android
Old 03-24-2010, 10:52 AM

Default Rockbox: Clip+

Read through the whole thread before posting - chances are good that your question has already been asked.

++++++++++++++++

Here's a bootloader: v4.0-bootloader-sansaclipplus-01.02.16-dual_boot - I'm not responsible if your Clip+ catches on fire, kicks your puppy, etc. This bootloader boots Rockbox by default - hold the left button while powering on to boot the stock firmware.

Current firmware builds can be found here: http://build.rockbox.org/data/rockbox-sansaclipplus.zip (This link is automatically updated whenever a new revision is released.)

Installation instructions
: Make sure the battery is charged. The Clip+ has to be in MSC mode, not MTP/Auto. Unpack the bootloader and a firmware build to the root of the Clip+. That's all.

++++++++++++++++

Rockbox status, read it: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS
Rockbox manual, read it: http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...box-build.html

++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer
  • Even though the bootloader installation and rockbox itself are tested, there's always a risk of BRICKING your device PERMANENTLY. Some Sansa AMS (m200 v4, C200 v2, Clip v2) have no known method for recovery, so this risk will not go away, even in (if any) future stable releases.
  • There's no known user-friendly recovery method for the AMS Sansas, those of them who can be unbricked (not all of them can) need to be physically opened, and they can be potentially damaged in the process.
  • Installation of a bootloader may or may not permanently disable DRM support, even if you uninstall it (this might only be true if you change the Date/Time settings).
  • mkamsboot will reject OF files which were not tested by us. If you try to patch a newer firmware, it will refuse. Use an older firmware.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-24-2010, 10:54 AM

Very nice as I said in the picture thread, how do you find it and dam this means I'll now be in the market to upgrade my clips.

Edit: well by "how do you find it" I mean is it better than the early days on the origional clip v1?

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 03-24-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:58 AM

How do I find it? I just copied my config.cfg and my WPS over from my 2GB Clipv1 and continued where I left off. Just with 8+2GB of storage space and a better power button. Thanks Funman, Saratoga, et al.

Memory seems to be read-only for the moment, so you can't write to the config file and such. It's just a minor issue, though.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:00 AM

Wow that's cool, so none of the playback glitches of the old days, that's just awsome

Old 03-24-2010, 12:12 PM

About four days after my Clip V1 arrives!

That's life I guess...

Old 03-24-2010, 02:12 PM

I am one happy camper!
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 03-24-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
I am one happy camper!
i will be happier when rockbox is considered »stable« enough for the average joe to install in the first clip, without risking having it bricked..
Amp: FiiO E5(Nationite EDITION)

Old 03-24-2010, 03:27 PM

Hi all,

I'm new here; so I'd like to first thank everyone for their great work! Anyway, I just rockboxed my clip+. It seems to be working okay, except for the fact that I cannot connect it to my computer! When I plug it into the usb, nothing shows up. I can't add or manage my files at all. Does anyone know what's going on here? I've tried shutting down, restarting it while plugged in...I've tried just about everything, but my computer refuses to read it as an external drive.

Am I completely missing something here, or am I stuck with what's already on the clip+ until a fix comes out? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-24-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberter View Post
Hi all,

I'm new here; so I'd like to first thank everyone for their great work! Anyway, I just rockboxed my clip+. It seems to be working okay, except for the fact that I cannot connect it to my computer! When I plug it into the usb, nothing shows up. I can't add or manage my files at all. Does anyone know what's going on here? I've tried shutting down, restarting it while plugged in...I've tried just about everything, but my computer refuses to read it as an external drive.

Am I completely missing something here, or am I stuck with what's already on the clip+ until a fix comes out? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Did you try booting to the origional firmware (hold home buttone while booting) and once it's booted, try connecting.

Edit: BTW welcome to abi, but keep in mind there is a warning on the first post ...

Old 03-24-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Did you try booting to the origional firmware (hold home buttone while booting) and once it's booted, try connecting.

Edit: BTW welcome to abi, but keep in mind there is a warning on the first post ...

Thanks! That worked like a charm. And, I realize this is unstable still and read the warning, but thought it was worth a try. Thanks again!

Old 03-24-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop4life View Post
i will be happier when rockbox is considered »stable« enough for the average joe to install in the first clip, without risking having it bricked..
I'm an average joe . I just figured the more testing and feedback the better.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 03-24-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop4life View Post
If you are talking about the v1, it's been working great for a long time ...

Old 03-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
If you are talking about the v1, it's been working great for a long time ...
Yep. Being listed in Rockbox's "unstable" category is not automatically the same thing as being brick-prone. The v1 Clip has been on the reliable, mature, and functional end of "unstable" for quite some time.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Banned

I shall buy a Clip+ tomorrow and do this.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:23 PM

Can someone tell me how to put rockbox on my clip+ in english? i dont get some of the things they say on their website.
And how long until a "more stable" version comes out?

Old 03-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANZA View Post
And how long until a "more stable" version comes out?
In answer to this question: Rockbox is a volunteer project undergone by interested coders who perform the difficult work of reverse-engineering audio players without any input from the original manufacturers. As a result, timelines cannot and will not be given. When progress is made, updates occur.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll be waiting.....with my luck, I would be the guy that bricked his Clip+. Maybe at some point down the line, yes....but not now.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I'll be waiting.....with my luck, I would be the guy that bricked his Clip+. Maybe at some point down the line, yes....but not now.
I'm with MM on this one. Good thing I didn't give away my v2's thinking it would be a long while before Rockbox ever became available for the v2's. I'll wait.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:59 PM

Ok, i was just hoping for an estimation considering how long it took for other players.
And can someone give me a quick explanation on how to install it?
I don't know what they mean by terminal, CD, and some other things...

Old 03-25-2010, 01:50 AM

Hi Everyone,

I've been using my new rockboxed clip+, and I will say that it is still very unstable to warn you all. I get numerous errors when trying to play songs, and the database doesn't work at all. The errors I get usually still allow for playback, however. Weird. An error will occur...then a brief pause, and then it will play.

Anyway, the most troublesome error has been my clip+ completely shutting down. I turned it off for a while, came back, and it would not start up at all. I tried for a good 10 minutes, and almost completely gave up on it. Eventually, it started after I plugged the usb port in and started it up in its native operating system. I had already tried that a few times...I have no idea why it started to work. Anyway, it's playing right now, and I want to listen to it as I fall asleep, so I won't shut down again, but I'll let you know what happens when I do again. I was able to shut down and restart earlier, in either rockbox or the native system, without trouble.

I'm not complaining. I knew the risks, but I thought I'd let you all know my experiences so you can have a better understanding of what to expect. I will say, that even with the errors, the rockbox capabilities are pretty damn amazing. Unfortunately, I've got it in the native UI right now.

Couple of other quick notes. You can only write on the player in the native UI. The computer does not read the clip+ at all when in rockbox mode. Also, the coloring is a bit off...something I could personally care less about. The top half is yellow, the bottom is blue, but the artist name gets cut off...so it's mostly blue, but also slightly yellow at the tips of the letters. Like I said, nothing to worry about, but just thought I'd let ya'll know. Hope this helps!