abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archos Generation 8 Android Devices (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   One Month With The Archos 43 (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63694)

Zapp 06-09-2011 05:10 PM

One Month With The Archos 43

It's been 30 days and I am ready to offer a few observations/opinions on the Archos 43. In brief, I like it. In fact, I like it a lot. I travell a lot, and the wifi on the 43 has proved to be invaluable for directions, maps, phone numbers, and restaurant and hotel reviews. Given a good web connection web pages load on the 43 in just a few seconds. NOTE: many, if not most, public wifi hotspots are slow, the 43 can only load as fast as the wifi connection. The wifi reception of the 43 is excellent. If there's an open wifi connection in the area, the 43 will sniff it out. You can use Skype on the 43. It's not a great wifi phone, but in an emergency even a mediocre phone is infinitely better than no phone.

When I first got the 43 the resistance screen made me want to smash the unit against the nearest wall and send the pieces back to Amazon. There's a steep learning curve with the resistance screen, but once you make curve, the resistance screen works very well. If you're going to be writing a novel or web surfing for hours at a time, get a lap top.

The 43 actually fits into the front pocket of a pair of jeans. You can read an e-book on it without much trouble. I would say it's close to the optimal size for portability versus usability. I might buy the new Archos with a 5" screen when it comes out, but I would not go smaller than
the 43.

It's not perfect, and it will soon be superceded by newer models. But it fills enough of my particular wants and needs that I feel it was money well spent. My emphasis was on portability. If I can't carry a device in my jacket or jeans pocket, it's of no use to me. The combination of portability, features, and price of the 43 was right for me. Your mileage may vary.

lestatar 06-10-2011 02:42 AM

Heya Zapp: Really good info on the "secondary" features of the 43 - thanks and I am sure your experiences will be useful to others.

Good karma! :D

Shorty15c4 06-24-2011 10:59 AM

Great observation, thanks for sharing that with us.

On Amazon, they are having the 43 on sale only for today for $175. I've been wanting to get the 43 for a while now but recently I've gotten a new phone, the Samsung reality, and paid $75 for it. But I love the phone and its excellent for texting. The thing is I was gonna get the 43, for when I was over wifi at my school to text and chat. And maybe use it for maps and such when I was driving. I've also heard that the sound quality of the music player was superb. Now I have a Sony Walkman X, apparently people say it has better sound quality.

My main question is, should I pass up a sale like this for the 43 given my situation?

WalkGood 06-24-2011 11:18 AM

Thanks for the observations and opinions, its a nice read. For someone like me whos probably not getting one it gives a good perspective from a user :)

Confispect 06-25-2011 01:24 AM

Sounds nice.

Congrats

Andrew B. 08-22-2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapp (Post 558002)
When I first got the 43 the resistance screen made me want to smash the unit against the nearest wall and send the pieces back to Amazon.

Could you explain the problem. I'm not familiar with touch screens.

steinburger1109 08-23-2011 12:13 AM

Glossary for Newbies. Look at "Capacitive touchscreen" and "Resistive touchscreen".