abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Samsung Galaxy Player Series (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   Samsung Galaxy Player 5.8 (YP-GP1) (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70014)

lebellium 07-17-2012 05:22 AM

Samsung Galaxy Player 5.8 (YP-GP1)
 
1 Attachment(s)
I just spotted it on bluetooth.org :D

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/att...1&d=1342516951

Will probably be released in 4 months or something like that. That's the usual delay between the referencing on bluetooth.org and the official announcement/release.

So that will be the friendly name of the YP-GP1 do you think?
Galaxy Player 3.8? 4.4? :D

It's hard to find any logic in their references:
IF:
YP-G1 = 4"
YP-GS1= 3.6"
YP-GI1= 4.2"
YP-G70= 5"

THEN:
YP-GP1= ???
-_-

The only info so far is that this model will introduce the version 4.0 of bluetooth in the Galaxy Players range.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Bluetooth_v4.0

zacp2 07-17-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lebellium (Post 616665)
I just spotted it on bluetooth.org :D

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/att...1&d=1342516951

Will probably be released in 4 months or something like that. That's the usual delay between the referencing on bluetooth.org and the official announcement/release.

So that will be the friendly name of the YP-GP1 do you think?
Galaxy Player 3.8? 4.4? :D

It's hard to find any logic in their references:
IF:
YP-G1 = 4"
YP-GS1= 3.6"
YP-GI1= 4.2"
YP-G70= 5"

THEN:
YP-GP1= ???
-_-

The only info so far is that this model will introduce the version 4.0 of bluetooth in the Galaxy Players range.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Bluetooth_v4.0

It will be 4.5'' or 4.3'' like the GSII I hope it is dual-core though and JB ready. :D

digiowl 07-18-2012 11:13 AM

http://sammyhub.com/2012/07/16/samsu...galaxy-player/

The resolution suggests something in the 4"-5" range, as their 3.6" has a 480x320 display.

And here i was ready to grab a 4.2...

lebellium 07-18-2012 01:30 PM

Good news that they finally updated the screen resolution. qHD on something like 4,5" will look good :)

But it's a shame it still has this old GPU.

lebellium 07-25-2012 12:18 PM

https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/EPL_De...roductID=22667

Quote:

The Samsung YP-GP1 is Mobile Internet device with Bluetooth wireless technology. The device has integrated Bluetooth Version 4.0 technology. The bluetooth in this device supports A2DP, GAVDP, AVRCP, OPP, PAN, HID, HDP etc.
Quote:

Geographic Availability: Asia, Europe
Ahaha that would be funny if you don't get it in America guys, I guess Samsung really hate Americans :D

Blackdog 07-25-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lebellium (Post 617414)
https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/EPL_De...roductID=22667




Ahaha that would be funny if you don't get it in America guys, I guess Samsung really hate Americans :D

I believe Samsung always gets product to market first in Korea, EU and then US. Whatever they do, I hope it's a significant remake. I like my SGP 5.0 a lot but I'm getting tired of the lame releases of re-heated gingerbread. They're two generations of Android out-of-date!

blcistheking 08-22-2012 01:13 PM

according to the info posted in the galaxy 7.0 plus thread this thing might have a 5.8 inch screen with 960x540 resoluton and android 4.0?

What is wrong with samsung?

lollicup04 08-22-2012 06:15 PM

New SGP Specs and Imaged Leaked!!
 
1 Attachment(s)
New Samsung Galaxy Player Specs Leaked

Finally! I was starting to think that Samsung was going to give up on the Galaxy Player Line. Even though Samsung released the SGP 3.6 and 4.2 a few months back. They weren't really upgrades from the previous SGP 4.0 and 5.0 and instead were downgraded budget friendly mp3 players.
It looks like they will be taking design ques from the recently announced SGS3

Here are the Specs directly off the website
- Dual Core 1GHz CPU
- 5.8" qHD(540*960) TFT LCD
- 1 Gbyte DDR2 Memory
- Camera: Rear 3 MP
- Camera: Front VGA
- OS: Android 4.0 ICS
- UX Touchwiz + Motion UX
- Battery: 2500 mAh (I wonder if the battery will be removeable... unlike the SGP 5.0 :/)
- GPS
- T- DMB (what does this stand for?)
- Gyro Sensor
- Micro USB
- Front Stereo Speakers
- FM Radio
- Bluetooth 4.0
- Microsd Slot (support up to 32gb)
- Available in Black or White


Heres the link to the website
http://www.androidguys.com/2012/08/1...-be-announced/

So what are your thoughts on it? In terms of design and specs. Is it a upgrade from the previous SGPs? Is it better than the SGP 5.0 Plus (SGP 70 Plus)? How much do you think it will it cost? Do you think that it will cost $269? which was the original launch price of the SGP 5.0 before the price was dropped. Would you guys buy this if the price was price competitively? Whats the most you guys would pay for this device based on the given info? Would you guys buy a Nexus 7 instead if the price was the same or more?

I think the design is more ergonomic and looks better than the SGP 70 Plus. As for the specs the camera is downgraded. But the screen looks to be improved. The OS has been upgraded and has a better processor. I would consider this device to be a upgrade from the SGP 4.0 and 5.0. I would probably buy it if it was priced at around $200-$250

On a side note: The weird thing about this SGP is that the screen on this is bigger than the one on the SGN 2 which has a 5.5 inch display. That is if the rumored specs of the SGN 2 are correct. Which makes the new SGP essentially a SGN 2 without the phone.

