i'll go back to looking at the S755

dfkt 05-15-2011 08:28 AM

The AMOLED screen on the A845 is rather poor, indeed. Way too oversaturated, too much contrast, and low resolution. Compared to other AMOLED screens, like on the Cowon J3 or S9, it is rather disappointing.

nodirectionhome 05-15-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sony (Post 554064)
yeah thanks. That was the type of information needed. What you don't like about the A845. No playlists . . .
I thought the screen was OLED and you're saying it's poor ? I think i'll go back to looking at the S755

The S755 is better in just about every way - I have the 8Gb S754. Not a lot of people have them because it seems not to have made it to the US but it really is a great player. The screen is lcd but Tru-Black, and colours are punchy and vivid without being over-saturated. I would say it's as good a player as the Cowon J3, just in a different class (size, capacity, form factor, etc.)

If you aren't accustomed to OLED screens, and you see the A845/6/7 you would probably think the screen was OK. Rod Stewart just appears quite a bit more orange than usual, and the J3, or most modern phones with an OLED/AMOLED are really quite a lot better as dfkt says.

The other thing is the screen size - 2.8" - that is kinda small for video on a device.

sony 05-17-2011 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodirectionhome (Post 554129)
The S755 is better in just about every way

1. Can you do bookmarking ? (S755) - I also listen to a lot of podcasts and audiobooks. If so how many bookmarks can be stored ?

2. I notice this can also do podcasts. What essentially is the difference between a normal mp3 file and a podcast ?
Is it something in the header of the file ?

I know my brother cannot put his podcasts onto his iPod 4 for example:
They keep going into the album/music section unless he downloads them directly from iTunes.
(and he can't stand using iTunes for that matter . . .)

lestatar 05-17-2011 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodirectionhome (Post 554129)
>>>SNIPPED...Rod Stewart just appears quite a bit more orange than usual...SNIPPED...

rofl...sorry for the OT, but this made me spit my water up ya bum. :)

sony 05-18-2011 07:30 AM

I just bought the S755 off ebay at an exceptionally cheap price. I'll let you know what I think when it makes delivery.

Just Some Guy 05-18-2011 11:59 AM

With that name, I think you'll like it a lot more than everyone else would. :D

Ghibli 05-23-2011 07:15 AM

I wish Sony would update the A840 to S750 firmware standard, with on-the-go playlists. Currently the only thing holding the S750 back for me is that it maxes out at 16GB, so my 32GB A846 is still what I need.
Otherwise, I have to admit that although the A840 is far more beautiful, I don't need the bigger screen since I only use it for music.

Just Some Guy 05-23-2011 01:09 PM

Well, the screen isn't that big at all. It's only 2.8 or so, which is tiny. It's fine for album art and maybe looking at the occasional picture... but not much else.

But yeah, they need to offer the larger capacities on the other models. The A series seems to be their "look how fancy we can make this" line. I'd take a 64 GB S540 in a heartbeat.

lb77 06-24-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sony (Post 554534)
I just bought the S755 off ebay at an exceptionally cheap price. I'll let you know what I think when it makes delivery.


so far what do you think of the S755?

lb77 06-24-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodirectionhome (Post 554129)
The S755 is better in just about every way - I have the 8Gb S754. Not a lot of people have them because it seems not to have made it to the US but it really is a great player. The screen is lcd but Tru-Black, and colours are punchy and vivid without being over-saturated. I would say it's as good a player as the Cowon J3, just in a different class (size, capacity, form factor, etc.)

If you aren't accustomed to OLED screens, and you see the A845/6/7 you would probably think the screen was OK. Rod Stewart just appears quite a bit more orange than usual, and the J3, or most modern phones with an OLED/AMOLED are really quite a lot better as dfkt says.

The other thing is the screen size - 2.8" - that is kinda small for video on a device.

so does the S755 have better sound than A845?

what about the screen difference which is better


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.