abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Samsung Galaxy Player Series (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   Play galaxy music on home theater system (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71430)

sumithar 12-29-2012 07:30 AM

Play galaxy music on home theater system
 
a friend of mine has that other device made by the company named for a fruit and is able to play the music on his device via his home theater system using the A***e TV appliance.

As the proud and unabashed owner of a Galaxy player I'd like to know what my alternatives are. I have tried using an FM transmitter device attached to the earphone port in conjunction with the built-in FM tuner of my receiver- results are pretty poor to say the least.

Thanks!

kp-j3 12-29-2012 10:31 AM

I'm assuming a cable is unacceptable, and you want something wireless?

sumithar 12-29-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kp-j3 (Post 629159)
I'm assuming a cable is unacceptable, and you want something wireless?

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Yes, I'm looking for a wireless solution.

loutingle 12-30-2012 08:54 PM

Does your home system have Bluetooth?

musichound 12-31-2012 06:15 AM

On my Galaxy phone I see two apps called All Share and Double Twist that appear to accomplish what you're looking for. I am wondeing if they are compatable with the line of Galaxy players?

sumithar 12-31-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loutingle (Post 629215)
Does your home system have Bluetooth?

Sorry,no.

sumithar 12-31-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musichound (Post 629222)
On my Galaxy phone I see two apps called All Share and Double Twist that appear to accomplish what you're looking for. I am wondeing if they are compatable with the line of Galaxy players?

All Share is defined as follows
"AllShare™ Control lets you control Samsung TV, Samsung Washing Machines, Samsung Air Conditioners and PC easily when you have them connected to the same wireless router."
Mine is a Yamaha receiver that doesn't have w/l, so I don't think it will work

Doubletwist- Sync music (including iTunes playlists) to your phone from your Mac/PC over USB or AirSync over WiFi
Looks to be related to syncing to my phone, rather than playing what's on my phone.

Thanks.

Daniel644 12-31-2012 06:03 PM

if your surround sound doesn't have bluetooth or wifi then just how else do you think you could possibly stream wirelessly? short of adding a bluetooth reciever to your surround sound (something like this http://reviews.cnet.com/home-enterta...-34505053.html ) then your ONLY other option is the crappiest choice there is and that is to use an FM transmitter that plugs into your headphone jack on the player, but those are HORRIBLE. or just go wired (which is the cheapest and BEST way).

sumithar 01-01-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel644 (Post 629248)
if your surround sound doesn't have bluetooth or wifi then just how else do you think you could possibly stream wirelessly? short of adding a bluetooth reciever to your surround sound (something like this http://reviews.cnet.com/home-enterta...-34505053.html ) then your ONLY other option is the crappiest choice there is and that is to use an FM transmitter that plugs into your headphone jack on the player, but those are HORRIBLE. or just go wired (which is the cheapest and BEST way).

Hi thanks again and Happy New Year!

Well, that's why I brought up the ipod-appleTV comparison. The way I understood how that worked was that you connected the appleTV to the receiver via HDMI and the ipod communicated wirelessly with the apple TV (something called airplay is involved that uses Wi-Fi as I understand it).

So is there an equivalent box to the apple TV I could buy that connects to my receiver via HDMI (or even digital audio optical optical/coax since I'm interested only in sound) and my Galaxy player could communicate with?

I have the NetGear NeoTV box but that doesn't appear to have such a feature.
The device that you provided the link for is something along the lines of what I'm looking for, but would have been better with an optical/coax digital audio out.

So is BlueTooth the only communication option for me then? Isn't there a Wi-Fi option as well?

