abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Samsung Galaxy Player Series (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   ES File Explorer App: How to configure LAN? (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69527)

Blackdog 06-01-2012 08:18 PM

ES File Explorer App: How to configure LAN?

There's another thread here where poster mentioned this app and there's a lot of positive reviews. I've got it loaded but what I really want to do is gain access to my home PC over my LAN.

The app help and the online developers help is pretty lame...probably Chinese so there's very little text or instruction. Mainly screenshots which are not too helpful.

I see the setup dialog box to add new "server". It wants :
Domain (optional)
Server: IP address (Example: 192.168.1.100/My Documents)
Username:
Password:

and has a check box for "Anonymous"

So, Server, is this my internet IP? Or is this something specific to my LAN/router?

Username: Username for the router/LAN?
Password: Again, for the router/LAN?

Part of my problem here is that my ISP provides the router and controls all the parameters on their side. They gave me a password but I don't have any software of interface with the router except for calling their tech help.

Maybe there's some firewall setting that's preventing this from working too.

Any help from those that have set up ES Explore to access their LAN, would be most appreciated. Thanks.

skwatch 06-02-2012 12:15 AM

The "Server IP" it is looking for is the IP address of the PC you want to be able to access. This "Server IP" can include the name of a shared folder set up on the PC to which you want direct access. However, you may not have to actually type all this in(depending on your general setup). Try opening ES File Explorer. Then tap the LAN button. Then tap the Search button. ES File Explorer will scan for a few moments and then pop up the IP addresses of the machines it can see on your side of the router. You will need to set up at least one shared folder to be accessible.

Once you get it set up, all of this is pretty transparent. I use it to pass files back and forth from SGP and PC all the time.

I believe the username and password you asked about will be the same ones you use (if any) when you startup and log in to your home PC.

alljokingaside 06-02-2012 02:51 PM

This was very annoying to set up (in addition to setting up the home network for the first time), but I encountered the same problem and resolved it in 2 main steps with a few sub-steps (using Windows 7; I think Windows Vista should be similar):

1. Go to "Change Advanced Sharing Settings" in "Network and Sharing Center". Toggle on "Network Discovery" and "File and Printer Sharing". Turn off "Password Protected Sharing". Assuming you're in Homegroup, modify the option under "homegroup".

2. Right-click on the file you want to share (assuming it's more than just the Public Folders). Click on "Properties", then on the "Sharing" tab. From here, I believe you click on the "Share" button and add "Guest" (I also added Homegroup, but I don't think that this had any bearing on the SGP).

In the SGP, in ES File Explorer, under LAN, once you locate the computer (via scan is easiest [that capacitive button on the bottom left, click "add", click "scan"), double click on the IP address (your computer's) and, I believe, you leave the user name blank or add the user name you use to log on to Windows (even if you don't add a password).

(Since I haven't set up a password for my User Name in Windows 7, my assumptions could be wrong, but I believe that you have to switch "Password Protected Sharing" off. Otherwise, you'll need to create a user name for whatever device is accessing your computer. But then, I did just learn how to set this thing up myself (network sharing), so I could be wayyy off base here. If anyone else knows how to enable password without having to create a new User, please post. I did so initially with no success.)

If it's a Linux system, then you just have to right click on the folder icon and modify "share options" to allow access, after having (presumably) installed and configured Samba (user name, password)

If this doesn't work, let me know. There's a bunch of steps that I did and don't remember atm

Blackdog 06-04-2012 01:41 PM

Thanks
I did get it to work. Took about 4 hours and a lot of searching around various forums. There are so many little points that can trip you up. for one, I had to have a password on my windows machine...so I set up another user and gave that new user a password, there are SBM or BMC (or something like that) setting deep in windows that need to be configured. There's the Sharing parameter of files...Firewall ON, Firewall OFF...opening up certain ports? I don't know if it was worth four hours of my life but now it's pretty good. Video does not stream very well. Audio is fine.
Zero help on dev site or onboard the app. Strange for a developer to put so much time into developing something like this and then provide zero help or documentation.

Anyway, I'm good now. Thanks again.

skwatch 06-04-2012 05:21 PM

Sorry you had such a frustrating experience. My ES Explorer setup was done a long time ago, but it was much easier than you describe. I know that I didn't have to set up an account with a password on My PC. I glanced at the DEVs site for helps and it is indeed pretty worthless. The app itself is quite nice though and not always so hard to get setup. It may be somewhat dependent on PC OS and configuration. I am still running XP on the main system I interface with but also access shared folders on a Vista system on my LAN from time to time.

