android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 03-12-2010, 11:40 AM

Default General Consensus on Windows 7 and Media Explorer

Can moderators or people with experience give a decisive general answer about the Vision:M and Media Explorer running with Windows 7 64?

I've done a brief look of this forum for it but I would sure like to see a definitive thread for this. Perhaps make it sticky.

I have a new Win7/64 PC and don't want to mess up my Vision M or my computer if there are known issues.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-13-2010, 01:01 PM

I have computers with both XP and win 7. You can drag and drop music, pictures, etc as long as they don't exceed the zen's capabilities. However, I haven't figured out managing the zen's playlists yet. I have creative's software on my xp machine to manage my playlists. Bottom line: Playlist issues on windows 7 or creative's lack of support for ZV:M because it has been discontinued for two years now.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaware74b View Post
I have computers with both XP and win 7. You can drag and drop music, pictures, etc as long as they don't exceed the zen's capabilities. However, I haven't figured out managing the zen's playlists yet. I have creative's software on my xp machine to manage my playlists. Bottom line: Playlist issues on windows 7 or creative's lack of support for ZV:M because it has been discontinued for two years now.
Thanks delaware...

Just to clarify, is your Win 7 64 or 32 bit?

Old 03-27-2010, 09:16 PM
ABI Invaluable

I have no experience with Media Explorer and Windows 7, as I have ditched both Media Explorer and Windows quite a while ago.

(Okay - Yes, I do have a Windows 7 partition on my system, but I rarely use it).

However, I do have experience with Media Explorer and Windows Vista, and the experience is not favorable. Basically, you are better off working with Win7's built-in MTP capabilities and using WMP12 to sync your player. Media Explorer does not offer any advantage over WMP12, and is just an extra opportunity for a software conflict or something else to go wrong.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:46 PM

dmvprof - My Windows 7 is Home Premium 64-bit on an Acer Aspire 1410 netbook. My XP machine is a self-built Asus A8N-SLI based/AMD Athlon 64 2600.
zenchick - I don't use win 7's WMP12 to sync my zen, just drag and drop through windows explorer. If I want to manage playlists, etc I use the Creative software that came with my ZV:M

Old 10-28-2010, 01:18 AM

Talking I figured it out

I finally got Zen Vision M Media Explorer working in Windows 7 64-bit. Color me happy.

Previously, I could get Win7 to identify the ZVM, but I couldn't get Media Explorer installed, so no playlist management.

Finally, I figured it out. Here's how to do it:
First, download Creative Media Explorer 6.21.10 Software Pack for ZEN Vision:M (30GB and 60GB) from here . Make sure you get the 64 bit version for Vista (a Win7 version is not available, and I'm guessing it never will be). Here's a direct download link.

The first few times I tried it, I couldn't run the setup file without getting an odd permissions error, even after playing with the compatibility settings. So what I did was use 7-zip to extract the setup file to another folder. To install, go into the folder you extracted the files into, then into the Setup folder, and run setup.exe (you might want to right-click and Run As Administrator just in case; I can't remember if that was necessary). Presto, this should install Media Explorer, and now you can run that to manage playlists.

I hope this helps.

PS. My computer is running in Test Mode, and I'm not sure if that had anything to do with this working. I kinda doubt it, but if the above doesn't work, you can enable Test Mode with this tool from NGO.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:02 PM

Talking

loosenut - you're a genius. By extracting the x64 vista version to its own directory Creative Media Explorer 6.21.10 (CME) does work with win 7 x64 version.

A few tips:
Have your player docked BEFORE installing the CME.
Be sure you have administrative rights.
Right-click the setup.exe and 'run as administrator'.
You do not need to be in safe mode to install the CME.

I'm in the midst of reloading all music, videos, and playlists from my newest computer.

Mods, this should be stickied!!!

Old 11-01-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaware74b View Post
loosenut - you're a genius.
Subgenius, actually.

Thanks for the feedback, glad it worked!

Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 PM

I'm so glad I found this thread. My motherboard recently died and I decided to install Windows 7 while I was at it. I long ago lost the disc and I had plenty of trouble tracking down the install file for XP, so I was dreading getting it working for Windows 7, especially when I found Creative's site didn't have any downloads for W7. I did everything loosenut suggested and it worked perfectly. Thank you so much!

Old 11-04-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortyBoo View Post
I did everything loosenut suggested and it worked perfectly. Thank you so much!
You're welcome! I'm glad it worked for you, and I appreciate the feedback!

Old 01-17-2011, 04:43 PM

Loosenut,

Awesome! Thanks heaps for posting this! I upgraded to Windows 7 a lil while ago, but I don't use my ZVM much these days as I'm a Cowon S9 kinda guy now. But recently I needed to reload all my music to the ZVM and even though Windows 7 didn't require extra drivers to transfer files to my ZVM, the album artwork didn't come through with the music files. Sad.

I installed Creative Media Explorer from the CD ROM, which didn't close off / complete installation properly, and still had the same woes...

I'll be trying out your method with this Vista installer tonight.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:52 PM

Default Playlists and Win 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
Subgenius, actually.

