android
Old 07-24-2008, 09:57 AM

Default Cowon iAudio x5 & m4b Audiobook Files

Hi

Since the Headphone Jack of my Ipod (plz dont ban me because im an Ex Ipod User^^) broke 2 times in 2 Month, i decided to try out a new brand. Now i read really nice Reviews of Cowon iAudiox5 and im very curious about it, but i need to clear some stuff befor i buy one:
(Sry, for my bad English, its not my nativ language)

+) Is it ok to buy a Cowon x5 or are there better(Or equal and cheaper) products of the same brand out now? (Or even an other Brand)

+) I mostly listen to Podcasts and Audiobooks an i got really used to the Features an Ipod offers (Like selfmade m4b Files with Chapter-& Bookmarks) Is it possible to use those files with an Cowon (*.m4b) and if it is, is the Bookmark Feature equal to the ipod and can i use the Chapter Marks those files feature?)

+) How strong is the Earphonejack? :P Since i made really bad experiences with the ipod, i hope it will last longer And how robust is the overall Buildquality in comperison to the price. greetz Nudel

Last edited by nudelsieb; 07-26-2008 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Formating doesnt work :P

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-26-2008, 03:41 AM

I don't know know the strength of the earphone jack relative to other players but I have managed to break mine by having it in a pocket together with other stuff so that there were tension on the plug. I lost audio on one ear but since I am handy with the soldering iron I opened it up and resolder the connectors. It is not recommended to do it yourself unless you are experienced in this area.

I managed to break it once more and had to resolder once more (maybe I did a bad job the first time) and I also stopped carrying my player where I put stress on the plug, generally a good idea I would say.

When it comes to the player I think it is quite ok. The battery time on my unit is too short, doesn't last more than a couple of hours. If I turn it off after an hour it will not boot up since it seems to consume a lot of battery during boot. My unit is wierd in that sense.

I am considering to get me some other MP3 player and use the X5 as a ultra portable hard disk. A very nice feature is the USB host thing where I can connect my old Canon IXUS 400 digital camera and transfer files from it, very good for traveling.

/ Roger

Old 07-26-2008, 03:57 AM

Thanks for your advice My only problem left now is the fact, that i'm looking for an MP3 Player wich is recommended for Audiobooks (should have the same features or even more then the ipod Series) Especialy the support of m4b files would be nice (With Chapter- & Bookmarking) Is there an device out there with this features or do i have to buy an Ipod again greetz Nudelsieb

Old 07-26-2008, 06:41 AM

If the M4B files are not DRMed, Rockbox should certainly play them on the X5.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:19 PM

A standard audiobook in non-DRM Windows Media File or MP3 work great on my X5. Audible however is not so wonderful about their golden DRM audio books. The only way to get them to work is to bust the DRM using a host of cracking software. Better to get the mp3 file from the publisher and put it on the X5. Bookmarking is a snap with the X5 so you can return to the same point in the file you were at when you stopped. Also if you pause the X5 it will be at the same place when you return if you are going to start the audio book when you turn the X5 back on.
Audible really needs to make a DRM mp3 file like Rhapsody uses so we can use their files without having to crack them open and extract the meaty book from the crappy shell of an aa file.