ForkliftFred 06-05-2012 07:39 AM

I think it helps if you already have your computer set up on a network. The only configuration I had to do on my computer was to tell my firewall to allow communication to and from the SGP's IP (I got the IP from within my router's interface) After I searched for new servers on the App and up popped my computer, tapped it and there were the folders that had already been set to be shared. As I say, the LAN and sharing was set up on the computer some time ago so I don't know what might have been needed from scratch. I'm still on XP too.

alljokingaside 06-05-2012 07:48 AM

Glad to hear things worked out well. I've never messed with the network while on XP, so it's a mystery to me.

For future reference and whatever, my heuristic troubleshooting also led me to discover, for Win7 users, that "Network Path" has to be listed as "shared" (not exactly sure where it points to)under properties for that folder.

Addendum:
2a) Right click, "Properties", and double-check. If no path is set, to enable sharing, click on "Advanced Sharing" and click on "Share this folder." Write a "Share Name" (your choice) in the option box. The general share options should hold (what I described before) but if not, click on "Permissions." It should have the permissions set to Read for "Everyone" under "Group or user names" on default. On another forum, I've posted a question regarding this, but didn't get a satisfactory answer yet....
What I did was click on "Add", click on "Advanced", click "Find Now" and select "Guest." (I think names without a comment under "In Folder" will allow non-local users [not physically on your computer doing things] access, though to varying degrees depending on which name you select. Apply and Ok.

This "simple" task was like going down the rabbit hole....dum, dum, da-da-dum.. dum- dum, dum, da-da-dum

And to enable a password, from my findings, you need a separated User Name and pw set up, as per Blackdog.

PS I should note that I haven't set up a password for the main and only user on my laptop- for obvious reasons- and want to keep it that way. Plus, I'm the only one on my wifi and I don't have too much sensitive info on my hard drive, so, again, I'm not too concerned. Also, since I'm in a foreign country right now whose level of English isn't up to par- again- little concern.

alljokingaside 06-05-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForkliftFred (Post 613046)
I think it helps if you already have your computer set up on a network. The only configuration I had to do on my computer was to tell my firewall to allow communication to and from the SGP's IP (I got the IP from within my router's interface) After I searched for new servers on the App and up popped my computer, tapped it and there were the folders that had already been set to be shared. As I say, the LAN and sharing was set up on the computer some time ago so I don't know what might have been needed from scratch. I'm still on XP too.

Having a network set up presumes that you've allowed for sharing. Blackdog's scenario (as well as mine) runs on the assumption that shared folders, etc haven't been enabled. Networking sucks. At least, the dirty work for

Blackdog 06-05-2012 08:33 AM

I'm not a programmer or a geek really, but I spend every day working with complex files on computers and I'm not exactly a dummy.
It was pretty complicated since I have never messed with network much, sharing, ports, security, SMB or whatever the heck it is. Fail after fail after fail.
The boards are full of people having numerous issues setting this up...so I'm not the only one. Just so weird that the dev would create this whole thing and and never bother translating the first bit of instructions. Obviously they are foreign and maybe they found the whole process of trying to translate complex instructions for multiple platforms just too complex and so reverted to use of 5-second screenshots and called it quits.

But I'm happy now that it's running.
Are you guys getting file movement from device back to the PC with this?
Thanks
blackdog

ForkliftFred 06-05-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alljokingaside (Post 613050)
Having a network set up presumes that you've allowed for sharing. Blackdog's scenario (as well as mine) runs on the assumption that shared folders, etc haven't been enabled. Networking sucks. At least, the dirty work for

That was exactly my point. The App is easy enough to set up if you already have Windows set up, which is probably what the developer overlooked.

barryem 06-05-2012 01:29 PM

I think a problem with ES Explorer is that it uses icons that aren't very intuitive. I don't use it all that much and each time I do I have to remember what each icon does and usually that means tapping a few till I find the right one.

Yes it's a very powerful program that works well and I'm really glad I have it, but they could sure make it more intuitive.

Barry

Goucham 06-05-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForkliftFred (Post 613055)
That was exactly my point. The App is easy enough to set up if you already have Windows set up, which is probably what the developer overlooked.

Unfortunate but it doesn't really have anything to do with ES File Explorer. SMB networks started out with Windows but pretty much every networking appliance that deals with file sharing can speak the language. Every file sharing scenario is different, even within the Windows universe.