Thanks for the feedback, glad it worked!
Nope! Definitely Genius!
I havent tried it yet but i am sure it works. I have been having to copy all my audio files via my win 7 computer then hook up the ZVM to my XP machine to create the playlists.
Now thanks to your "Creative" genius I dont have to do that.

Thanks for your perserverance and posting the results.

I agree, this should be a sticky thread. There have been a lot of posts regarding this question and I am certain that it will help a lot of people.

Good JOB!

Old 04-16-2011, 10:22 PM

Well, I just got around to trying it and it didnt work. I have Win7 ultimate.
I ran the setup.exe and the install shield came up. But I soon received the error "this program does not support this OS".
I am wondering if my version of win7 is the issue?
I am not really bummed or anything. Now I am just pist that I cant figure it out.
Oh well, I will keep trying.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiobooks4Me View Post
Well, I just got around to trying it and it didnt work. I have Win7 ultimate.
I ran the setup.exe and the install shield came up. But I soon received the error "this program does not support this OS".
I am wondering if my version of win7 is the issue?
You have to extract the files from the setup file. Read this post.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 PM

Default Following Directions

Hi,

Yes I did. I followed your instructions to the letter.
I am quite impressed with your idea to unpack the Creative file with 7zip.
I had never heard of that utility.

With your instructions, I got farther than I ever have before but still got the OS error.

I think that I have put all the effort into this that I am going to expend.
It really is no problem to just connect the player to my XP machine right next to my win7 pc.

But I will watch this thread to see if anyone experiences the same issue as me and if there is a work around.
Thanks

Old 06-12-2011, 04:05 PM

Default Didn't work for me

I also followed the instructions. I'm running Windows 7 Pro. I downloaded the 64 bit file, extracted it to a new folder on my desktop using 7-zip (downloaded both of these directly from "loosenut"s post), then in the Setup folder, ran 'setup' using 'run as administrator' (with my Zen connected and visible in Explore). Got the same message 'system doesn't support the installation'. I then downloaded directly from Creative's website, making sure to get the 64 bit version, rebooted, unzipped to a new folder set up in a different location, with same results.

I was so hopeful! I must be doing something wrong since several others have been successful. Any other suggestions

Old 06-13-2011, 12:42 PM

rdg1,

It sounds like you are doing everything right, so I don't know what I could say to help. You are running setup.exe (115 KB) in the Setup folder, as admin, right? Maybe you could try running it without your device connected? Or maybe try running it in Test Mode (mentioned in my original post).

Good luck.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:29 AM

Smile ZVM playlist management under Win 7

I have read some of the posts on this issue (thank you everyone!) and my first thought was... This is so F___in convoluted. I mean, under Win' XP, all I needed to do was plug in my ZVM, and the Creative media explorer would open up, I would then open my MP3 album folder, right click on a music folder, select "rename" right click again to "copy" that name, then drag/drop that music folder into the Creative media explorer playlist section wich in turn would open up a box where I would then "paste" the album name (otherwise known as my playlist name) and I was done!

Not so in the new world of Win 7 (to which I am admittedly a newbie) I installed the last known version of CME (6.21.10) on my system but unlike any of the previous versions, it does NOT create a desktop shortcut, in fact, it doesn't even show up in the programs list! I did however find it listed as an option in a sort of "auto-play" devices menu that pops up as soon as I plug in my ZVM (can be found in control panel, under "devices")And after a bit of my own trial and error (lot's of error) I discovered that I can get this devices window to launch CME 6.21.10 automatically (yay!) I then tried my drag & drop into the playlist technique but...Not so fast... it didnt do the conversion as it used to under Win XP

So then, I saw a button called "create playlist. and discovered that the process works like this: you must first import music folder into ZVM media library by either using the "add media" button in CME or other drag & drop methods , next you need to click on "create playlists" button which then brings up a list of all music foders contained on ZVM ( I have no idea why it does not sort them alphabetically) anyway you scroll down the list and click on the album (or folder) wou want to use as a playlist and then "add tracks" (or add all) type in a name at the top in the box labled "playlist name" and click "ok"

Now while much of this may seem "elementary" to many people, this was my first time doing it this way and I hope this helps demystify ZVM playlist management under Win' 7 for my fellow abi members...

-Steve

Last edited by sjulty; 08-14-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:28 PM

I too was having problems running Media Source on windows 7, but no more
I Have a Zen-M 30 gig Running Creative Media Source 5 5.10.38 (free download from creative) on my windows 7 64 bit computer. You have to buy the creative mp3 converter plug in for $9.99 and,poof, the software works with the Zen M, sees the zen-M, has list management, convert to local drive and zen at the same time...works like it did on XP. good luck

Old 09-17-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klanigan View Post
I too was having problems running Media Source on windows 7, but no more
I Have a Zen-M 30 gig Running Creative Media Source 5 5.10.38 (free download from creative) on my windows 7 64 bit computer. You have to buy the creative mp3 converter plug in for $9.99 and,poof, the software works with the Zen M, sees the zen-M, has list management, convert to local drive and zen at the same time...works like it did on XP. good luck
Is this available on the Creative website and will it allow me to add music to my player? I ams tuck in a rut here and need some advice!