android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 03-07-2007, 07:13 PM

Exclamation Zen Vision:M Not Responding SOLUTION! to No Charge, Device Not Connected or Recognize

Bought one - was ready to return it today - but, found the solution that many are looking for!

This is long - but it's descriptive of what you may have experienced (like me) and how to resolve your issues relating to:
*Device Not Connected, *Device Not Recognized, *No Power, *Black Screen, *Won't Turn On, "Wont Power Up", "Won't Charge", "USB doesnt appear to be charging"..."WINDOWS PORTABLE DEVICES", "OTHER DEVICES" etc.

My orig. email to Customer Support:
Just bought, charged 6 hours as advised using the USB (only way to charge it). First, the battery image is not always visible even though the blue light flashes; 2nd indicator only shows a very small charge (even though it's been plugged into a non-hibernating computer for 6 hrs). Have tried powering up without and with the cable attached. Have tried resetting numerous times. Once, I was able to see a pre-loaded song come up but then it went away. I'm a software OLH dev. by profession and usually good w/ gadgets but this has me ready to return it tomorrow if I don't get some help on what needs to be performed to make it work.

What is the exact sequence for 'normal' operation?
I've seen varying steps throughout this site and other help sites; none seem to work.
Example: 1]Charge 6 hrs, 2]unplug cable? (then) push power on button? or....2]Attempt powering on while still plugged in?
*what should be the result when you slide the power on? (I'm seeing black screen).

*Can't push the reset button with sharp object while large USB piece is in place (however, one set of instructions said: plug in USB then, while plugged in - push the reset (impossible).

One thing I notice (while UNplugged from usb) when I slide the power button and hold it, the blue indicator light flashes 5 times then stops. Upon release, no response.

*After attempting reset; no response on screen or with indicator light. Tried quick and also push/hold for 5 seconds release; nothing.

*Tried sliding power button again after non-responsive reset and again; nothing other than the indicator light flashes as I'm attempting power on slide.

Bought Daughter a video iPod, husband a Sansa, now trying Zen for me but no luck.

Please help; don't want to return it - but don't have another 48 hours to blow on trouble-shooting. Plan to return tomorrow after work if no luck.

Update: (got email back, but was not enough to resolve).
Finally realized I had 90 days of free support so I phoned just before packing it up. Phone customer support 1-405-742-6622.....VERY HELPFUL!

Here's the process from my experience:
1. Insert cd - load software.
2. Once complete, plug in Zen device. Verify that it's being recognized.
....*This is key!....because if it's not being recognized, your device will have the blue blinking light (as if it's charging) but will never charge!
3. My problem: I opened MY COMPUTER and could see the Zen Explorer at the base - but when opened it said:
Device is not connected.
4. Went to Programs > Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager button and looked for what help desk called: "Portable Devices" or "Other"
( but mine only showed an option called "System Devices" -- which is not the one you want)
5. Looked in the USB area -- but nothing relating to ZEN showed up there either.
6. Tech advised to make sure the laptop was plugged into wall power and that the device was plugged into the laptop (not a hub - or docking station port)....
7. Now, while we were talking -- all of a sudden I heard a beep such as what is heard when a flash drive gets plugged in.
My device mgr list was still open -- so, all of a sudden a big yellow question mark and "Other Devices" appeared with the
ZEN listed under it.

I told the tech that I'd had the device plugged in next to me all day as I worked and throughout the day -- on random occasion, I'd hear that beep sound as if I'd plugged in a flash memory stick -- but hadn't.....

Each time I heard the sound, I'd pause and watch for a bubble to pop up saying that it saw a new device - but nothing.

Also, each time, I'd look at the device for any change in activity -- but nothing.
Also, randomly throughout the day I'd see the device screen would light up & show "Creative" for just a second then disappear...with all the buttons on the front also lighting up as blue for just a second...then back to black.

8. Resolution! as soon as I saw the big yellow question mark light up within the DEVICE MGR "OTHER" area, I right
clicked on the ZEN > Properties > and clicked on the UPDATE DRIVERS button.

