android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Insignia > Insignia Pilot

Old 10-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Insignia Moderator

Page The Official Insignia Pilot Feature Request List

Welcome to the Insignia Pilot Feature Request/Bug Report Thread

This thread was created by the community, as a central area where the Insignia MP3 Team can easily find what features we would like to see in the Pilot series, as well as future players from Insignia.

So here's how it works: you suggest a feature, and I'll put it in the "New Requests" category (Note: By suggesting a feature, you automatically vote "yes" for it). Once there, it may be voted on by other members. If it receives at least 1 more "yes" vote, it'll be moved to the "Low Priority" category. If it receives 3 more "yes" votes, it'll move to the "High Priority" category. If a feature receives 5 "no" votes, it may be placed in the "Recycle Bin", but only if the "no" votes outnumber the "yes" votes.

You may also submit bug reports. If a bug receives 2 "yes" votes, it'll be moved to high priority. Please be sure to include the version of firmware you are presently running when submitting a bug.

Please read before voting:
  • New feature suggestions should be encapsulated in asterisks. e.g. "**Feature I would like...**". Simply because it will make it easier for me to find.
  • When voting, please use this syntax: "Feature or bug name - Yes or No", and include the ID number if you can. The ID number makes it easier for me to find the feature you want to vote for.
  • Bug reports should be prefixed with: "BUG:" like so; "BUG: My player locks up when I..." .
  • If you know the ID number of the feature you're looking for, you can quickly find it by pressing Ctrl + F, and putting a dash (-), plus the feature ID (no spaces) in the box. e.g. "-63".

__________________________________________________ ____________
Stats
Total Votes Counted: 146
Total Features Requested: 43
(Non-Software Related: 0 Change Reqs.: 2)
Total Possible Bugs Found: 8
Features which might make it into next, or subsequent firmware release: 9
Bugs which might be fixed in next, or subsequent firmware release: 2
Last Updated: September
, 18th, 2008 at 12:20PM (GMT-7)
Latest firmware version: 1.006 Released: -----
Next firmware release date: Unknown
Features implemented so far: 0
Bugs fixed so far: 0

__________________________________________________ ____________

High Priority
ID

Remember playlist / currently playing media after sync/charge [10 votes]

2 Ability to display album art from folder.jpg / albumart.jpg images [7 votes]

26 FLAC audio support [6 votes]

9 Wallpaper [7 votes]

7 When returning to a bookmarked file, player should also play all files in the directory of the bookmarked file [5 votes]

1c <FCR> Add “Play/Add” sub-menu to Folder Browser [5 votes]
Pressing play on a folder should bring up a context menu like in media library. This would make it possible to organize your music in a deeply nested folder structure and play/add more than just one folder at a time.

15 Option to disable data communications while connected to PC [5 votes]
(Description: Add a "Do not connect" option to the connection type menu. This would allow you to use the player while charging via the USB port)

13 Multiple on-the-go playlists + playlist editor [9 votes]
(Description: Multiple on the go playlists, with the ability to save, name, and edit -- insert to, append to, move within, and remove from -- playlists)

1b BUG:{Major, Confirmed, Firmware: 1.006 } Player hangs while
trying to display certain .JPG images [3 votes]

2b BUG:{Major, Unconfirmed, Firmware: 1.006 } Pressing back multiple times causes player to skip forward in random mode [6 votes]
Description: While in random mode in the “Now Playing” screen, pressing the skip back button will go the beginning of the song, but each subsequent press skips forward through the playlist.

8 Ability to search the database for specific artists, albums or songs [5 votes]

Low Priority

8b BUG:{Minor, Confirmed, Firmware: 1.006 } Clock flickers during playback [1 votes]

7b
BUG:{Minor, Unconfirmed, Firmware: 1.006 } Embedded progressive JPG album artshows up as a black image if copied in MSC mode [1 votes]

6b BUG:{Minor, Unconfirmed, Firmware: 1.006 }Player forgets currently playing media upon SD card insertion/removal [1 votes]

5b BUG:{Minor, Unconfirmed, Firmware: 1.006 } Pressing the menu or 'up' button while playing audio causes a 'pop' sound [1 votes]

4b
BUG:{Major, Unconfirmed, Firmware: 1.006 } Player occasionally skips tracks prematurely or starts playing a track a few seconds already in [1 votes]

