abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip Rockbox (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   Can't Uninstall Rockbox Sansa Clip Zip (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68967)

lindsayfunke 04-16-2012 09:24 PM

Can't Uninstall Rockbox Sansa Clip Zip

Well I tried Rockbox and decided it wasn't for me. I prefer Sansa's interface and it's just more streamlined and suited to my needs than Rockbox is. However, I'm having some big issues uninstalling it now. I did a manual uninstall after the auto uninstaller failed to work, but the bootloaded won't delete itself. I tried to update the firmware (or put the original firmware on, I found conflicting information on which I needed to do) but neither managed to override RB attempting to boot when I turn on the device. Also, the device won't update it's firmware either.

I would honestly just prefer the device to be restored to factory settings even if that meant doing the Clip Zip equivalent of a clean reinstall and losing the files I loaded onto it. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Also just for reference I am on a mac running OSX leopard, and this is a 4gb sansa clip zip. I also have a 16GB micro SD card, but I take it out when I'm attempting to do this firmware stuff like the Sandisk site reccomended.

WalkGood 04-16-2012 09:31 PM

Sounds like you only deleted the .rockbox folder, you have to connect in MSC mode and put a copy of the latest firmware file onto the root of the player, disconnect and allow a fw update. The fw you currently have on there is a patched firmware, so it needs to be replaced by a current version that isn't patched.

saratoga 04-16-2012 09:36 PM

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...#x4-220002.5.2

lindsayfunke 04-16-2012 09:38 PM

The problem is I've been trying to update the firmware and it's not happening. I've tried a few times in MSC and in autodetect and nada. I'll turn on the player in the original Sandisk boot, plug it in, attempt to add the .bin file, but when I unplug the device I never get the firmware dialog just the usual "updating media" or whatever it is. I'm not sure what else I can do.

WalkGood 04-16-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsayfunke (Post 607124)
The problem is I've been trying to update the firmware and it's not happening. I've tried a few times in MSC and in autodetect and nada. I'll turn on the player in the original Sandisk boot, plug it in, attempt to add the .bin file, but when I unplug the device I never get the firmware dialog just the usual "updating media" or whatever it is. I'm not sure what else I can do.

Are you sure that you are loading a fresh version of the fw? I've heard the same story before and later the person found out that he just kept loading a patched version. Download a fresh version and try again is what I would suggest.

Edit: get a current version from here.

lindsayfunke 04-16-2012 09:44 PM

Where would I get a completely fresh version? I have the version with .17 at the end, is that it? Also, should I be adding this while it's booted as Rockbox or as the standard Sansa boot?

WalkGood 04-16-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsayfunke (Post 607127)
Where would I get a completely fresh version? I have the version with .17 at the end, is that it? Also, should I be adding this while it's booted as Rockbox or as the standard Sansa boot?

click on the "here" in my last post, dl version .20 and try it. (look at the edit I did above)

lindsayfunke 04-16-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood (Post 607129)
click on the "here" in my last post, dl version .20 and try it. (look at the edit I did above)

OK well I tried to update to the newest firmware and it still won't work for me. I loaded it up in the original firmware because it won't always recognize the device in Rockbox mode, I added the .bin file, I ejected the decide, and although it "updated my media" it didn't update the firmware. I'm stumped.

WalkGood 04-16-2012 10:01 PM

1 are you sure it connected in msc mode?
2 did you load version .20 to the root of the player?
2 after disconnecting from pc did you turn it off and back on?

Aside from those three if you followed the directions correct, I don't know why it's not updating as I've done this a lot and never had a problem.

Edit

saratoga 04-16-2012 10:04 PM

Are you sure you have a clip zip?

lindsayfunke 04-16-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood (Post 607134)
1 are you sure it connected in msc mode?
2 did you load version .20 to the root of the player?
2 after disconnecting from pc did you turn it off and back on?

Aside from those three if you followed the directions correct, I don't know why it's not updating as I've done this a lot and never had a problem.

Edit

Well for reference, this is what I'm seeing. The first .bin is the firmware, i'm not sure what the 2nd is. Should I be unzipping the firmware for some reason? Should I be putting it somewhere? Should I be booting in Rockbox?

Also, I attempted to format the disk in hopes that it would fix the problem, but no dice.
http://i39.tinypic.com/33vjj1l.png

WalkGood 04-16-2012 10:13 PM

1 delete all the versions on you pc
2 download the .20 version from the link above
3 connect your player in msc mode only (not any other choice)
4 unzip the .20 version to the root of your player
5 disconnect your player
6 turn it off
7 turn it on and allow fw upgrade to proceed

lindsayfunke 04-16-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood (Post 607138)
1 delete all the versions on you pc
2 download the .20 version from the link above
3 connect your player in msc mode only (not any other choice)
4 unzip the .20 version to the root of your player
5 disconnect your player
6 turn it off
7 turn it on and allow fw upgrade to proceed

I don't know if it was moving the actual zipped file into the root menu before unzipping it, or if it was restarting my computer, or if I just got really lucky, but it appears to be back to normal. Thanks so much for the help. Any idea what I was messing up?

saratoga 04-16-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsayfunke (Post 607141)
I don't know if it was moving the actual zipped file into the root menu before unzipping it, or if it was restarting my computer, or if I just got really lucky, but it appears to be back to normal. Thanks so much for the help. Any idea what I was messing up?

In the picture you posted you hadn't copied anything to the player in days, except for the podcast folder. Perhaps you put the bin file in the podcast folder? That would explain why it wasn't there.

WalkGood 04-16-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsayfunke (Post 607141)

Probably moving the zipped file into the root menu before unzipping it but since I'm not there don't know for sure as I originally thought you just kept loading the patched fw, which wouldn't change anything since you already had patched fw on the clip. Good to hear you fixed your problem ...

Edit: good point saratoga, I didn't pay close attention to the dates he posted till you mentioned it.

lindsayfunke 04-16-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saratoga (Post 607142)
In the picture you posted you hadn't copied anything to the player in days, except for the podcast folder. Perhaps you put the bin file in the podcast folder? That would explain why it wasn't there.

Yes, this appears to have been the culprit! At least I somehow fixed the situation. I just checked and yes, indeed, there is a .bin file in the podcast folder, although this may possibly be one of the older ones I attempted to add at some point. Anyway, I am just happy this is behind me. Thanks for the help both of you.