abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip Rockbox (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   Clip Zip or Fuse: In your opinion which one is better ? (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71593)

maidenpriest 01-22-2013 06:42 PM

Clip Zip or Fuse: In your opinion which one is better ?

In your opinion which one is better ? :)

skip252 01-22-2013 06:54 PM

Define "better".

FreeZ5 01-22-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maidenpriest (Post 630602)
In your opinion which one is better ? :)

IMO, the Clip Zip is better than the original Sansa Fuze. [Not sure what a Fuse is, except in my electrical system. :D]

Steve

Tapeworm 01-23-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeZ5 (Post 630609)
IMO, the Clip Zip is better than the original Sansa Fuze.

With the Zip's quirky firmware and abominable screen display, I have a different opinion and think the original Fuze is preferrable. Yes, it is slightly larger in physical size and doesn't have a clip or way of attaching it to your clothing, but there are many cases on the market (or at least there used to be) that will make up for that.

Battery life/play time is much longer with the larger battery inside the Fuze, and the screen size is of a size and clarity that you can watch videos and/or movies on it if you want to.

The only fault I personally can find with the Fuze is that the headphone plugs into the bottom of the unit, but others may not be bothered by this. Some don't care for the scroll wheel as pocket lint and schmutz can work it's way inside and potentially cause problems, but with knowledge of it and common sense care this can be kept to a minimum.

Others also prefer the dedicated rocker volume switch on the side of the Clips over the scroll wheel on the Fuze. Having started with the e200 series, I actually prefer the scroll wheel, but everyone has different tastes and preferences.

FreeZ5 01-23-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapeworm (Post 630643)
With the Zip's quirky firmware and abominable screen display, I have a different opinion and think the original Fuze is preferrable. Others also prefer the dedicated rocker volume switch on the side of the Clips over the scroll wheel on the Fuze. Having started with the e200 series, I actually prefer the scroll wheel, but everyone has different tastes and preferences.

You're right I prefer the dedicated volume rocker.

But I don't find the Zip's original firmware to be quirky. If you do, try Rockbox. Yes the version that came with my Zip didn't do playlists, but that has been fixed.

Also, the screen display of the Clip doesn't bother me. Sure it would be nice if it was better, but I don't look at it very much.

Is it my imagination? But the original Fuze seems to be getting more good comments and people wanting to buy than it did when it was a current item.

Steve

Marvin the Martian 01-23-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapeworm (Post 630643)

Others also prefer the dedicated rocker volume switch on the side of the Clips over the scroll wheel on the Fuze. Having started with the e200 series, I actually prefer the scroll wheel, but everyone has different tastes and preferences.

I just recently got an e280...interesting getting used to it, as the wheel and buttons are different than the old Fuze. And yeah, I miss the volume rocker....so I usually plug it into another device, be it boombox, stereo, etc.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeZ5 (Post 630644)

But I don't find the Zip's original firmware to be quirky.

I vastly prefer the volume rocker. All my headphones are powered well enough by all of my players, but I use the iPods with line-out and external amp so I don't have to use the wheel for volume.(and sure, occasionally the amp's bass boost is useful)

Quote:

Also, the screen display of the Clip doesn't bother me. Sure it would be nice if it was better, but I don't look at it very much.

Same here. There are some Rockbox themes that make it a more useful, but I don't generally look at it, I listen to it...lol
Quote:

Is it my imagination? But the original Fuze seems to be getting more good comments and people wanting to buy than it did when it was a current item.

Steve

No, it's not just you....I see it in other forums too.

epithetless 01-23-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian (Post 630645)
Quote:

No, it's not just you....I see it in other forums too.

I guess that's what happens when the successor is a catastrophic turd. :D

Marvin the Martian 01-23-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless (Post 630651)
I guess that's what happens when the successor is a catastrophic turd. :D

It never caught on because you never made a theme for it! lol

epithetless 01-23-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian (Post 630652)
It never caught on because you never made a theme for it! lol

Ha! That reminds me, though: I keep meaning to make a theme for the Zip...just never have the time. Life and all...

Marvin the Martian 01-23-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless (Post 630657)
Ha! That reminds me, though: I keep meaning to make a theme for the Zip...just never have the time. Life and all...

I did like your one for the Clip+....so I'd certainly be interested in one for the Zip.;)

Tapeworm 01-23-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Nothing wrong with that. Soem guys put their pants on right-leg first, and some do left-leg first. ;)

Quote:

Granted, if you're mainly concerned with the sound coming out and don't use the screen except for basic navigation, the Zip's screen is adequate. However, if you really like seeing the album art, the larger and clearer screen of the Fuze really excels. Plus, as I mentioned there are people who want a 'combo' player that will also play video. The Fuze is really good at this.

Getting back to the original question of which is 'better', I think it boils down to what one's needs, desires and/or expectations of the product is. The Fuze isn't necessarily better than the Zip, and the Zip isn't necessarily better than the Fuze. They are different models, each with their own uniqueness and strengths, or advantages. Choosing the one that fits your needs and wants the best is the "better" player for you. :D

skip252 01-23-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapeworm (Post 630661)
Getting back to the original question of which is 'better', I think it boils down to what one's needs, desires and/or expectations of the product is. The Fuze isn't necessarily better than the Zip, and the Zip isn't necessarily better than the Fuze. They are different models, each with their own uniqueness and strengths, or advantages. Choosing the one that fits your needs and wants the best is the "better" player for you.

That's what was meant when I said this
Quote:

Originally Posted by skip252 (Post 630604)
Define "better".

I just used fewer words.:D

The Clip Zip, original Fuze and Clip+ are essentially the same basic hardware dressed up different ways. Which one is "better" is what's better for an individual, not an absolute. Without the OP defining "better" all anyone else can do is say why they prefer one over the other.

BTW, it's the Clip+;) The rest are just wannabes:p

Carson Dyle 01-23-2013 06:15 PM

I have both a Fuze v2 (scroll wheel) and a Clip Zip. The Zip is great for the gym because of its size, it doesn't have to be carried in a pocket, but otherwise it's just too damned small. The small screen is harder to read, and it's more difficult to hold in one hand and push buttons at the same time. The dedicated volume rocker switch on the Zip is nice for the gym, where you might be running a treadmill, but other than that I prefer the Fuze by a large margin.

FreeZ5 01-23-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carson Dyle (Post 630669)
The small screen is harder to read, and it's more difficult to hold in one hand and push buttons at the same time.

Interesting comment. I have large hands (Large size gloves fit tight, XL much better), and I don't have problems with the buttons. Admittedly the Clip+ has larger up and down buttons (and I sorta prefer them) due to it's smaller screen.

Steve