abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Walkman E Series (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   PROBLEM: NWZ-e443 [formatting problem] (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71016)

rijn21 11-04-2012 01:12 AM

PROBLEM: NWZ-e443 [formatting problem]

Hi guys, i got this problem that i formatted my walkman e443 through windows formatting. now i can't even use it. Whenever i open it, the start screen with rotating 4 dots appear but then after a few seconds it just shutdown. Need help guys. i want to use my walkman again.:(

rijn21 11-04-2012 02:33 AM

anyone? guys? :'(

skip252 11-04-2012 07:06 AM

I've never formatted a Sony using Windows so I don't know the results. What method did you use? What file system did you pick? FAT32, NTFS? Is the player still recognized by Windows? Have you tried the reset button?

CDMP3PlayerFan 11-04-2012 10:33 AM

You should be able to get a copy of the instruction manual for your specific player from Sony website, so you can check to see the following applies to your player. I checked the instruction booklet for my player (an NWZ-E465) and it said to be sure not to format the player using Windows Explorer. It says that if you have, format the player again using the Format command. On my player you do the following: [Settings] > [Common Settings] > [Reset/Format] > [Format]. One thing to mention: when you format the player this way, all of the data on the player will be lost, including the preloaded software and user guide.

ripn3s 11-05-2012 03:07 PM

Ya....messed mine up too man.I don't have the "exact" player you have but heres what I did and maybe it"ll help.
1st-go into windows directory and make sure you have the Sony folder,2nd-hook up your walkman to computer,you should see the walkman in the directory,go ahead and click on the walkman to see all folders,if nothing is there....good,make sure you leave walkman hooked up.
3rd-go back to the Sony folder in directory,click the "+" sign in front of it,in there you'll see,Media Go folder,Playstation Network Downloader and some others,open Walkman Guide folder,the very next folder should be your exact player(mine was NWZ-E470)click that to open it,the very first folder under it should read Backup,open that up.Click right on that folder to highlight it.In there you should see a blue colored cube with a green arrow pointing downward.4th-click that then click open and it should start the install like it was going in for the first time.
Hope that works for you man,it did for me,giving it a shot.GOOD LUCK

rijn21 11-07-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip252 (Post 625752)
I've never formatted a Sony using Windows so I don't know the results. What method did you use? What file system did you pick? FAT32, NTFS? Is the player still recognized by Windows? Have you tried the reset button?

NTFS I think dude, but no my player isn't recognized by my OS. I tried the reset button many times.. ohh man what am i gonna do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan (Post 625759)
You should be able to get a copy of the instruction manual for your specific player from Sony website, so you can check to see the following applies to your player. I checked the instruction booklet for my player (an NWZ-E465) and it said to be sure not to format the player using Windows Explorer. It says that if you have, format the player again using the Format command. On my player you do the following: [Settings] > [Common Settings] > [Reset/Format] > [Format]. One thing to mention: when you format the player this way, all of the data on the player will be lost, including the preloaded software and user guide.

Well, the first problem is that i can't manage to open my walkman to the menu. That's why i can't acces the settings.. Thanks for the help though :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripn3s (Post 625860)
Ya....messed mine up too man.I don't have the "exact" player you have but heres what I did and maybe it"ll help.
1st-go into windows directory and make sure you have the Sony folder,2nd-hook up your walkman to computer,you should see the walkman in the directory,go ahead and click on the walkman to see all folders,if nothing is there....good,make sure you leave walkman hooked up.
3rd-go back to the Sony folder in directory,click the "+" sign in front of it,in there you'll see,Media Go folder,Playstation Network Downloader and some others,open Walkman Guide folder,the very next folder should be your exact player(mine was NWZ-E470)click that to open it,the very first folder under it should read Backup,open that up.Click right on that folder to highlight it.In there you should see a blue colored cube with a green arrow pointing downward.4th-click that then click open and it should start the install like it was going in for the first time.
Hope that works for you man,it did for me,giving it a shot.GOOD LUCK

dude Can't see the windows directory you were telling? well i hope this works.. damn sony!!

rijn21 11-07-2012 08:51 AM

well dude that's the problem, i don't have the Sony folder backup on my PC.. damn. >.< can i just get it from other players?

skip252 11-07-2012 11:59 AM

If the file system you chose was NTSF I *think* that over writes the firmware. The firmware is in a hidden partition a format to FAT32 doesn't touch. From what I remember formatting to NTSF writes to the entire disk and kills that hidden partition. Without a firmware to tell the hardware how to function there wouldn't be any way for the player to connect.

