abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Samsung P3 (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   P3 Deadzones, how common? (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65409)

warriorscot 09-05-2011 11:59 AM

P3 Deadzones, how common?

There are other threads related to this but I wanted a good idea of the general issue not the specific problem.

For all you P3 former and current owners how many of you have experienced the deadzone problem. I am currently looking at getting my unit repaired by Samsung but it is out of warranty and the alternative is a new player(probably an x7 or J3). I seem to have gotten unlucky and have a pretty bad case of the deadzone with all but about a centimetre on the left hand side and the bottom scroll bar dead.

So I want to get a general idea of how common the problem is so if anyone with the issue could shout out. I would create a poll but can't find the option. And whether people have positive experiences of getting it repaired or fixing themselves.

lebellium 09-05-2011 12:42 PM

ABI is not representative of the P3 users. People come here because they have an issue with their player. Only few people are here because they love their player and enjoy it without problems.

But it is clearly a common issue. It's a defect on many P3 LCD panels. Almost every P3 user may experience this issue sooner or later (generally after one year), taking well care of the device or not. A defect is a defect.
For replacements Samsung use another LCD panel, probably for that reason.

The only solution is to replace the LCD panel. A replacement by Samsung out of warranty is very expensive and even if you do it yourself, it's still expensive ($100 on http://www.samsungparts.com/partslis...tegory=YPP3JCB )

RADo 09-05-2011 01:13 PM

I am "Still" a pround P3 owner. I sent my P3 Black to samsung because of the deadzones. after 1Month samsung sent me back a Brand new Samsung P3 Silver.
the repair/replacement is expensive (no warranty, my OLD p3 was 2 years old) cost me ~100$

feels good to know that samsung cares

warriorscot 09-05-2011 01:26 PM

I understand that it won't be that accurate but I just want a general idea of numbers. And there is lots of good stuff here even if you don't have an issue with a p3.

Well I am currently talking to samsung about it so will let people know.

However under EU and UK law the devices are covered for things like manufacturing defects for a minimum of 2 years(5 to 6 in the UK) so I am hopeful of getting it repaired. Under the law I'm not entitled to a new one but I am entitled to have it repaired or a partial refund. I really love my P3 but I am annoyed about the problem.

RADo 09-06-2011 02:09 PM

Its a really common problem, however check the p3 forum you will find a clearer view of how common.

DragonBottles 09-08-2011 12:09 PM

Half of my screen is dead, I refuse to pay to repair it. I'll just be getting a new player very soon, probably a Cowon J3.

RADo 09-08-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonBottles (Post 573783)
Half of my screen is dead, I refuse to pay to repair it. I'll just be getting a new player very soon, probably a Cowon J3.

J3,mmmmmm
But i Like my P3 more, better bluetooth/video features.

DragonBottles 09-10-2011 10:50 AM

Bluetooth doesn't bother me, nor do video features very much. J3's probably better suited for me.

RADo 09-10-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonBottles (Post 574127)
Bluetooth doesn't bother me, nor do video features very much. J3's probably better suited for me.

For you maybe, but not for me I really need the Bluetooth features (at least)

DragonBottles 09-16-2011 11:40 AM

Then keep your P3. Don't let me stop you. :P

RADo 09-19-2011 05:18 AM

Beleve me, I will :)

electron 09-19-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RADo (Post 573161)
I am "Still" a pround P3 owner. I sent my P3 Black to samsung because of the deadzones. after 1Month samsung sent me back a Brand new Samsung P3 Silver.
the repair/replacement is expensive (no warranty, my OLD p3 was 2 years old) cost me ~100$

feels good to know that samsung cares

this was exactly my experience too. but the (16gb) P3 I sent them was a replacement for my defective 8gb P2! If nothing else, I love samsung's stuff because they handled the situations above and beyond what I would have expected from a giant corp like that. (which is why I now use a samsung phone ;) )

anyway, carry on. enjoy your P3. (btw, the p3 is durable as crap. not that I would know this or anything.. :rolleyes:)

RADo 09-21-2011 01:38 PM

16Gb would have been nice. 8Gb is good but not as good as a 16gb
anw
What I "disliked" about samsung service is that they made me forget that i had a p3. In other words, they took too much time to replace my p3.

I have a P3 that i will keep sending to samsung whenever it fails until they release the r2 or something better...

maixiu 09-22-2011 12:08 PM

My P3 screen lost about 90% of its functionality. It started with a couple dead spots a year into my owning it and within 6 months nearly the entire screen was dead.

I'm sorry, but everyone giving Samsung the benefit of the doubt or expressing their pleasure at being charged only $100 to have it repaired are missing the boat. This was a debilitating and widespread flaw in the P3; that coincidentally seemed to announce itself not long after the warranty expired. Samsung should be ashamed of themselves for not doing a public recall and providing a cost-free solution to the issue. I'm thinking about a Galaxy player (if they ever arrive in the US) but the whole history of the touch screen issues with the P3 have seriously made me question Samsung as customer-friendly manufacturer. While I thought the P3 was a great unit when operable, I've never had a problem with the 4 Sony players I've purchased and as such and may just wait for their new Android player

RADo 09-22-2011 03:56 PM

You point is correct. Samsung should have recalled P3's or at least a cost-free solution.
However, to me it is mere loyality to samsung and not finding finding another player to replace my P3 not even the J3(which honestly i liked).
The galaxy player wont do for me because it is a galaxy S without the SIM part and thats more, much more than i want in a MEDIA PLAYER I got a galaxy S you know. This is why the R2 would be perfect for me.
the issue with Sony that IMO they dont make decent VIDEO Player but great MP3 players i had the good ol' NW-e013f. I actually loved it except that part for it had no Plug n' Play. we'll see about the new sony android player

Ryou 10-03-2011 12:31 AM

I've had mine for 1.5 years and I have a small deadspot in the top right corner of the screen, but that's it. It's annoying but I can still find ways to get around it.

RADo 10-06-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryou (Post 577872)
I've had mine for 1.5 years and I have a small deadspot in the top right corner of the screen, but that's it. It's annoying but I can still find ways to get around it.

it all starts with that Top right corner..

pgh1969pa 10-07-2011 12:36 PM

Two years and still works. Touch response was always a little sluggish since day one and its no better or worse.

That being said, the screen issue could've been handled better by Samsung (low cost or no cost repairs of touch screen failures) but absolutely don't blame them for not recalling a mp3 player for a non-safety related issue. A certain percentage of users will get the latest whatever before the unit reaches failure or the warranty expires anyways. Others will break thiers and void the warranty. Samsung could fix the remaining units that fail and not the ones broken by the customers or no longer used.

RADo 10-09-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgh1969pa (Post 578505)
Two years and still works. Touch response was always a little sluggish since day one and its no better or worse.

That being said, the screen issue could've been handled better by Samsung (low cost or no cost repairs of touch screen failures) but absolutely don't blame them for not recalling a mp3 player for a non-safety related issue. A certain percentage of users will get the latest whatever before the unit reaches failure or the warranty expires anyways. Others will break thiers and void the warranty. Samsung could fix the remaining units that fail and not the ones broken by the customers or no longer used.

Agree :)

vegetaleb 10-28-2011 07:39 AM

If only we can get a ''virtual mouse'' in flash format so we can access dead zones...