Microsoft has been trying to make it easier for years on the consumer side but I still don't think they've gotten it right. In Windows XP it was simple file sharing and in Windows 7 it was homegroups. That would be bad enough but then you also have software firewalls that can make the whole thing a nightmare to troubleshoot. They overstep in the name of trying to protect you from yourself. (I'm looking at you Norton Antivirus!)

...all of this to say, don't be too hard on the developer if they haven't put together a guide you can follow. ;)

skwatch 06-05-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackdog (Post 613054)
Are you guys getting file movement from device back to the PC with this?
Thanks
blackdog

Definitely, Just "copy" any local file or group of files from the ES Explorer screen, then go to the LAN tab and find the shared folder you want to use and "paste".

skwatch 06-11-2012 09:10 AM

Happened upon this web page that gives a pretty good guide on the original question of this thread, much better than the developer's site. It also goes over swiFTP which is no longer supported, but still available as an .APK. Haven't tried swiFTP yet, but it looks like it could be useful too.

alljokingaside 06-11-2012 09:39 PM

swiFTP is a great little program, both simple and intuitive. When you d/l, you'll be prompted to enter
-user name
-password
(the rest can be ignored. if you want, you can specify port number among other things.)
-You'll have to scroll to the bottom to save (for some reason, this did NOT compute in my brainbox and I was just staring at the damn thing for something like a minute, all perplexed and whatnot)

-Click start and note the ftp below the start button.

XSnPX 12-10-2012 05:15 AM

Hi to all

Afetr a few days of reading different forums and being very unsuccesful, i apologise hi-jacking this thread but the problem is similar to the one posted here.

I have a HTC One X, using ES File explorer. I have a main PC with win XP pro, HTCP running XBMC OpenELEC, and a lap top wireless running win 7.

All my shares on my win 7 are accessible in my main PC, HTCP, even my PS3 - th eonly device that i cannot access my laptop shares with is my phone with ES FIle explorer connected. I also tried swiFTP without success, and File Manager HD.

I manually tried to connect to xxx.xxx.x.xx or with the share folders does not work.
I tried all the methods i found online and here and I still get all the messages from login failure.

i removed pw to come onto my home screen, cheked services, my folder shares have the correct permissions, tried "guest" and "everyone" - turned off firewall and that still did not happen...

I am thinking - do i need to port forward my HTC on my router?

I have completely run out of my knowledge of what i can do next...

can anyone assist how to enable my phone and win 7 to talk to each other please?

Many thx in advance.

Ben

bdb 12-12-2012 09:36 AM

When I first set this up on my new Galaxy 4.2, I kept getting a login error - not just in ES, but in anything. At some point the player locked up (for other reasons). After that I was able to access shares. Maybe try to reboot the player.

alljokingaside 12-16-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XSnPX (Post 628184)
Hi to all
All my shares on my win 7 are accessible in my main PC, HTCP, even my PS3 - th eonly device that i cannot access my laptop shares with is my phone with ES FIle explorer connected. I also tried swiFTP without success, and File Manager HD.

Umm, long shot BUT
if your laptop's the server, then try AndFTP, which I believe is FTP client software. SwiFTP makes your device a FTP server.

Goucham 12-17-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XSnPX (Post 628184)
I manually tried to connect to xxx.xxx.x.xx or with the share folders does not work.
I tried all the methods i found online and here and I still get all the messages from login failure.

Complete shot in the dark but are you sure your phone is connecting to the right WiFi network? It sounds silly but, for example, if your router has guest WiFi and your phone is using that instead of the WiFi network that all the other devices are on, that could happen.

There is an app in the Google Play store called Fing Network Tools that can be used to scan the current network you are on. Once a scan is complete, it will bring up all network devices. Additionally, it can also be used to scan network available services of the discovered devices.

1776 12-18-2012 06:42 PM

Reading this thread, I have to wonder if those having problems connecting ES File Explorer to LAN have any wifi Lan network set up at all. With an established wifi lan all that was necessary for me to connect to it was turn on Wifi on my SGP5.0, start ES File Explorer, click on Lan in ESFE, and then click on scan. All of the network addresses come up on the screen and you click in the one that will take you to the PC, laptop, or device that is currently on the network. Then all the shared folders will be shown. If you have no established and working wifi network there is no point to trying to connect to anything by wifi LAN.