9. The wizard appeared - ready to look to my cd drive --- I put the ZEN install cd back into the drive and clicked NEXT on
the wizard to proceed. The driver was installed successfully.

My ? to him was WHY DIDNT THE DRIVERS INSTALL THE FIRST TIME I did the initial install? He sd: Win XP is supposed to have all the drivers and should always immediately recognize the device upon plug in -- but, depending upon which version of XP you have (with current updates) -- impacts whether you have that driver or not. In my case, I guess it was "not". So, by manually telling it to INSTALL DRIVER it went and manually grabbed a copy off of the cd.

Once I did that, the device was no longer listed in the OTHER area of DEVICE MANAGER...instead the mysterious item called:
"WINDOWS PORTABLE DEVICES" appeared at the bottom of the list with the (now gray iconed ZEN) (no longer yellow question mark).

10. Next, went to START > PROGRAMS > CREATIVE > CREATIVE MEDIA SOURCE - open it (took a few minutes to load) be patient.
once open, under SOURCES (top left window pane) I saw 3 things:
1) PC MUSIC LIBRARY
2) MUSIC STORE
3) MY COMPUTER

(but no ZEN)

11. Simply unplugged the USB cable from the laptop....counted to 5, plugged it back in...and within a few seconds the "CREATIVE ZEN VISION:M" became a "4th" option in that SOURCE list. (listed in the 2nd position alphabetically).

Now, I'm GOOD TO GO and the device screen is lit up and says: DOCKED with a big icon in the middle that you'll find in your user manual.
What a beautful sight. The LONG awaiting outcome.

The tech sd -- give it a bit to juice up and then, you can begin sending music over to it.

Other topics of conversation:

What's the difference in HD and FLASH devices?
HD - just like a PC (has a hard drive with moving parts that can be repaired, replaced, etc.)
-----is larger than the flash MP3s because of those moving parts.
-----must be more careful with it -- like you would with your PC or Laptop -- don't toss it around!
-----biggest advantage is you can store a massive amount of content (30GB, 80GB) whereas, flash MP3s are limited.
-----(if you have 30GB then, all 30 can be used just for music if you wish...or, you can use as much as you want in each of the areas: Photos, recordings, document storage, music, videos (up until you reach the max capacity). (it's NOT restricted to 10 music, 10 video 10 docs)
-----battery (can) be replaced. Based on my research, typical HD re-chargeable battery life is 1 to 1.5 yrs
of service; then, expect replacement.

-----First charge is the most important; I know you're dying to use it out of the box -- but it's in your batteries best interest (longevity) to get a full 6 hour charge before use.
I've had this one plugged in for about an hour and it already shows 50% green (50% complete)....(plugged in via USB).
....so, you might get away with less time....but all documentation says 6 hours to be safe.

My box did not include a wall charger - just USB -- which is fine with me -- I'm always with a computer in hand or near-by - -even if on travel -- in hotels, airports, etc. In today's world, I figure they expected that -- which is probably why the AC/DC charger is optional and separate in most cases.
If you don't travel with a laptop - get a charger.

FLASH MPS - such as iPod, Sansa and the like have a much smaller capacity and no hard drive. If it stops working -- you are done. The entire device must be replaced. Same with battery; can't replace batteries
in today's flash devices noted above.

POPULAR FIND ON THE WEB:
"I thought it must be charging if the blue indicator light is flashing within the on button well."
Nope, that's not the case. Apparently, the way it was designed, it's a combination of: connect via USB (plus) recognition of the device ='s charge capability.

So, in a nutshell:
Make sure you can see your device in device mgr (and) see it within the "CREATIVE MEDIA SOURCE" area to ensure
that you are getting that initial charge.

(the reason why mine was not, was because the driver that my laptop needed was on the disk and had to be manually brought over).

You know what they say about "assuming things"....
Creative should add the driver load to their initial load and have it skip that part if it sees that it's already on the consumer's computer. Instead, it sounds like they assume it's on all XP boxes and don't force the driver install.

