abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Windows Phones (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   No Soup WP8 For You (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69747)

winrez 06-21-2012 12:56 AM

No Soup WP8 For You

Every phone on the market currently will only be able to upgrade to 7.8 which means we will get the OS facelift start screen of WP8 (maybe other features too) but none of the under the hood changes like the new kernel (so no backwards compatibility) there will be forward compatibility though so if a developer writes code for WP 7.8 it will work on Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 and Xbox 360.

It kind of makes sense as why would we need dual core support or hi resolution graphics when our phones don't support it. Lets just hope that developers want to take advantage of the full market since Microsoft said they didn't want us to feel left behind, but part of me is still thinking about my Zune HD (even though we did get 60+ apps thanks to Dave and the Dev's on this board) I would have still like to see live tiles on it considering they dropped the ram requirements to 256 and benchmark wise the CPU/GPU even blows the Ipad 2 away yet

Marvin the Martian 06-21-2012 01:54 AM

If I had just bought a Lumia 900 for WP7, and heard about this, I would be pissed.....

Jeven 06-21-2012 05:08 AM

idk, my Lumia 710 will make a nice paperweight :)

If someone is a fan of Windows Phones anyway, it's not going to make a great deal of difference, the 610, 710, 800 and 900 will still work - it's just that they will be constrained by hardware and not be able to run WP8.

I'd be annoyed if my only phone was a WP, but I have a SG2 - although 14 months old it runs ICS fine.

The DarkSide 06-21-2012 08:16 AM

I guess the wife will be getting my Lumia 900,...I'm getting another iPhone this fall. Even with the facelift I find this to be a letdown,...

Kizune 06-21-2012 10:12 AM

People have too much money... "Uuh, my Lumia sucks now, I'll buy an SG S3" ... "I have an SG S2 and an SG S3, next week I'll get an iPhone" ...

Sorry... but I read such statements everywhere. I have a Palm Pre from 2009 and I still use it. Heck, webOS has been discontinued last year! Does that make my smartphone any worse? No! And the Lumia 900/800/... also won't become worse when WP8 is released. As Jeven said: "the 610, 710, 800 and 900 will still work".

The DarkSide 06-21-2012 10:37 AM

But for music playback my phone has been/will remain "meh". I was hoping WP8 would solve that issue,...

Still, I can AFFORD to get an iPhone,...life goes on.

aimran 06-21-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The DarkSide (Post 614559)
But for music playback my phone has been/will remain "meh". I was hoping WP8 would solve that issue,...

Still, I can AFFORD to get an iPhone,...life goes on.

Remember no new features on the consumer end of the software was revealed yesterday with the exception of the start screen. Yesterday was more of a hardware features presentation. Joe Belfiore himself said there are bunch of new software features they can't show yet.

The DarkSide 06-21-2012 02:27 PM

Oh, I'll wait,...

kasrhp 06-24-2012 05:57 PM

I'm bouncing back to Android. The fact that Microsoft locked down the hardware specs the last couple of years, which pretty much forced this situation is really disappointing to me. Had they let OEMs open up the hardware to 2011-2012 specs, perhaps this disappointment of no real upgrade ability could have been mitigated with proper hardware releases the last couple of months.

Also, not having 7.8 phones be able to use WP8 apps seals the deal for me. My wife even notices the lack of necessary apps in her day to day use, though this was her first smartphone a couple months ago. What developer in their right mind would develop for the original version of windows phone with all of the perceived benefits of WP8?

Looks like Nokiagot their "beta tester" commercials backwards. Turns out it was the windows phone owners who got hosed.

winrez 07-04-2012 08:32 PM

All I will say is that if users stay with Windows 7.8/8, Xbox360 & Windows 8 they will have a very integrated experience.

Basically its coming down to what ecosystem you choose but to get a complete experience you will eventually have to choose one Apple,Google,Microsoft,Open Source or miss matched where you won't get all of the features each offer the plus side for Microsoft is it's easy to get your information,Contacts, Mail & documents in a open format. If we like if or not its about learning as much about us as possible and directing ads on the phone,tablet/PC and TV the reason I am not a fan of open source government's can exploit if or add code from anywhere. But on a good note someone said Windows everywhere