3b
BUG:{Minor, Unconfirmed, Firmware: 1.006 }Album art is not displayed for WMA lossless files [1 votes]

42 In-player Bluetooth volume control [2 votes]

4 Ability to copy files from external to internal memory and vice versa [2 votes]

3 Better Unicode support [3 votes]

6 Video/Photo Folders [2 votes]
(Description: Allow Videos and Photos to be organized by folders)

10 Ability to sort library by song rating [3 votes]

11 Option to force player to immediately respond to button presses while idling [3 votes]

12 Additional EQ profiles [2 votes]

16 Ability to edit filenames in the player [3 votes | -1 vote]

14 Player should check to see if ID3 tags have been modified since last DB refresh to prevent unnecessary time consuming DB refreshes [4 votes]

18 Display artist name next to song title in the “Now Playing” quick view list [4 votes]

19 Audio Crossfading [3 votes]

20 Gapless Offset [2 votes]
(Description: Because the silence between tracks vary greatly depending on how they were encoded, it is difficult to create a one-size-fits-all gapless setting. This feature would allow the user to adjust the duration of silence between tracks to something that best suites their music collection. This option would tell the player, in milliseconds how prematurely to skip tracks.
Options could be: -500ms -250ms -100ms Off (e.g., "-500ms" would tell the player to skip tracks 500ms before the current track has ended, reducing or eliminating any silence))

21 Automatically record radio in mono or stereo depending on mode selected in radio settings [3 votes]

LCD backlight should shut off if the player is connected to a computer for a certain period of time [3 votes]
(Description: The player should obey the backlight timeout setting while connected to a computer.)

24 FM Timer Recording [3 votes]
(Description: Allows users to schedule a time for the player to start recording the FM radio)

25 Alarm clock function [3 votes]

27 Audio fade option [2 votes]
(Description: Audio fades in and out when song is stopped/started, paused, or player is powered off/on, like the iAudio U3, or iriver clix)

28 Games [4 votes | -2 votes]

2c <FCR> Player should ignore the word "The" in song titles, album titles, and artist names when sorting alphabetically [2 votes | -1 votes]

31 Improve context menu button functionality [2 votes | -1 votes]
(Description:
  1. When playing music: "Scan" "Repeat" "Shuffle", "Set Bookmark", "Go to Bookmark".
  2. When viewing text: "Scroll" "Autoscroll" "Autoscroll Speed", "Go to page:".
  3. When viewing photos: "Slideshow", "Slideshow Speed:" "Repeat", "Set as Wallpaper".
  4. When viewing video: "Video Scan Mute" "Shuffle" "Repeat".
  5. When playing Audiobooks: "Set Bookmark", "Go to Bookmark".
32 Ability to record in MP3 [2 votes]

33 Ability to delete an entire folder [4 votes]

34 Player should remain in the same directory after syncing, SD card insertion/removal, and after deleting a file [4 votes]

35 Ability to play video at 640x480 via TV-out [2 votes]

2c <FCR> Reverse menu button operation [4 votes]
(PB: Pressing the "Menu" button briefly should take you to the previous screen, and holding it down should take you to the main menu. CB: Currently, it's just the opposite, which isn't what most users expect.)

37 Visualizations [3 votes]

38 AAC audio support [2 votes]

New Requests

41 Ability to tag files recorded from FM radio with RDS data [1 vote]

5 Ability to switch to filename view in photo browser [1 vote]

17 Allow full operation of the player while external memory is indexed (background indexing) [1 vote]

Option to enable audio feedback [1 votes]
(Description: The player would make an audible sound through the headphones such as a 'click' whenever an item is highlighted, a button is pressed, or a message window pops up.)

29 GAMES: Tetris [1 votes]

30 GAMES: Breakout [1 votes]

36 Replay Gain tag support for all music formats, especially OGG Vorbis [1 vote]

39 Ability to record audio directly to external memory [1 vote]

40 Ability to play WMA files from the Audible folder [1 vote]

Implemented/Fixed

None

Legend:

{Confirmed} = At least two people have experienced this bug.
{Unconfirmed} = Only one person has experienced this bug.
{Major} = This bug affects normal operation of the player.
{Minor} = This bug does not affect normal operation of the player.
{PIP} = Possibly Isolated Problem. This may be a hardware malfunction, specific to a single player.
{Firmware:} = Firmware version this bug is present in.