This would probably save people a LOT OF HEADACHES and FRUSTRATION - because for me, it's the one tiny thing that kept me from operating --- and was within hours of returning the device to the store.
I'm glad I didnt now.
Funny, I read just this morning: "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge" Hos 4:6
Guess that goes with this too.... CREATIVE IS LOSING BUSINESS because CONSUMERS ARENT EQUIPPED with the (extra needed knowledge) to get the device recognized and operational!

Now that it's recognized, I agree with all the positive tech write-ups: it's a beautiful video screen and already has my daughter wanting to "trade me" for her large iPod video device. Guess that's (one) iPod user that's wanting to convert over to Zen!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Stickied! Good work, Chris!

v13tpr1d3707: That doesn't always work, particularly if your player is being comatose or if Windows has already seen it and assigned it a null driver.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:27 PM

GJ
This looks like it will be very useful for zen owners.
Hoping to resurrect an e260 from ebay soon.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:38 AM

Please help...

I'm attempting to troubleshoot a friend's ZVM/30 & I'm afraid I've hit a wall, so I've come back to ABi for some guidence...

Problem: My friend told me that she could no longer get her Zen to connect to Creative media explorer. I told her to check the USB port & if possible get a new cable. She got the new cable but no dice. By then the battery had drained down & she couldn't go any further on her own.

So, I have now taken over the task of figuring out what's going on with her ZVM. The first thing I did was give the battery a full charge with my wall charger, which it did in about three hours. One other note: being that I was able to charge up the battery, all of the existing content seems to play normally

Next, I plugged it into my computer (via dongle/USB) & I get nothing. I plugged in my ZVM/30 to verify the integrity of my computer, dongle & USB cable and as expected, It launched the media explorer & synced.

Next, I plugged the player in question back in and I now see that the power indicator is displaying the fully charged/plugged in status, but media explorer still doesn't see it.

I then followed the steps to go into recovery mode, performed clean up & then a soft reboot, but the same conditions still exist. If necessary, I'm prepared to do a format all, but before doing so I wanted to see if that would help.

I also just downloaded the latest firmware from Creative's site, but obviously, If I can't sync the player, I'm sure that I cannot update the firmware. (I'll just wait until I resolve this connectivity problem before I do the firmware thing)

BTW, the player is still within the 12 month period, so I can request an RMA & have Creative deal with the problem if it's beyond the scope of what I can do from home.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve J.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjulty View Post
Please help...

I'm attempting to troubleshoot a friend's ZVM/30 & I'm afraid I've hit a wall, so I've come back to ABi for some guidence...

Problem: My friend told me that she could no longer get her Zen to connect to Creative media explorer. I told her to check the USB port & if possible get a new cable. She got the new cable but no dice. By then the battery had drained down & she couldn't go any further on her own.

So, I have now taken over the task of figuring out what's going on with her ZVM. The first thing I did was give the battery a full charge with my wall charger, which it did in about three hours. One other note: being that I was able to charge up the battery, all of the existing content seems to play normally

Next, I plugged it into my computer (via dongle/USB) & I get nothing. I plugged in my ZVM/30 to verify the integrity of my computer, dongle & USB cable and as expected, It launched the media explorer & synced.

Next, I plugged the player in question back in and I now see that the power indicator is displaying the fully charged/plugged in status, but media explorer still doesn't see it.

I then followed the steps to go into recovery mode, performed clean up & then a soft reboot, but the same conditions still exist. If necessary, I'm prepared to do a format all, but before doing so I wanted to see if that would help.

I also just downloaded the latest firmware from Creative's site, but obviously, If I can't sync the player, I'm sure that I cannot update the firmware. (I'll just wait until I resolve this connectivity problem before I do the firmware thing)

BTW, the player is still within the 12 month period, so I can request an RMA & have Creative deal with the problem if it's beyond the scope of what I can do from home.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve J.
try different ports. try updating the player. update will try to find the player..you dont need any drivers. windows has to see it thats it. when you do an update it will not erase any data. format erases the data but not the firmware. bc the firmware is 2 part..1 bios like tihngy..and what you see is a os that runs off the hardware. so try updating the player. see what happens. you wont loose anything. also if the update is broken you can still update it with a program called creative recovery tool. its an anti-bricking software. i think.

try also installing that fixup and the play for sure update. i dunno if this helps. some people might know better.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:16 PM

Thank you. Worked for me.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Another solution . . .

