android
Old 12-12-2009, 08:39 PM

Unhappy Help! NWZ-E344 has no folders!

Help! I'm so confused and I'm completely a noob when it comes to electronics. I just bought the NWZ-E344 today and when I installed it, I thought everything went fine. But then I tried to transfer a file using its software. It said that my Walkman mp3 player wasn't connected. I was so confused so I checked the "My Computer", "Walkman", then I noticed it was completely blank! There are no folders, where "Media", "Music" folders etc used to be.

Does anyone know how I can get my folders back in or how to get it back to the way it was before I installed it?

I tried contacting Sony for help but it was no use.

Thanks,

Amie

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-13-2009, 12:03 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Go to settings, common settings, format. That removes everything on there and the player should recreate the folder structure. Though it might not work as you don't actually need the folders there to transfer files (nor do you need the dumb-ass Sony software to do so).

Old 12-13-2009, 09:21 AM

I agree with Andreas.

You will lose whatever you had on there. You absolutely do not need the Sony software, I have an e345 and you can drag and drop, or better yet use Windows Media Player 11 or any other management software. When you sync with WMP it will show the album art with each song it plays. When I drag and drop I can navigate to the album art, but it doesn't show automatically, which I much prefer.

Don't forget when things don't work, first try restarting you computer, and restarting the player. Unfortunately, it takes 4 hrs. to truly shut off the player after hitting the off button, so you may have to wait that long to reboot it.

I haven't tried it, but with some players it works fine to just right click and choose new folder and name it.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Just say no to WMP 11!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:09 AM

Default Works now but what file types can I transfer to this player?

Thanks so much everyone!! It works now. I have no idea what happened. I restarted and restarted both computer and mp3 player but nothing worked. Gave both a break and restarted them this morning and now it works and the folders reappeared. It's odd but I'm so glad it's working now.

One last question: I don't know which files will work. I have some .mp4 (I used to have an iPod) and .avi files. I tried the .mp4 but it doesn't work on this mp3 player.

For songs and videos, what type of files can this Sony mp3 player take?

Thanks again,

Amie

Old 12-14-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amie View Post
One last question: I don't know which files will work. I have some .mp4 (I used to have an iPod) and .avi files. I tried the .mp4 but it doesn't work on this mp3 player.

For songs and videos, what type of files can this Sony mp3 player take?
@Amie: I had typed up a reply saying that all Walkman's play the following formats:

Audio:
- MP3's
- AAC (non DRM)
- PCM (Wav)
- WMA

Video:
- MP4 (h264/AAC - AVC profile), 320x240 max resolution
- MP4 (MPEG4/AAC - Simple profile), 320x240 max resolution
- WMV (ASF), 320x240 max resolution

But then I looked in the E340 user manual and in the video section it only lists WMV files as being playable. I hope that is not the case. If so, it seems that Sony removed the playback ability of MP4's in the E340 series. Double check your MP4's and see that they are 320x240 resolution (or less). If they are encoded with the h264 or MPEG4 CODEC then they should work. I can email you a small 10-second video clip to try out if you want (that works in my Walkman).

Matt

Old 12-13-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Just say no to WMP 11!
Well, that sums up my usual feelings, but I have to admit it worked, just very hard to control. Wants to sync every thing on my computer!

I'd never used it before getting this e 345. Perhaps I'll learn more about it. First thing I did learn is that it wants to phone home every time you use it and put itself on the automatic start up list, which I prevent.

Tags
blank, empty, folders, install problems, nwz-e344