android
Old 07-05-2010, 01:01 AM

Help ZVM 60gb thick Motherboard replacement

I have a ZVM 60gb thick that I absolutely love to death. Unfortunately, the connector that joins the battery to the motherboard broke off. The pins are intact, but the connection is too small for me to solder. Unless someone happens to know an easy fix, I think I'm going to have to replace the motherboard.

Most websites list the 60gb mobo and the 30gb mobo separately. Is there any real difference? I know the 30gb can be upgraded with a higher capacity hard drive, so will it accept my 60gb drive?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-15-2010, 05:24 PM

Seriously, anyone? I really need help here. I'm desperate.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookySharif View Post
I have a ZVM 60gb thick that I absolutely love to death. Unfortunately, the connector that joins the battery to the motherboard broke off. The pins are intact, but the connection is too small for me to solder. Unless someone happens to know an easy fix, I think I'm going to have to replace the motherboard.

Most websites list the 60gb mobo and the 30gb mobo separately. Is there any real difference? I know the 30gb can be upgraded with a higher capacity hard drive, so will it accept my 60gb drive?
Yes, there is a difference in the boards. The 60GB has the USB host feature that the 30GB does not have. The 30GBplayer will take the 60GB drive however you will need to format it & reload the firmware for the 30GB player & use the thicker backing to accommodate the drives thickness

Old 08-15-2011, 10:20 PM

I have the exact same problem.

It all started when I broke the LCD screen in my 60 gig Zen Vision:M. I ordered a replacement screen off of ebay and while I was installing the new screen I must have bent the battery connector on the motherboard as my M is now a dead.

So I am curious as to how your situation turned out... did you end up buying a new motherboard? or did you try re-soldering the broken battery connector?

Please let me know if you can! Thank you!

Old 08-24-2011, 11:33 PM

I have soldered many of these successfully. It depends on how badly you broke off the solder points. If you take a magnifying glass and look where the 3 points solder to the board and you can see the silver points, then it can be resoldered. If there are little black marks where the silver points should be, then you are screwed.
If you need help feel free to private message me. I only log in about twice a month so be patient.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:44 PM

Well, I appreciate your help and advice, but I guess I am a little too impatient.

I have already ordered a "new" motherboard off of ebay.

I have yet to recieve it, so I haven't been able to get my Zen working again, but I am expecting the shipment any day now!

But thanks again!

Old 08-26-2011, 10:04 PM

Default Impatient? Mee too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean The Machine View Post
Well, I appreciate your help and advice, but I guess I am a little too impatient.

I have already ordered a "new" motherboard off of ebay.

I have yet to recieve it, so I haven't been able to get my Zen working again, but I am expecting the shipment any day now!

But thanks again!
Ha ha ha! I am too!
I am back and it hasnt been 2 weeks! I just wanted to see how it is going.
I am glad that you care enough to invest a little to keep your player.
Hey, while you are at it why not upgrade the drive?
Sell your little 60gb on eBay. I usually get $60 for them. Then you take your $60 toward a nice little Toshiba MK1214GAH 120gb or Toshiba MK1011GAH 100gb.
Just a thought.
I will be watching this thread to see how it goes...

Old 08-26-2011, 11:41 PM

Well I'll start with aa update.

I got the replacement motherboard in the mail on Thursday and after installing it in my Zen my mp3 player is no longer a brick and it is now back from the dead! Although, literally 2 or 3 minutes after I had finished putting it back together, and as I was listening to some music, I dropped my Zen on the floor! Fortunately for me it didn't land on the screen, and however it landed, it didn't break again! That would have sucked... anyways.

Now regarding your idea about upgrading the hard drive, I have actually wanted to do that for a long time now! But I have had many questions and concerns that I wasn't able to find definitive answers for after searching here on this forum and online, and so I was hesitant to spend the money on something that wasn't a sure thing.

Maybe you might be able to answer some of my questions?

For the two Toshiba drives that you mentioned, do they have the exact same connector that the original 60 gig drive has? or would I have to buy some kind of adapter or a different connector ribbon? I've also read on this forum of people that said they had to "file" down some part of the connector, and that is not something that I would want to do.

Also, are those two Toshiba drives the same thickness as the 60 gig hard drive? Or would I have to somehow put a spacer in to prevent the Toshiba drives from moving around? And are those two drives the same height and width?

Also, do you have any suggestions on the best place to buy either of those drives? I know I can just search for them, which I have done, but I'm just wondering if you know of a particularly good place.

Anyways, those are my concerns I guess. If you (or anyone else) could answer some or all of them that would be amazing! If not, no worries!

Thanks again for your help!