<FCR> = Feature Change Request. Requesting the modification of an existing feature/function.
CB = Current Behavior. How a feature/function behaves currently.
PB = Proposed Behavior. How a feature/function should behave.

Notice:
Feature preview images are merely representations of what I think a feature may look like. They are not meant to represent what a feature will actually look like if implemented.
All images, audio, and video are Copyright 2008 Tobey Phillips, unless noted otherwise.

f43b8c2-91708(41408)-173
(161-164)

Last edited by Tobey; 09-18-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Insignia Moderator

[Placeholder]

Old 10-03-2007, 11:27 AM

Default ** Remember playlist after sync/charge **

It would be great if the Pilot could remember the dynamic playlist and currently playing song after USB sync. I understand the files could change, but it relentlessly profiles the media any time something halfway major happens (including sync) and should be able to tell if nothing changed.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:30 AM

Default BUG: Locks up on some images

Haven't established a pattern, but while in MSC mode I uploaded folders with cover.jpg album art. These may have unexpected DPI or very large sizes, but the Pilot should not lock up. I have to hold the power switch over for 10 or 15 seconds so the player shuts off.

Edit: Should have noted this before... NS-4V24, firmware v1.006

Last edited by mattschuette; 10-12-2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: technical details

Old 10-03-2007, 11:32 AM

Default ** Album art with MSC **

Only way I've found to include album art is via MTP. It would be great if cover.jpg or folder.jpg or [album name].jpg could be used as cover art. Added bonus would be if these were ignored in the Pictures list, but if not, that's fine too.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:38 AM

Default BUG: Back goes forward

I consider this a bug.

CB: When you are in random mode on the now playing screen playing a song, pressing left or back will go the beginning of the song (this is correct). Press it again and you move FORWARD in the playlist.

PB: Retain going to beginning of current song, but subsequent press should play previous song.

Especially since the random playlist appears to be pre-built rather than dynamically choosing the next random song, this seems like a no brainer.

Edit: Should have noted this before... NS-4V24, firmware v1.006

Last edited by mattschuette; 10-12-2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: technical details

Old 10-09-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Voting Yes to Album Art in MSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattschuette View Post
Only way I've found to include album art is via MTP. It would be great if cover.jpg or folder.jpg or [album name].jpg could be used as cover art. Added bonus would be if these were ignored in the Pictures list, but if not, that's fine too.
Voting for this one

Old 10-09-2007, 05:37 PM

Lightbulb Album Art - MSC Capabilities Reversed Engineered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattschuette View Post
A simple method for embedding album art into ID tags, transferring the audio to the player and have the Album Art properly displayed, utilizing the MSC USB mode. No "Syncing" or MTP file transfer software is needed, just a FREE, relatively simple to use tagging program called Mp3tag. I am sure that there are other similar programs that will also work.

A. Software:

Mp3tag was used to embed the Album Art into the audio tracks. Once embedded, there is no need to leave the Album Art jpeg file in the audio folder, or for that matter to place it anywhere else on the player.

B. Method:

Use MSC (Files & Folders) USB mode. I simply drag/copy the audio folder to either the AUDIBLE or MUSIC folders from within Windows Explorer to the Pilot.

C. Album Art Parameters:

***Any JPeg picture image can be used, provided it meets these parameters:

1. File size MUST BE less than 64KB.

2. JPEG format only. (I have not tried any other format)

3. Image size can be anything up to 768x768 pixels. (This image size limit may be artificial, due to the fact that Mp3tag will not display larger images in the viewer window when embedding the Album Art into the audio tracks)

D. Other Considerations:

1. Mp3tag can automatically generate a playlist file which by default is mp3tag.m3u which if renamed to XXX..n.m3u and if left in the audio folder copied to the player will be recognized and can be accessed via the "Playlist" menu icon.

2. If you must resize the Album Art to meet the required parameters, its best to either not change the horizontal pixel width, or if you must, make it a multiple of 128 which in the native pixel width of the Album Art window displayed by the player. This will give better readability of the text in the album cover display window. When needed, I use Microsoft Photo Editor which is included in the XP OS, for all picture resizing.

3. I listen to audio books far more than music. As noted in the manual (for those among us who read such things) , if you place your audio folder in the AUDIBLE folder of the player, it will automatically generate and save a bookmark whenever you shutdown, or the player powers off on its own.

I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun with your Pilot; I've had mine for three days and like it better with each passing day.

