abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip Rockbox (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   Rockbox - Your Favourite CLIP Themes and why. (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66895)

Malsinado 12-06-2011 05:36 PM

Rockbox - Your Favourite CLIP Themes and why.
 
What are your favourite Rockbox Clip (including the limited few, a the moment, Zip ones) Themes?

What do you like about any particular theme(s)?

Do you switch themes often, or do you tend to stick to the one theme?

EDIT: Sorry. I said Clip above, because I don't have other MP3 Players. If you want, please feel free to state your favourite themes for any Rockbox devices and the reasons why you really like that particular theme.

Marvin the Martian 12-06-2011 05:55 PM

My all-time favorite for the Clip+ is made by forum member epithetless.... http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?...=sansaclipplus

As far as the Zip, right now there are indeed only two on the theme site, so I'm using dfkt's theme http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=1462&target=sansaclipzip

lebellium's theme for the Zip is nice but it is too bright for my personal taste.

I used to switch themes a lot, but I always end up sticking with a favorite eventually.

epithetless 12-06-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian (Post 587499)
My all-time favorite for the Clip+ is made by forum member epithetless.... http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?...=sansaclipplus

http://www.emoticons.free.fr/smileys/Default/blush.gif

Marvin the Martian 12-06-2011 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless (Post 587541)

I am awaiting your efforts on the Zip. :D

G4Oblivion 12-07-2011 05:45 AM

My favorite theme is my own - LightDT for the Clip+.
It's a simple WPS theme that I created to fit my needs. It only shows the track title and artist name. If it cannot find a track title it falls back to the file name and if it cannot find the artist name it falls back to album artist. (If it cannot find either artist or album artist it shows nothing)
It also shows detailed information about the audio file.

I enjoyed rockbox failsafe on my Nano, but it wasn't as detailed on the Clip+, so I created one that was.

bbtiger 12-07-2011 11:11 AM

This is my first time here but I got to chime in with one vote for lebellium's theme. Admitted that I switch back and forth to dfkt's too:) . It's so awesome having Rockbox on the ZIP. Thank you all for the work you put in to make the ZIP my favorite PMP :D (I rarely touch my Ipod classic any longer:p). Once you touch Rockbox, you're hooked;)

Steff8000 12-07-2011 11:32 AM

I really like the OF theme. Maybe it can be ported to Rockbox? :)

dfkt 12-07-2011 12:03 PM

Rockbox currently doesn't support album art as background (with fonts and graphics over it), so the OF theme can't really be ported. Of course a simple static backdrop would be possible. Also, personally I find there's a lot of useful info lacking on the OF's playback screen, like elapsed/total track time and volume level.

I'm looking forward to having album art as background on Rockbox, then I can redo my theme with full album art, not just a crop.

Malsinado 12-07-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt (Post 587602)
Rockbox currently doesn't support album art as background (with fonts and graphics over it), so the OF theme can't really be ported. Of course a simple static backdrop would be possible. Also, personally I find there's a lot of useful info lacking on the OF's playback screen, like elapsed/total track time and volume level.

I'm looking forward to having album art as background on Rockbox, then I can redo my theme with full album art, not just a crop.

That change is coming. I think that this is what you're looking for:

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,29439.0.html

Where would I find the OF theme?

dfkt 12-07-2011 01:42 PM

Yes, I know it's coming, that's why I'm looking forward to it. ;)

OF = original firmware by Sandisk, not a Rockbox theme.

Vapre 12-22-2011 12:52 PM

For the Clip+, LSE5 (formerly LSE4).
Battery life (time estimation left)
Time
Volume (in dB)
# in playlist
Artist
Track
Album
Timebar

It's got all the information I like to have upfront and it's readable.

*Edit* about the only other thing I'd like to see but don't need to know that often is file information (size, Kbps, etc) and it would clutter up the display.

probio 02-25-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vapre (Post 590191)
For the Clip+, LSE5 (formerly LSE4).
Battery life (time estimation left)
Time
Volume (in dB)
# in playlist
Artist
Track
Album
Timebar

It's got all the information I like to have upfront and it's readable.

*Edit* about the only other thing I'd like to see but don't need to know that often is file information (size, Kbps, etc) and it would clutter up the display.

This is my favourite too. I installed Rockbox today and tried several themes, but didn't like the clutterness from extra file information (like id tags, kbps etc)

LSE5 is stylish, simplistic and easy to read.

probio 02-25-2012 12:46 PM

H12 is my new favourite, more simplistic and easier to read!

eightbitsprite 02-27-2012 01:44 AM

I just use dfkt's theme. Haven't really bothered to change it, since it's comfortable to read (for a tiny screen) and well, it works. :P

Brett_val 02-28-2012 01:01 PM

I'm also using Dfkt's theme(s). I tried some other ones from the Rockbox themes pages but the one from Dfkt gives me the most information, so I sticked with it.

For the Zip I find Lebellium's "Samsung like" very nice too (link) but in the end, I prefer a lot of info on screen, plain and simple.

One oddity about the Zip themes... none have a peak-meter which I really liked on Dfkt's Clip+ theme, I wonder why that hasn't made it to the Zip theme as well... perhaps it isn't possible on the Zip.

skip252 02-28-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett_val (Post 600976)
One oddity about the Zip themes... none have a peak-meter which I really liked on Dfkt's Clip+ theme, I wonder why that hasn't made it to the Zip theme as well... perhaps it isn't possible on the Zip.

Look closer.:D The Fsc 1.0, Grn 1.0, Pro 1.0 and BAA2 themes all have peak meters. The default WPS also has a peak meters.

I don't create themes so I don't know how much impact it's going to have but I'm seeing changes made at some very basic levels that seem as if it's going to make it possible to use graphics in ways that hasn't been possible before. It seems that the themeing possibilities are being opened out, not cut back.

dfkt 02-28-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett_val (Post 600976)
One oddity about the Zip themes... none have a peak-meter which I really liked on Dfkt's Clip+ theme, I wonder why that hasn't made it to the Zip theme as well... perhaps it isn't possible on the Zip.

When I made the first them with the big album art, I just didn't include peak meters since there is so little space on screen - not a single pixel to sacrifice. Well, and then I guess I just forgot about the peak meters in the later themes. ;)

Also, peak meters appear to drain the battery faster, since the screen needs to be refreshed more often. But that's probably not really an issue when the screen is off most of the time.

al3rd 03-04-2012 08:21 PM

My Favorite Rockbox themes

Sansa Clip+
iCU (for radio)
asianclip+ iconsets (wps and base skin)
UniCatcher, Yawps (for Japanese Music)
Clock
Mixtape (for playing Classic / Rock Music)

Sansa Clip Zip
DFTK (esp. min. FSAA) (base skin & fm)
Pro Blu & Grn 1.0 (I love the volume knob use in this theme)

Brett_val 03-06-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip252 (Post 600990)
Look closer.:D (...)

Ah now I see, looks good indeed, really nice how they are vertical. But those themes still look too fancy for my tastes, and too low on info. Thanks for putting my face against the screen though ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt (Post 600992)
(...) Well, and then I guess I just forgot about the peak meters in the later themes. ;) (...)

I see you included peak-meters in your new theme :) It works great and I like how the album art only shows on "idle". Thanks, I gave it a 10!

dfkt 03-06-2012 12:29 PM

Glad you like it, Brett. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.