Great posting Chris! FYI, I had the same problem but the light in the power well wouldn't even blink!! Thought I had a defective unit, but waited. Turns out that the battery was so drained that it didn't have enough to even respond. About an hour later, the Zen started to respond - first with the blinking blue light, then enough so that Windows XP recognized it and loaded the appropriate drivers.

So for those having problems, I'd say patience first. Let the unit charge a bit and it may come up. If not, then go with Chris' solution. Could be either or both problems!

ps: nice to be back to Creative (had one of the original Nomad Jukeboxes then went with a Gen 2 iPod until it recently gave up the ghost for good. The Zen is SO MUCH BETTER!).

Old 03-15-2007, 12:33 AM

Default More Problems:

I've been having this issue for a week now:

I've reinstalled the drivers 3 times and updated everything to cover my bases.

However, my ZVM is NOT being detected right by my computer. It always produces an "Error: USB Device Not Recognized - One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned..."

I've managed to hook it up and "DOCK" twice. The first time was an initial install and the second was this morning by a fluke, but I can't seem to reproduce the event.

do you think it's a software or user error or do I have a faulty unit?

Old 03-15-2007, 09:03 AM

Default In addition...

My screen never shows the Docking icon unless it can sync.
I wish there was a way to make sure that it always came up.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:37 PM

Hardwarejunkie - sounds like a problem with either the unit or your computer software. If the unit is still relatively new, try exchanging it. That would seem to be the easiest way to check things out. You could otherwise drive yourself insane trying to figure out where the issue is. If the exchanged unit responds similarly, I would say that you may have to upgrade your Windows.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwarejunkie9 View Post
I've been having this issue for a week now:

I've reinstalled the drivers 3 times and updated everything to cover my bases.

However, my ZVM is NOT being detected right by my computer. It always produces an "Error: USB Device Not Recognized - One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned..."

I've managed to hook it up and "DOCK" twice. The first time was an initial install and the second was this morning by a fluke, but I can't seem to reproduce the event.

do you think it's a software or user error or do I have a faulty unit?
Take a look at the link to the thread I posted.

I had a whole host of issues I was able to fix untill I got the usb device not recognized situation going. After nothing worked. I wiped the player and still usb device not recognized. At that point I am pretty sure the device was toast. There are others with this problem and it is really frustrating because people think you have one of the other fixable not recognized issues but this one is fatal.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:44 PM

Mine does the same thing, only when connected to my laptop. It does have XP SP2. I prefer it this way. I like being able to turn it off when it's charging, and I don't keep my music on my laptop. that being said, all I have to do to bring up the docking icon is go to My Computer. I would suggest installing creative explorer. I think it will take care of your problem.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:01 PM

Default I am going to puke.

Here is what my last zvm 6ogb did.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=8294

On my way to mail it back months ago my car got broken into and it got stolen so I never got it fixed.

So I went and bought another one and I now have the nothing recognized nothing happening only blue led problem. You have got to be f'ing joking.

I don't understand how the above "solution" is a solution. If the zvm never showed up in device manager under other or portable players or as a usb device where would you be? That's where I am. Not knocking your effort but the real miracle is your zen was recognized in some way when you plug it in. Mine isn't absolutely jack happens. Even if I force device manager to scan for new hardware.

Fully updated computer fully updated creative software same thing on 3 different computers and different usb cables.

I hate Ipods but but come the f on for $600 bucks I expect one working player. I can't decide whether to even try to fix it because if the player suddenly is not recognized again I will go insane!!!!!!!!!!! At least my old one was recognzed as "a device not recognized".

