abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Samsung Galaxy Player Series (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   Galaxy Player 4.2 battery discharging too quickly (graph attached) (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70435)

cwy 08-29-2012 11:15 AM

Galaxy Player 4.2 battery discharging too quickly (graph attached)

I got a Galaxy Player 4.2 less than a week ago and found that its battery seems to be discharging too quickly while idle. Below is the battery life graph in Settings, Above Device, Battery use. Does this look normal to you? My device has the latest firmware and only a few apps installed, and is unrooted. In 32 hours, the battery went from 100% to 30%, a drop of 2% per hour. During idle, I always have my Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS off, in addition to closing all apps in memory.

In contrast, my iPod Touch has barely lost any power during that time, still at 85%. As indicated by the blue lines at the bottom in the graph below, my Galaxy 4.2 has barely been used during that time. Can anyone tell me: is this normal? Is my battery defective? I bought this new from Newegg.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3...0829102307.png

Daniel644 08-29-2012 12:41 PM

I would say something is definitely WRONG, on my 4.0 (which is starting to have battery issues) I can go 4 or 5 DAYS and thats with playing like an hour and a half of music at max volume each day, check out this page http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68257 and scroll to where I quote a BIG post with tips on battery saving (post #14) it made a MASSIVE difference in standby usage.

barryem 08-29-2012 01:49 PM

I use my 4.2 off and on all day long and I generally charge it every day. A lot depends on what I do with it. I'm fond of tower defense games and those eat up the battery. If I'm not playing a game it'll usually go down to about 70% over the course of a day. If I am it might go down to 50% or 60%, depending on how much I play.

I'm not using the battery that came with it. I bought a replacement Anker battery from Amazon and it seems to get about 20% more life from a charge, although I haven't actually tried measuring it. The original battery with the same usage would go down to 35% or 40% playing games.

For what it's worth i have a 4.0 also and the 4.2 gets considerably more life from a charge. I used the 4.0 in about the same way before I got the 4.2. I also use an Anker battery for the 4.0.

I'm not sure Anker is anything special. I'm guessing but these are batteries that were used in older Samsung phones and my guess is that they had a lot of old stock on the shelves and decided to use them up in these players. I think the Anker might just be newer. But I don't really know that.

Barry

brosko 08-29-2012 05:35 PM

check to see what is running, process wise. like i said in android forums, samsung push service is a real juice sucker if selected in the settings in the samsung apps app. of course you would of had to have registered for samsung apps for that to be the problem.

cwy 08-30-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel644 (Post 620039)
I would say something is definitely WRONG, on my 4.0 (which is starting to have battery issues) I can go 4 or 5 DAYS and thats with playing like an hour and a half of music at max volume each day, check out this page http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68257 and scroll to where I quote a BIG post with tips on battery saving (post #14) it made a MASSIVE difference in standby usage.

I checked all the settings mentioned in the post you linked to, and I found out a lot of the settings had been on. But even after I turned them off as you suggested, I'm still losing power at a rate of about 2% per hour, as shown below. I fully charged it, then 2 hours later, 5% of power was gone. 10 hours later, 20% was gone. My iPad Touch lost only 2% that whole time. Some of the settings you mentioned on the Galaxy 4.0, like auto brightness and power saving mode, simply don't exist on my Galaxy 4.2. Could this be a battery issue?

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/8...0830101911.png

brosko 08-30-2012 09:57 AM

What is using the highest percentage of battery.

cwy 08-30-2012 10:14 AM

"Display" and "Idle" use the most power, as always.

brosko 08-30-2012 10:41 AM

So nothing out of ordinary using batt. You probally have defective battery/device

woer 08-30-2012 11:53 AM

Try CPU spy to see if something is keeping it from dropping to deep sleep

cwy 08-30-2012 02:37 PM

CPU Spy shows deep sleep seems to be working:

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/5...0830153349.png

Joe_Linux 08-30-2012 03:16 PM

Originally the battery performance of my 5.0 was rather poor, but after I reset it to the orignal factory settings, two system upgrades came in from Samsung and that improved the battery life greatly. Also only use the apps you actually need or want. I don't use any wiidgets, and the All Aboult Android show reported that fee apps suck a lot of juice as compared to the paid apps as the advertising sucks juice. Apps like Juice Defender use more juice than they save in my opinion. Also Kaspersky anti-virus was horrible in regards to sucking juice, so I un-installed that too. I suggest dowing a foactory reset and then being very frugal in regards to the apps you reinstall.