I'd sure like to be wrong about this so I'll keep looking to see if there's a way to get a NTFS system to connect. I'd encourage you to look into what Linux offers. There may be a way to connect and write a firmware image or restore from there. I haven't found a way to do that yet but it's all I can think might help.

ripn3s 11-07-2012 04:19 PM

Bummer,I thought you dumped all the stuff from your player and not your computer too.I call windows explorer the windows directory(apologies).

rijn21 11-08-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip252 (Post 625968)
If the file system you chose was NTSF I *think* that over writes the firmware. The firmware is in a hidden partition a format to FAT32 doesn't touch. From what I remember formatting to NTSF writes to the entire disk and kills that hidden partition. Without a firmware to tell the hardware how to function there wouldn't be any way for the player to connect.

I'd sure like to be wrong about this so I'll keep looking to see if there's a way to get a NTFS system to connect. I'd encourage you to look into what Linux offers. There may be a way to connect and write a firmware image or restore from there. I haven't found a way to do that yet but it's all I can think might help.

how i wish this would be okay soon. i'll try to access this hidden partition though. well i don't have any friends who has Linux platform, they say linux can access through hidden partitions. damn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripn3s (Post 625985)
Bummer,I thought you dumped all the stuff from your player and not your computer too.I call windows explorer the windows directory(apologies).

haha it's okay :D

skip252 11-08-2012 10:37 AM

I'm saying that I don't believe there's a hidden partition if you formatted to NTSF. Doing that would have written to every sector of the disk including where a FAT32 format wouldn't touch. That would wipe out the firmware that carries the USB drivers and leave the player unable to connect to the outside.

rijn21 11-09-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip252 (Post 626014)
I'm saying that I don't believe there's a hidden partition if you formatted to NTSF. Doing that would have written to every sector of the disk including where a FAT32 format wouldn't touch. That would wipe out the firmware that carries the USB drivers and leave the player unable to connect to the outside.

yes sir. that exactly what happened to my walkman. damn, i think there's no solution for this kind of problem. can't even put files to my walkman's memory. damn.

rijn21 12-14-2012 03:55 AM

is there anyone know how to solve my problem?

rijn21 12-15-2012 06:38 PM

^

rijn21 12-24-2012 05:23 AM

damn

FreeZ5 12-24-2012 09:01 AM

Has anybody tried asking Sony Support? This has to have happened enough that they have some kind of answer.

Steve

skip252 12-24-2012 10:15 AM

I couldn't hurt to get in touch with sony support but I doubt this happens very often. Sonys have both a reset and an internal format utility. Between those two there's not a reason I know to hook one up to a PC and format it in Windows I've come across.

Of 3 Sonys I've owned I only formatted one using the using the internal formatter. That was only after multiple tries of the reset button didn't help after it had been disconnected during a file transfer.

If this one has been formatted NTSF I doubt there's an answer a consumer would be able to use. If it won't boot or connect over USB there's not anything I can think that could be done by a consumer.

There may be some way to enter a service menu but that would a need a firmware in place to translate the keypresses. Sony never gives out service menu info even if that's possible.

rijn21 12-28-2012 06:42 AM

ugh -_- sony sucks for a short reason >.<

AlanHK 12-03-2013 10:55 PM

I know this is almost a year old, but if you still are stuck and haven't thrown it away, you could try upgrading the firmware.
If it can detect the Walkman at all it should recreate all the system files.

get it from http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/pro...43_44_45_FW_UP