How the hell could my zenxtra be such a reliable tank and the ZVM's be so finicky?

Old 03-23-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Giving up can work!

So I had been screwing around for 2 hours trying to get my Zen to be recognized one last time before I sent it back with no result. I type my little rant above and leave the room to hang out with a friend.

We are drinking and talking and off in the distance I thought I heard something. "Shut the hell up!" I scream at my friend and during the awkard silence as my friend contemplates exactly when I became a bi-polar nutjob I here it again plain as day, "schwwup". The (use favorite expletive) windows bubble sound!!!

I raced into the room found it regonized as something under device manager and was able to get the driver off the cd installed and now player is recognized and works.

Somebody still sucks. Creative, Microsoft, who the hell knows but I am much happier now.

So I guess just leave your player hooked up for a really long time after you give up.

Maybe it quasi charges the battery after awhile to the point where it "tickles" windows back.

At least you don't need tech support to drink bottle of beer...yet

Old 03-24-2007, 01:56 PM

sometimes i have to reinsert the dongle about three times for it to be recognized, but usually it does on the first go. the only annoying problem is that a lot of the times i leave my nintendo wi-fi usb connector in the computer, and when i plug the zen in, it doesn't recognize the zen, it says "FOUND NEW HARDWARE: nintendo wi-fi usb connector," when it was already in there and recognized. so i cant have the nintendo wifi and the zen plugged in at the same time. stupid microsoft

Old 03-28-2007, 04:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

More often than not, a device that isn't being recognized is either too low on battery to be able to power up from the trickle current that your computer may provide to devices it cannot see, and just needs to charge for a really long time (unless you get an AC-to-DC wall adapter).

Hardwarejunkie9: Your problem sounds very much like a defective USB port on your computer or a bad cable. The fact that it came up twice, albeit momentarily, tells me that it's not a problem with the ZVM or the software.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Tried about everything at this point...

I think I'll just give them a call and tell them that I want them to take a look at my player. At this point I've updated everything, reinstalled several times, and I'm not interested in jumping through hoops to get the dang thing to work.

I have a couple spare cables lying around of the same type, if they dont' work, we'll see what I can do

Old 03-30-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Mission Accomplished!

OMG! It's amazing how simple the solutions are after you find them, isn't it? Yes, it was the USB cable and after replacing it everything's working fine. Thanks, like any good geek I should have known to ask the forums before ever going to tech support :P

Old 04-04-2007, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
More often than not, a device that isn't being recognized is either too low on battery to be able to power up from the trickle current that your computer may provide to devices it cannot see, and just needs to charge for a really long time (unless you get an AC-to-DC wall adapter).

Hardwarejunkie9: Your problem sounds very much like a defective USB port on your computer or a bad cable. The fact that it came up twice, albeit momentarily, tells me that it's not a problem with the ZVM or the software.
Hi ZenChick,

Newbie owner here, very glad to find this forum so quickly!

I am experiencing all of the problems highlighted above in this thread, but have the additional problem of being a win 2000 pro user. The disk which came with the player does not run under win 2000.

I've d'l'd a version of Creative media centre from the creative website (CMS5 PCAPP LB 5 10 38) which is supposed to support win 2000, but on trying to install it fails to recognise a device (Setup is unable to detect a supported device on your system) - even when the ZVM is going through one if it's "recognised by the system" phases - ie hardware detected icon appears.

Sorry if I'm missing a trick here but do you have any suggestions?

I have an ac/dc wall charger on order should be here in a day or two - but suspect even if fully charged I'm going to have a software compatability problem?

Many thanks for any help you may be able to give,

A

Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 AM

Hey my Zen vison m which ive had for about a year now was recently uninstalled off the computer on accident. i used the cd which came with the zen when i bought it and reinstalled the software. but when i plug in the player, it just turns on as if i was going to listen to it, and doesnt go to the docking screen. its not recognized in my computer or the zen explorer program. i tried reinstalling the driver with the control panel and then i select mtp device. when i do that it says the device was installed, but may not start (Code 10). So what the hell do i do. Please help me