Daniel644 01-01-2013 12:59 PM

from what i've seen wifi is more of a "file sharing" type thing so you would need a "smart device" like the a**le TV that can view the files on the device (like accessing files on another computer on the network), where Bluetooth setups like the previous link will allow audio streaming where changing tracks and pausing and playing would be done from the music app on the player. you could try Doubletwist https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2lkUGxheWVyIl0. it list as a feature being able to stream music to an a**ple TV over wifi.

sumithar 01-02-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel644 (Post 629261)
from what i've seen wifi is more of a "file sharing" type thing so you would need a "smart device" like the a**le TV that can view the files on the device (like accessing files on another computer on the network), where Bluetooth setups like the previous link will allow audio streaming where changing tracks and pausing and playing would be done from the music app on the player. you could try Doubletwist https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2lkUGxheWVyIl0. it list as a feature being able to stream music to an a**ple TV over wifi.

I'm trying to find a hardware appliance that could connect to my receiver similar in functionality to A***e TV.

I found a device that kind of fits the bill but it's rather spendy.
http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/connect

Daniel644 01-02-2013 09:53 PM

unless your playing AAC or FLAC audio files your really don't NEED an optical output, remember MP3's are only 2 channel stereo files, so unless your stereo simply doesn't have rca audio inputs your really just overdoing it.

another thing to think about is bluetooth maxes out at a range of about 30 feet so you would need to be in the same room as the receiver to use it, there is however apps that let you stream content over wifi to an Xbox or a Roku or other DLNA compatible devices, the truth is bluetooth will be the easiest setup and you can use the music player on the SGP to change tracks, where on wifi the device your using will just be "browsing" the player like the player is a networked hard drive, so if you want to have true control from the player then combine Poweramp (or your music app of choice that supports bluetooth streaming) with this http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/pr...RF-BTR212.html (first result on a quick google I just did, gives you the optical output you want).

sumithar 01-04-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel644 (Post 629328)
unless your playing AAC or FLAC audio files your really don't NEED an optical output, remember MP3's are only 2 channel stereo files, so unless your stereo simply doesn't have rca audio inputs your really just overdoing it.

another thing to think about is bluetooth maxes out at a range of about 30 feet so you would need to be in the same room as the receiver to use it, there is however apps that let you stream content over wifi to an Xbox or a Roku or other DLNA compatible devices, the truth is bluetooth will be the easiest setup and you can use the music player on the SGP to change tracks, where on wifi the device your using will just be "browsing" the player like the player is a networked hard drive, so if you want to have true control from the player then combine Poweramp (or your music app of choice that supports bluetooth streaming) with this http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/pr...RF-BTR212.html (first result on a quick google I just did, gives you the optical output you want).

Great advice. Didn't realise optical was really not a necessity. I'll work with this.
Thank you!

Daniel644 01-04-2013 06:47 PM

don't get me wrong Optical does have its place, but that is in audio containing atleast 5 channels (specifically "uncompressed" audio like you find on Blu-rays), but MP3's are only 2 channel (left and right) stereo (like CD's).
Something else to think about is if you have the SGP 4.0 with the Wolfson chip that only applies to the headphone jack output so you won't have any sound improvements from voodoo sound when using Bluetooth, I strongly recommend hard wiring (headphone jack to RCA type cable) as it gives you the best audio quality.

kp-j3 01-04-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel644 (Post 629426)
I strongly recommend hard wiring (headphone jack to RCA type cable) as it gives you the best audio quality.

I'm with him on this. I'd avoid wireless in an audio chain unless it's necessary .

sumithar 01-07-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel644 (Post 629426)
don't get me wrong Optical does have its place, but that is in audio containing atleast 5 channels (specifically "uncompressed" audio like you find on Blu-rays), but MP3's are only 2 channel (left and right) stereo (like CD's).
Something else to think about is if you have the SGP 4.0 with the Wolfson chip that only applies to the headphone jack output so you won't have any sound improvements from voodoo sound when using Bluetooth, I strongly recommend hard wiring (headphone jack to RCA type cable) as it gives you the best audio quality.

Hi,
Not sure I fully understand. I don't know anything about Wolfson Chips or Voodoo sound (apart from what I just looked up online). But based on all the good information here, I don't see why that Belkin device won't suffice for my purposes.
Thanks!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.