android
Old 04-02-2010, 04:56 PM

Default iaudio 9 not so loud?

hi to all, i just get an iaudio 9 to substitute my samsung r0, i had in the past a d2+ and the volume was very loud one of the best i ever heard, now with i9 seem that also the samsung with is 20mW powe for channel is more powerful than this, maybe i need to do some change in the settings or is i9 not so loud?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-02-2010, 05:19 PM

For the S9 you do the following:
open your S9 system folder, and simply delete the "PARAM" file. Power off. Power up. (There is no need to change firmware at all).

You are back at the original screen. 1. Choose your language. 2. Next DO NOT CHOOSE THE EUROPE setting. 3. Third, choose your radio setting - any will do.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:23 PM

Loud enough for iem's or earbuds to cause hearing damage, what phones are you trying to drive? BTW, no settings to make it louder, you'd have to add a portable amp to increase the volume more.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-02-2010, 05:28 PM

thx rolo jam i do what u sayng and now is a lot more louder probably european union have limited volume like other players

Old 04-03-2010, 01:11 PM

@ RoloJam, glad you knew as neither of my cowon’s have that file, guess it’s cause I’m in the USA I learned something, thanks.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:18 AM

J3 not loud = r.u.nuts? The reason why I say that is because I just received my 9 and plugged in my Westone UM1 and almost blew my eye sockets out. This is absolutely the loudest mp3 player I have heard.
Being new to this product Im not up on all the tweaks and features but maybe it will not support some headsets. I say this because I tried my sons SkullCandy earbuds and they sounded terrible.
Hope someone can clear this up for me. Love the sound but hate the interface it too touchy.

Last edited by g.711; 04-10-2010 at 03:40 AM.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.711 View Post
J3 not loud = r.u.nuts? The reason why I say that is because I just received my 9 and plugged in my Westone UM1 and almost blew my eye sockets out.
The EU imposes laws on mp3 manufacturers that the default maximum volume of their mp3 players be no louder than 80 decibels. Thus the instructions posted in post #2 by RoloJam, if you had read post #3 also you would realize that the limiting file on them is not included in the ones sold in the USA.

Quote:
I say this because I tried my sons SkullCandy earbuds and they sounded terrible. Hope someone can clear this up for me.
That is the general consensus, skullcandy has their focus on target marketing, looks and zero sound quality …

Quote:
Love the sound but hate the interface it too touchy.
What player do you have? As you post starts out “J3 not loud” …

Old 04-10-2010, 06:23 AM

Sorry I was unaware of that I hope I didn't come off too jerky I wasa just supprised that someone would says its (i9) not loud. I have an i9 and a j3 on its way. Thanks for the quick reply.
By the way where can I find skins for the i9?

Old 04-10-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
... By the way where can I find skins for the i9?
There could be more but the only two that I've seen are:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=50650

http://www.mediafire.com/?imtjoumyz2d

Old 04-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Banned

As far as I know Sony is the only manufacturer to impose the EU's resrtriction, and then only in its most recent players.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
As far as I know Sony is the only manufacturer to impose the EU's resrtriction, and then only in its most recent players.
apple too, if u hear an ipod nano last gen buyed in europe u cant barely heard something when u are on a bus

Old 02-20-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
Sony has been imposing the EU restrictions for years, I remember even my NetMD was volume-limited and I needed to enter some debug mode or something to turn that off.

Mind you, the EU restrictions are a very good idea because more and more young people suffer from permanent hearing damage due to overly loud listening volumes. The only problem is that of course, headphones have different sensitivities ie. what is more than loud enough on the stock Sony earbuds won't be satisfactory on lower sensitivity headphones.

Many other manufacturers impose these laws as well but they are relatively easy to overcome since all it takes is changing the region in the settings.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@expatCanuck...

Old 02-20-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukazzo View Post
hi to all, i just get an iaudio 9 to substitute my samsung r0, i had in the past a d2+ and the volume was very loud one of the best i ever heard, now with i9 seem that also the samsung with is 20mW powe for channel is more powerful than this, maybe i need to do some change in the settings or is i9 not so loud?
My experience with the iAudio 9, at normal settings, has been that
the device is indeed anemic.

Driving (admittedly p.o.s.) auvio earbuds, on quiet songs, maxed out,
I often can't get sufficient volume on my public transit commute home.

In contrast, I typically kept my iPod Classic limited to about 80% of max,
& could typically get sufficient volume.

[And, no, I'm not a former heavy metal synth punk burnout.
My listening has always tended towards folk / pop.]

Old 02-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Cowon, Sony, Apple, and Archos are all now following the EU volume restriction - but Archos is, IMO, the most famous offender,...er, I mean complying company.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:53 PM

The official manufacturer power ratings are usually bullshit, and don't tell anything at all: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=41708 - the "40mW" Cowon X5 is exactly as loud as the "74mW" Cowon D2, for example.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:17 PM

I tried out iAudio 9 a few months ago, bought on Amazon in the US. It was very quiet with the 80-Ohm headphones, which I realize it was not meant to drive, but still it was the lowest output of ant portable device I've ever tried. I did not like the controls, either, so I returned it, although it had some good features.

Last edited by sergivs; 03-19-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: iAudio 9, not 7

Old 12-19-2011, 01:39 PM

i need your hulp! i deleted the param file from my cowon x7. but now i cant play the music!? i reinstall the firmware but it didnt help. what should i do?? and i use a macbook air.