android
Old 08-03-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Upgrading a zen v plus 4gb-16gb

I noticed a thread that explained how to upgrade a Zen Micro to 16gb. Does anyone know if it can be done with a Zen V Plus? The only problem I can think of is that I think the memory is built into the board...

Also, does anyone know if the battery can be upgraded too? I know it doesn't really need to be but if you could put a better one in, why not?

Does anybody know if there are any extras that can be put on the player? (such as games or other things, a stopwatch would be nice.)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-03-2007, 10:24 PM

um i dont think you can, unless you switch the 4gb chip with a 16gb chip by desoldering the old one off and resoldering the new one one,would that work? even if so, it would be hard to get ahold of those chips.
Black EP-630's
Creative iTrigue L3500 (fabulous sounding speakers)

Old 01-06-2008, 04:49 PM

I believe this can be done. The first thing you would have to do is disassemble your 4 gb player and look for the flash memory and google the printed information on the chip. What you want to do is try to find the company that makes the chips and see if they got more chips the same size but with greater gb capacity. once you find it buy. I got a 4 gb myself and i've been tempting to disassemble it and see if I can do it myself but as I've always been taught, if its not broke don't mess with it. So i'm sure I will wait till it breaks then disassemble it. If you got high resolutions pictures of the inners of the 4 gb I would diffidently love to see them.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:15 PM

It's really easy to disassemble by the way and i don't really see how there is a chance of breaking it, obviously i did before doing it, but now i have i realize how easy it is. This guide was quite useful,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVX_1oACvHc

Just skip past him talking to 1 minute in and that's where he starts taking it apart.

By the way the when you take the bit in front of the screen off, the bit that is attached by glue, don't worry about breaking it as it's easy to do, and don't worry about it then never being in place properly after as mine has never become lose, and i wouldn't use a knife to do it, use a small flat head screwdriver instead.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:20 PM

Did you notice the Samsung chip next to the joystick? I know Samsung is the world leader in nano technology for flash memory and Creative uses them for there flash memory. Do you think it's possible that is the 4 GB flash chip? I try to google the printed information on the ic and I got nothing so far. I was going to go futher with disassembling the unit, but I thought it would be best till I get to work where I can use the microscope to see the printed information on the ic chip more clearly. So far I got SAMSUNG K9WAG080TM-PCBO then below that was 0XCH24CA, there's more on the chip but I couldn't make it out that well, also in the video I seen the battery and I'm sure if you got the information off the battery you could find a replacement for it, it doesn't have to be Creative's battery it just has to have the same spec as Creative's battery.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:06 PM

The cost and complexity of executing something of this nature would be too cost prohibitive at this point, and in case of the ZEN V+, it's just not so outstanding a DAP unit as to go through the trouble.

By the time all is said and done, one would be better off just buying a either a Creative ZEN 16gb or a lesser capacity ZEN and an SDHC card.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:24 PM

i thought i read somewhere that the memory is flash and not on the chip.. is taht totally wrong?

Old 01-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amkaos View Post
i thought i read somewhere that the memory is flash and not on the chip.. is taht totally wrong?
I'm not sure what you're asking... Flash (NAND) memory is indeed chip-based (as opposed to any other memory-bearing media). I think the issue at the heart of this thread is the question of whether a lesser-capacity NAND chip can be replaced for a greater-capacity one, or if additional chips can be added.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
I'm not sure what you're asking... Flash (NAND) memory is indeed chip-based (as opposed to any other memory-bearing media). I think the issue at the heart of this thread is the question of whether a lesser-capacity NAND chip can be replaced for a greater-capacity one, or if additional chips can be added.
i thought the flash was replaceable w/sd, cf or such

Old 01-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I haven't taken a look at the V's innards, but I'm pretty sure the chips are directly mounted to the player's mainboard. Unless one is really good with SMT soldering, replacing one of these is going to be well above the average person's abilities.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:01 AM

There are some pictures of the hardware here:
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/CreativeZenV

Old 06-29-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativesansa333 View Post
There are some pictures of the hardware here:
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/CreativeZenV
Would you please stop bumping threads that are over 2 years old?

Old 06-29-2009, 02:12 PM

The V Plus can't be modded in the same way as the Micro, as it has flash memory and not a hard drive, so the compact flash memory wouldn't work. I've always wondered about swapping the chips for extra memory, but I'd probably brick it or melt something accidentally lol. Also it is extremely easy to disassemble, but the glue can take a while to get past