android
Old 03-22-2010, 10:35 PM

Default Organisation of music - HELP !!

Hi guys,

Having real problems with the organisation of my music files. I sort them into a folder on my desktop, but when I transfer it on to the zen, the song files aren’t in the correct folder, they’re all over the place.
Is there any easy-to us programme to sort this out? I’m a bit of a nood see.

It’s hard to explain what I mean, I’ll try to give an example.

I download an album off the internet, put it into a folder, for arguments sake call it ‘A’., then when I open ‘A’ on my zen, there is maybe one or two music files in it, and the rest are dotted around other places in the other folders, it’s a disorganised mess and means I can’t listen to a whole album without having to go backwards and forwards.

Is there any easy-to us programme to sort this out? I’m a bit of a noob.

Thanks in advance.
Rob

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-26-2010, 10:25 AM

What program are you using and how are you transfering content to the player?

Old 03-27-2010, 03:45 AM

I have been using Windows Media Player from day one and never had any problem like what your describing. I find it easy to use but I guess there are better media programs out there. There's a series of reviews on this site of differint media programs that you might want to check out. Good Luck.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1077 View Post
Hi guys,

Having real problems with the organisation of my music files. I sort them into a folder on my desktop, but when I transfer it on to the zen, the song files arenít in the correct folder, theyíre all over the place.
Is there any easy-to us programme to sort this out? Iím a bit of a nood see.
Itís hard to explain what I mean, Iíll try to give an example.
I download an album off the internet, put it into a folder, for arguments sake call it ĎAí., then when I open ĎAí on my zen, there is maybe one or two music files in it, and the rest are dotted around other places in the other folders, itís a disorganised mess and means I canít listen to a whole album without having to go backwards and forwards.
Is there any easy-to us programme to sort this out? Iím a bit of a noob.
Thanks in advance.
Rob
The key to organizing your music on the player are the metadata tags of the music files themselves. Check the tags & make any corrections before you add the files to your music library & transfer to the player. MP3 Tag is good program for that.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
The key to organizing your music on the player are the metadata tags of the music files themselves. Check the tags & make any corrections before you add the files to your music library & transfer to the player. MP3 Tag is good program for that.
Googled a list of metadata tag editing software for sale. Is this really necessary? Was using WMP with complete success with my ZVM but am now having lots of trouble transferring edited track info to my Zen X-Fi style.

Have tried Media Monkey and WMP so far to edit/sync tracks, but music files show up on player with all kinds of other genres and artists. Organizing my music and playing back on the player with familiar tags is impossible thus far...

Old 09-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

redmdb: For sure, proper mp3 metatagging info [more commonly known as ID3 tags] is absolutely essential to me to insure completely trouble free results on any modern mp3 player.

All mp3 players fully support ID3 tags, even those that use the MSC mode and allow for folder browsing. But here is the thing...

Making sure your ID3 tags are present and correct [according to your own tastes and what works for you] is exactly like organizing the physical items in your house, like bills and paperwork. Think about it... A little effort beforehand saves you tons of migraines down the road.

mp3tag is my personal fave tagger for eons. It does it all, including pulling album art down from Amazon and embedding them [if you so choose]. It is simple to use and when you get good at it, tagging an CD/new album should take you no more than a few mins. AFter you add the ID3 tags, use the CONVERT TAG TO FILENAME function in mp3tag - this way, your music will be easily identifiable using both the folder MSC method and on all players which look at ID3 tags.

Best of both worlds. I personally cannot stand:
unknown tracks
misnamed tracks
out of sequence songs
unknown artists/albums/year
missing/inaccurate genres

If this stuff doesn't bother you, great! But if it does, tag!

So yes, IMO, tagging is essential. WMP, also, IMO, sucks. Completely. But I have zero experience with WMP11 and up.

And finally, mp3tag is completely free...

check it,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-22-2010, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess because it is a new player, that makes all the difference. Proper genre and artist information is essential to me as well. Thanks for the help. Will download mp3tag tonight and play around with it this weekend...

SIDE QUESTION:
ZVM menu went Music Library -> Genres ->Artists ->Albums
ZFXS menu goes Music Library ->Genres ->Albums

Can you change the menu order so that any genre first displays all artists before seeing every album in that genre?

Last edited by redmdb; 09-22-2010 at 10:20 PM.