Last edited by ggkrich; 10-09-2007 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Format

Old 10-31-2007, 05:57 PM

Mattschuette, can you send me a sample JPEG which locks the player up?

Old 11-01-2007, 04:02 PM

Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldel View Post
Mattschuette, can you send me a sample JPEG which locks the player up?
Attached is a password protected zip file (produced with 7-Zip, if there are any problems) for digitaldel. I PMed him the password. This is because they are copyrighted images.

All, I noticed that the only images that gave me trouble were 150dpi. At least one was edited with Photoshop CS, others with PS 7 and Paint.NET. They were probably saved with jpeg quality 12 in PS and 90 or 95 in Paint.NET. Interestingly, these images have valid thumbnails in the photo browser while other images do not. For all images other than these two (I had like 30 total), they display full screen without any problems. Given this, if anyone has time and can recreate the problem with non-copyrighted images, please let everyone know.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PilotPictures.zip (1.42 MB, 8 views)

Old 10-05-2007, 07:59 PM

I agree with bookmarks remembering the playlist and the current track position. This is especially important for multi-track audiobooks and live albums. Both Cowon and Rio implemented bookmarks in this way. This type of bookmark lets the listener switch back and forth easily between different audiobooks.

It could be implemented as a user option: one track or whole playlist.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:20 AM

Firmware version: shipping firmware when Pilot first launched (I'm not sure of the number, sorry)

BUG: With audio bookmarks on SD-card-based tracks of any type, the wrong song title -- one from main memory -- is shown in the Load Bookmarks list. Thankfully, if you play the bookmark, it goes straight to the right point in the right SD-card-based track.

**Playlist editing**:

PB: Playlist editing, particularly for "Now Playing" (have one of the buttons, preferably menu, bring up a pop-up menu with track delete and move commands)

**Default Music Library category setting**:

CB: Music Library always starts at Play All.
PB: Have a setting to customize which category occurs first when you go to Music Library from the main menu the first time; subsequently, have player remember where you were in Music Library after a selection is made, then return you to that same place.

My votes for features upthread:
Remember playlist after sync/charge - YES
Play/Add context menu in Folder Browser - YES
Bookmarks that remember a point in a playlist - YES
Back goes forward (in Random mode) - YES

Last edited by ThatTree; 10-07-2007 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added firmware version

Old 10-07-2007, 11:05 AM

Default ** Album art with MSC ** BIG YES VOTE ; Double BIG YES VOTE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoboSchvetBhals View Post
Album art MUST be recognized. I use ogg, and my software is unable to embed the covers in that format. Synching with ogg is difficult at best. I prefer simply copying my albu folders over, and those ALWAYS include a folder.jpg, or cover.jpg.

Simple album cover detection of common cover titles is a must, espescially for files where covers are not embedded or cannot be embedded.

Not to mention us who would prefer 1 simple image per folder insteaad of embedding the same image over and over.

It would be GREAT for that image to not be restricted to a exact size and dimensions, but rather loose, for example up to 800x800 and up to 100kb.

Another option if there is no embedded or specifically recognized cover name, to use any image in the folder if there is one.

Cover recognition priority.
1. Embedded
2. Recognized Cover Name.jpg
3. Last resort, any image that happens to be in the folder

Thanks!
***No (preferred EMBEDDED) album art support in MSC mode*** is a MAJOR issue with me. It lessons the visual enjoyment of an otherwise well thought-out, feature-packed product! I prefer using MSC mode because of its inherent simplicity in quickly loading media.

Last edited by ggkrich; 10-07-2007 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Opps! spelling error

Old 10-07-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Vote Yes for these

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTree View Post
Firmware version: shipping firmware when Pilot first launched (I'm not sure of the number, sorry)

BUG: With audio bookmarks on SD-card-based tracks of any type, the wrong song title -- one from main memory -- is shown in the Load Bookmarks list. Thankfully, if you play the bookmark, it goes straight to the right point in the right SD-card-based track.

**Playlist editing**:

PB: Playlist editing, particularly for "Now Playing" (have one of the buttons, preferably menu, bring up a pop-up menu with track delete and move commands)

**Default Music Library category setting**:

CB: Music Library always starts at Play All.
PB: Have a setting to customize which category occurs first when you go to Music Library from the main menu the first time; subsequently, have player remember where you were in Music Library after a selection is made, then return you to that same place.