The device is expected to be announced at IFA 2012 which takes place 8/31-9/5/12. The Samsung Unpacked Event on 8/29 is where the SGN 2 is going to be announced. So the SGP should be released around September if not before the holiday season. The SGP 4.0 and 5.0 were released in mid Oct. How do I know? I preordered the device on amazon

berklon 08-22-2012 06:20 PM

Great.

Now will this be available in Canada right away, or will I have to wait until these become obsolete and they decide to dump them in Canada a year or more later?

AugustusG 08-22-2012 09:15 PM

I'll probably hold out for an upgrade in the 4" category (definitely interested in cameras running a modern version of Android). If I get anything between that size and ipad-size, it'll probably be when E-Ink-color hybrid tablets become available.

lollicup04 08-26-2012 04:15 AM

Price Reduction Hints at Galaxy Player Line Refresh?
 
I don't check the main Samsung website everyday so I am not sure if the prices has been like this for awhile now. I just recently visited Samsung's website and on the galaxy player page the price of the 3.6, 4.2, and 5.0 models have been reduced. The price for the 3 models are also reduced on amazon and best buy's website.


However for the 4.0 model it is still the same on samsung's website. So what do you guys think. We have already seen the leaked specs and pic of the sgp with the 5.8 screen. But not the other models. Is the price reduction on their site hinting at a refresh for most of the galaxy players? :confused:

Thunderkiss 08-26-2012 09:18 AM

http://www.mobile-review.com/sadm_files/YP-GP11.jpgSamsung YP-GP1:

Samsung YP-GP1 is built on a 1-GHz dual-core processor and running the operating system Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich with an updated interface TouchWiz. Display in the media player is very large 5.8-inch (960h540 pixels).

Samsung YP-GP1 is equipped with 1 GB RAM, 3-megapixel camera on the back, front VGA camera, FM-radio, GPS-receiver, a gyroscope, a TV receiver T-DMB, wireless modules Bluetooth 4.0 and Wi-Fi, as well as slot microSD. The device will be available in black and white, the announcement may take place at the IFA 2012 in Berlin at the end of this month.

From SamMobile

lollicup04 08-26-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderkiss (Post 619759)
http://www.mobile-review.com/sadm_files/YP-GP11.jpgSamsung YP-GP1:

Samsung YP-GP1 is built on a 1-GHz dual-core processor and running the operating system Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich with an updated interface TouchWiz. Display in the media player is very large 5.8-inch (960h540 pixels).

Samsung YP-GP1 is equipped with 1 GB RAM, 3-megapixel camera on the back, front VGA camera, FM-radio, GPS-receiver, a gyroscope, a TV receiver T-DMB, wireless modules Bluetooth 4.0 and Wi-Fi, as well as slot microSD. The device will be available in black and white, the announcement may take place at the IFA 2012 in Berlin at the end of this month.

From SamMobile

I already posted this information in my previous post. Did you not see it? There is no point in repeating it.

Kromiend 08-26-2012 10:58 PM

What I'd like to see is a player with more than 8 gig, or perhaps one with two micro SD card slots, but thats probably asking too much.

berklon 08-27-2012 05:48 AM

A somewhat closer look:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/27/s...xy-player-5-8/

Goucham 08-28-2012 04:55 PM

It all looks good on paper but pricing will be key since Google threw everyone under the bus with the $200 price point on the Nexus 7. It isn't a direct comparison as the Nexus 7 has a few things missing but it IS the device all other 'mini' Android tablets are now judged against.

brosko 08-28-2012 06:57 PM

i think the 5.8" screen is too much and to me is a turn off to buying this device. i have the 5 and that is about as big as they should make the screen. it loses to much portability after that. also at 5.8 it is almost a must to have to use 2 hands to operate it. the nice thing about the 5 is that it is big enough to enjoyably and rather easily use the device but.... it can still be managed with one hand if need be, and is also still very portable(a nice happy median)

they should make a device with more memory available as someone said, also a better camera would be nice and a replaceable battery would also be nice. and a real beautiful super amoled screen like the gs3 would be great.

but as far as size i think the 5.8 is too much! anybody else agree?

lollicup04 08-28-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brosko (Post 619958)
i think the 5.8" screen is too much and to me is a turn off to buying this device. i have the 5 and that is about as big as they should make the screen. it loses to much portability after that. also at 5.8 it is almost a must to have to use 2 hands to operate it. the nice thing about the 5 is that it is big enough to enjoyably and rather easily use the device but.... it can still be managed with one hand if need be, and is also still very portable(a nice happy median)

they should make a device with more memory available as someone said, also a better camera would be nice and a replaceable battery would also be nice. and a real beautiful super amoled screen like the gs3 would be great.

but as far as size i think the 5.8 is too much! anybody else agree?

I don't see how you can judge if its portable or not just by looking at the specs and picture. I thought that the 5.0 and the Note was too big to be portable before but it turns out they weren't. So I have to physically hold it in my hand and mess with it before I can say anything about it

brosko 08-28-2012 08:50 PM

Ya very true screen size is not always 100% indicative of the overall physical size,but seeing as the note is what? 5.3" and already imo to big I dont see 5.8" being any better (ie more portable)

brosko 08-28-2012 08:52 PM

There is a limit you can only increase screen size so much before it affects overall portability. I think 5.8" is just a little to big.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.