Marvin the Martian 08-30-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe_Linux (Post 620125)
the All Aboult Android show reported that fee apps suck a lot of juice as compared to the paid apps as the advertising sucks juice. .

I noticed a savings in battery life once I was rooted and was able to install AdAway, to block most of those ads.

cwy 08-30-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe_Linux (Post 620125)
Originally the battery performance of my 5.0 was rather poor, but after I reset it to the orignal factory settings, two system upgrades came in from Samsung and that improved the battery life greatly. Also only use the apps you actually need or want. I don't use any wiidgets, and the All Aboult Android show reported that fee apps suck a lot of juice as compared to the paid apps as the advertising sucks juice. Apps like Juice Defender use more juice than they save in my opinion. Also Kaspersky anti-virus was horrible in regards to sucking juice, so I un-installed that too. I suggest dowing a foactory reset and then being very frugal in regards to the apps you reinstall.

But my main problem is really when my device is IDLE, when no apps are running.

brosko 08-30-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwy (Post 620135)

you might have a bad battery or device then? maybe take it back and exchange it now before you get to far into it.

cwy 08-30-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brosko (Post 620137)
you might have a bad battery or device then?

But is it really "bad"? You replied to me on another forum that losing 2% power an hour isn't bad, but it's not normal either. So what is the norm exactly? 1.7%? 1.5? 1.2? If buying a new battery would only give a fraction of a percentage of improvement then I wouldn't bother. I just find it simply amazing that my iPod Touch can be left idle for days, but this thing is so much worse in that department. My Touch was at 75% power this morning, 12 hours ago. Now it's still at 72%. Nowadays choosing the right electronics always involves a few rounds of "pick your poison". Here we have an overpriced $300 iPod Touch that comes with iOS and all its nuisances, versus a much cheaper Galaxy Player that leaks juices like a new-born baby with no diaper.

brosko 08-30-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwy (Post 620139)
But is it really "bad"? You replied to me on another forum that losing 2% power an hour isn't bad, but it's not normal either. So what is the norm exactly? 1.7%? 1.5? 1.2? If buying a new battery would only give a fraction of a percentage of improvement then I wouldn't bother. I just find it simply amazing that my iPod Touch can be left idle for days, but this thing is so much worse in that department. My Touch was at 75% power this morning, 12 hours ago. Now it's still at 72%. Nowadays choosing the right electronics always involves a few rounds of "pick your poison". Here we have an overpriced $300 iPod Touch that comes with iOS and all its nuisances, versus a much cheaper Galaxy Player that leaks juices like a new-born baby with no diaper.

I dont know exactly what constitutes "bad". I do know however that I can have my 5.0 at lets say 90% at lets say 6am and at 6pm it might be at 85% at the very worst. As for the 4.0, I know that the batt doesnt last nearly as long as the 5 because my 4 year old son and also my wife have one. (they dont let them idle long enough to even find out) I would think that at worst the 4 should lose maybe 1% an hour. so I dont think 2% is so horrible but not exactly normal either. Can you return it to try another unit?

but I dont think

Joe_Linux 08-30-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwy (Post 620135)

Try a factory reset

Daniel644 08-30-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brosko (Post 620144)
I dont know exactly what constitutes "bad". I do know however that I can have my 5.0 at lets say 90% at lets say 6am and at 6pm it might be at 85% at the very worst. As for the 4.0, I know that the batt doesnt last nearly as long as the 5 because my 4 year old son and also my wife have one. (they dont let them idle long enough to even find out) I would think that at worst the 4 should lose maybe 1% an hour. so I dont think 2% is so horrible but not exactly normal either. Can you return it to try another unit?

but I dont think

Officially "bad" is when the battery lasts half of what it should.
On my 4.0 I would idle at 1% an hour before the tweaks I linked to, then after them I go between 6 and 10-12 hours per percent of idle depending on what ROM and what launcher (believe it or not) I'm running.

To OP: refer back to the tweaks and run through all your menus, the choices you couldn't find might be there just under a different header.

brosko 08-31-2012 05:37 AM

Wow that really good!

cwy 09-02-2012 05:33 PM

My problem seems to have disappeared, almost as mysteriously as it first appeared. Now the battery discharges VERY slowly. The graph below shows I lost only 25% after 50 hours, only half percent per hour. At first I thought that CPU Spy app had something to do with it, but I have since uninstalled it, and I'm still having very slow battery discharge. Curiously, the slow discharge started occurring RIGHT AFTER I've used CPU Spy. My Galaxy 4.2 is only a week old. Is it because I have a new battery? I've never seen such a drastic change of battery life before on a new battery.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-O...902-180356.png