abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Samsung Galaxy Player Series (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   NavFree/GPS issue (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68299)

maixiu 02-27-2012 03:08 PM

NavFree/GPS issue

After using NavFree for a few weeks, my GPS suddenly wouldn't turn on. Even with the box checked to use GPS, the icon would not appear in the tray at the top of the screen. And whenever I would open NavFree it would tell me that the GPS was off. There was no loss of GPS functionality because if I was connected to wifi and opened Google Navigation, the GPS icon would then appear on the screen and my current position would show on the Google map.

So I deleted Navfree and reinstalled and that appears to have solved that part of the problem. Unfortunately, it is now asking me to download what maps I need. I believe that when I deleted NavFree, I only deleted the program and not the maps. Thus the maps (USA) should still be on my unit. As I said, it is now asking me to download maps before letting me use the software but curiously the USA map is not among the choices, which leads me to believe that it recognizes that the USA maps are still on my unit.

I figured I would find the maps via Windows and delete them that way but I can't find them. So were they actually deleted in the first place? And if so, why isn't it giving me the option of reinstalling them?

tcat 02-27-2012 04:16 PM

Navfree installs in the android/data folder, so when you delete it everything in there goes away. I haven't used it in a while, so not sure if it's doing the same thing.

PatriceOK 03-13-2013 09:25 PM

I am unable to get NavFree voice directions to work...I have enabled all sound settings that I can find, both in Navfree (tried re-downloading both US woman and man's voice, and even added a brit voice--none work) and in my Player 5.0 Settings/Sound.
Ideas?

MrVivona 03-13-2013 09:43 PM

Give the Mapfactor Navigator app a try. It works flawlessly on my SGP5 and I liked it better than NavFree. Just choose the free OSM maps when asked which you maps want to install and you have a lifetime free app. Or, for a really good, but cheap, paid offline GPS navigator app, try CoPilot. For $7 it gives you the same software and maps that is found on the in-dash units on a BMW. I use CoPilot as my main GPS app. I used to use Sygic, but it has stopped being compatible with the Galaxy Player and they say they do not plan to fix the compatibility.

PatriceOK 03-14-2013 02:26 AM

Thanks for those tips, MrV. How much better is CoPilot than MapFactor? $7 isn't bad, but just wondering. Both, I assume, have voiced directions?

So many people have recommended the NavFree, though, it would seem like I am the only one who can't get the directions sound to work...or is it that way on all 5.0s?

MrVivona 03-14-2013 09:41 AM

I evaluated NavFree and chose MapFactor as my free offline navi app because NavFree has limited POIs compard to MapFactor. Also, MapFactor has multi-stop routing, speed limit warnings, gives distances in feet (not yards) and has user speed settings for each type of road (improves ETA calculations). Both free apps only speak turn directions, not actual street names or freeway exit numbers.

CoPilot is a fairly big step up in quality. It speaks directions with street names and freeway exit numbers, and has multi-stop routing with optimization, a pretty good POI database, computes fuel cost of trip, a choice of two alternate routes, drag-able routes (drag route to change routing) and parking space marking (find your way back to your car). CoPilot also has good online help support and a good user forum. In fact, CoPilot is the same software and maps that is used by BMW in their in-dash navigation units.

By the way, NavFree directions sound did work fine when I was evaluating it on my SGP5.

marcel f 03-14-2013 06:09 PM

my 5.0 works fine with navfree in uk. I tested it against a tomtom unit, and the tomtom went crazy with directions. I have no problem with the voice system either.

marcel

FreeZ5 03-14-2013 06:55 PM

I downloaded CoPilot last night and added on the North American (Canada + USA) maps. It was FREE. I like that. It seemed to have a lot of POIs, especially compared to MapFactor Navigator (beta) which seems to have no POIs (at least in NorthAm).

I tried CoPilot out a bit today while driving from Pittsburgh to Buffalo (didn't really need it). I couldn't get any voice output. Played around with some settings while at a stop. Still no voice output. One other point, the tablet was being charged as it was very low this morning, but I think it was around 41% at the stop when I played with the settings.

So, any suggestions on how to get CoPilot to speak to me?

EDIT: It seems that you have to add on a paid feature to get 3-D Voice Guided Navigation. Cost for my tablet appears to be 10 Euros or about $13USD

Steve

PatriceOK 03-15-2013 10:23 PM

I am concerned that NavFree never spoke any turn directions on my Player 5.0--nada, zip, bupkas. Google Nav voice works without any fuss, but not NavFree....

MrVivona 03-18-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeZ5 (Post 633064)
I downloaded CoPilot last night... It seems that you have to add on a paid feature to get 3-D Voice Guided Navigation. Cost for my tablet appears to be 10 Euros or about $13USD

CoPilot comes in two flavors. The basic free CoPilot gives you a chance to try it out for free, but requires the in-app purchase for 3-D maps and voice navigation. CoPilot Live Premium is the paid version. It currently is $9.99 for the USA version. It comes with all the features, including 3-D maps and voice navigation, along with a free year of traffic service. I chose to buy CoPilot Live Premium instead of adding the paid 3-D maps and voice navigation to the free CoPilot. It was a better deal.

FreeZ5 03-18-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrVivona (Post 633235)
CoPilot comes in two flavors. The basic free CoPilot gives you a chance to try it out for free, but requires the in-app purchase for 3-D maps and voice navigation. CoPilot Live Premium is the paid version. It currently is $9.99 for the USA version. It comes with all the features, including 3-D maps and voice navigation, along with a free year of traffic service. I chose to buy CoPilot Live Premium instead of adding the paid 3-D maps and voice navigation to the free CoPilot. It was a better deal.

Thank you MrVivona. Unfortunately, CoPilot Live does not appear to come in a Canada and USA format.

Plus I just did a three week driving trip from Niagara Falls area to Florida and return. Other than time spent playing with GPS software, I believe that we used the GPS twice, so I don't really want to spend money on GPS software.

Steve

MrVivona 03-18-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeZ5 (Post 633240)
Thank you MrVivona. Unfortunately, CoPilot Live does not appear to come in a Canada and USA format.

The CoPilot Live Premium USA app has the option to add Canada maps as an in-app purchase for $4.97. Both the US and Canada maps are lifetime. To find the option in CoPilot Live Premium, go to "MyCopilot" then "Features & Upgrades".

I guess I am more of a GPS user than you. I use one on every trip, even if I know the route because I have a handy source of POIs to check for stops, like food or fuel, and if I come upon an accident or excessive traffic, the GPS can quickly route a detour for me.

When planning a long trip, I use Garmin BaseCamp to plan the daily routes, then download them to my Garmin GPSMAP 60Csx. I have found that if I output the same routes as GPX files, I can convert them to TRP files in RouteConverter and use those TRP files in CoPilot. The CoPilot app provides spoken guidance, whereas the Garmin GPSMAP 60Csx just beeps to indicate turns, so having the CoPilot on my SGP will be nice.