My votes for features upthread:
Remember playlist after sync/charge - YES
Play/Add context menu in Folder Browser - YES
Bookmarks that remember a point in a playlist - YES
Back goes forward (in Random mode) - YES
Voting yes to those features

Old 10-07-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Suggestion: OTG Playlists

Being able to create playlists on the go would be swell

Old 10-07-2007, 02:20 PM

Default BUGS

Device: NS-8v24 Firmware ver. 1.006
Navigation
  • Pictures: Pressing the up key doesn't go back, like listed in documentation, instead it rotates the picture, which is what the down key is supposed to do. The down key doesn't do anything. Attached is a screen shot of the documentation were the proper usage is listed.

Usability
  • When in shuffle mode, pressing back plays a random song, not the song that you just skipped.
  • If you are listening to a song and you go and delete any file. The music automatically stops and starts from Song 1. The player does not shuffle the songs anymore. It just plays through the list of already shuffled songs. If you have shuffle off, then it still plays from that preshuffled list. That list is always the same, so it seems like it was the order the songs were recognized by the player. Please refer to the video for more detail.
  • When you are recording FM radio or Line in. To stop recording you have wait for seconds before it even accepts the command to stop recording.
Connecting to Computer
  • When you connect the player to the computer, the song that you last listened to gets lost and when you unplug it starts from a new song.
  • The player is not connecting in MTP mode. Is included software required to be installed before MTP works?

Tags
  • If you update the ID3 tags directly on the player, the player does not pickup the changes. You need to delete the file, then move the updated file, then the player picks up the changes.

Visual Bugs
  • The hold lock looks kinda cheap Refer to Picture
  • Sub menu refresh rate can be kinda of choppy Refer to Video
  • When the Player Dims, it dims in stages not gradually, not really a bug but doesn't look top notch. - Refer to Video

Old 10-07-2007, 04:31 PM

Default vote yes on mep's suggestion regarding bookmarks

I agree all files in a folder should automatically play in sequence. When one of the files is opened with a bookmark, other files in the folder should play in sequence.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:20 PM

Just going through the thread and wanted to add my support to some ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post
Context Menus
  • Pressing the Rating button would bring up a context menu, like pressing the play/pause button. This would allow to click on the folder and delete the folder or play the whole folder from the File Browsing menu. From there include the ability to do these tasks, while keeping all of the current ones:
    • Play Now Keeping Other Songs A lot of times I will navigate and find a song that I want to hear, but if I play it it will remove all my other songs in the now playing. If I add to now playing, then I have to navigate and find it. I just want to play that song now, then afterwards continue with the songs that were already in now playing.
    • Search Lets you search for a specific words on that page, or in sub folders. Searching for songs/artists/albums/genres in the Music Library
    • Volume Control Comes in useful
    • Changing the Play Mode Repeat/Shuffle etc.
I like this one, especially the last bulleted item there. As an addition, I'd like it if - even when in shuffle mode - I could pick a particular album I want to listen to and listen to it in order, not shuffled. Sometimes I feel like just listening to one album, and when I do I prefer it to play the tracks in order (some albums really need this to "flow" well). It's a bit annoying to have to go back to the settings page, change the play mode to normal, and then go back to the album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post
When in shuffle mode, pressing back plays a random song, not the song that you just skipped.
Yeah, please fix this. It's tolerable but annoying.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:35 PM

wandalynn,

With respect to the Sport, have you found the Settings-Time-Auto Power Off - with settings including Off - 30mins ? I am unsure of the difference between that and your Timed Idle Shutdown?

Thanks

Tobey, can we make sure we have two lists one for the Pilot and for the Sport.

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback, it is great to have such an involved user community.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:09 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldel View Post
wandalynn,

With respect to the Sport, have you found the Settings-Time-Auto Power Off - with settings including Off - 30mins ? I am unsure of the difference between that and your Timed Idle Shutdown?
Well... I've found it now!

Guess I was thinking TIME = CLOCK from Creative's menu. I was looking elswhere for this feature. TIme to read the users manual! BTW, it was hard to chose between the two players, Pilot or Sport - I was interested in the 4 GB Zen originally. I did read some of the Pilot manual on-line before I bought the Sport and found a feature that works on the Sport too - If you put longish mp3's in the 'Audible' folder the files are automatically bookmarked. This is great for long podcasts.

Thanks!