android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze

Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 PM

Default why does "refreshing your media" take so long???

i have about 1000 songs on my 8gb fuze and everytime i disc it from my mac it refreshes the media and it takes forever, like 2-3 minutes

does this happen to everyone or whats wrong?

my fuze is rockboxed btw

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-29-2010, 11:30 PM

If you a have a V1 Fuze, you can use USB in Rockbox.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:53 AM
Banned

this is normal, hes got a v2 fuze, if you want to speed it up drastically, use mp3tag or a similar app to clean up the tags on you files(any audio format)

if you can run mp3tag(no clue if theres a mac version) you want to have it remove id3v1 and ape tags, have it write only id3v2.3 iso-8859-1 if you do this and remove any tags you dont need it will speed database refresh DRASTICALLY.

i went from 15+min refresh to around 3 on a fuze that was FULL of files(over 3k files/songs) rockbox dosnt have this issue, once you enable db and such it will just update in background without you knowing it, I dont know why sandisk dont have the fuze do this by default but..well at least with RB you dont need to go into OF offten so you dont have to wait for db refreshes :P

Old 09-04-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggyCuppy View Post
this is normal, hes got a v2 fuze, if you want to speed it up drastically, use mp3tag or a similar app to clean up the tags on you files(any audio format)

if you can run mp3tag(no clue if theres a mac version) you want to have it remove id3v1 and ape tags, have it write only id3v2.3 iso-8859-1 if you do this and remove any tags you dont need it will speed database refresh DRASTICALLY.

i went from 15+min refresh to around 3 on a fuze that was FULL of files(over 3k files/songs) rockbox dosnt have this issue, once you enable db and such it will just update in background without you knowing it, I dont know why sandisk dont have the fuze do this by default but..well at least with RB you dont need to go into OF offten so you dont have to wait for db refreshes :P
what does removing "tags" do to it?
will it still have the title and artist and all that info?

Old 09-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

If you remove the tags you will lose all info in the tags, so no title and artist.

But thats not what hes talking about. He said to remove all the extra tags that aren't needed (ID3v1, APE, etc). I doubt this really helps, but trimming extra crap out of the ID3v2 tags probably does, since it'll save a lot of time digging through files to parse them.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
If you remove the tags you will lose all info in the tags, so no title and artist.

But thats not what hes talking about. He said to remove all the extra tags that aren't needed (ID3v1, APE, etc). I doubt this really helps, but trimming extra crap out of the ID3v2 tags probably does, since it'll save a lot of time digging through files to parse them.
Per the recommendations in this thread, I used MediaMonkey to clean the tags in my MP3s and it definitely reduced the "refreshing media" time on my Sansa Fuze. It used to take more than 10 minutes, now it takes less than 5 minutes.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 11-28-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
Per the recommendations in this thread, I used MediaMonkey to clean the tags in my MP3s and it definitely reduced the "refreshing media" time on my Sansa Fuze. It used to take more than 10 minutes, now it takes less than 5 minutes.
I asked this in another thread... I can see how getting rid of unneeded tags and fields could speed up scanning of the files. But which fields exactly do you want to leave? Can the Fuze use sorting fields such as ARTISTSORT? Can it use ALBUMARTIST? What's the best way to tag compilation albums?

Old 11-28-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
I asked this in another thread... I can see how getting rid of unneeded tags and fields could speed up scanning of the files. But which fields exactly do you want to leave? Can the Fuze use sorting fields such as ARTISTSORT? Can it use ALBUMARTIST? What's the best way to tag compilation albums?
As far as what tags to leave, what I did was have MediaMonkey (MM) completely remove all of the ID3 tags in my MP3s. Then I had MM rewrite the tags based on what was in the MM database, and only in version 2.3 encoded as ASCII + UTF-16.

As far as the tags I wanted, I only wanted those from the information contained in MM. I also have it set to automatically remove any tag that is not used. Although it results in a few tags unneeded by my player, it hasn't been a significant issue when syncing so far.

Before I did this I scanned my ID3 tags and discovered that I had a large number of old tags from different programs in my MP3s (such as from both WMP and iTunes). Doing what I described in the first paragraph completely cleaned out all of the unneeded tags, and made sure that those that remain are in sync with MM so that they should remain clean (as long I don't let any other program touch the files).

As far as tagging compilation albums, I use the Album Artist in MediaMonkey to handle this (I think the actual ID3 designation is "BAND"), not just for compilations but for all albums. If the album is a collection of tracks with a common artist, then I use the common artist name, such as with a greatest hits album by Glen Campbell (which contains a few duets).

With true compilations, such as soundtracks, I use "Various" for the album artist while artist contains the actual artist for that song. I organize the songs on my hard drive by album artist and then by album, so it puts all of the compilations together in a "Various" folder. This is a simple way that works for me.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 11-28-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
With true compilations, such as soundtracks, I use "Various" for the album artist while artist contains the actual artist for that song. I organize the songs on my hard drive by album artist and then by album, so it puts all of the compilations together in a "Various" folder. This is a simple way that works for me.
Is the software smart enough to suppress 'track' artists from the artist list? That is, artists that don't have their own full CD and might only have a single track on some compilation. That's the biggest benefit of any library software that recognizes compilations.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:25 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
I'm doing a bunch of tags right now and this is how i do all of my music, removing all the tags that are not needed. Tagging only the needed fields should speed the reading of all your files on any device or software.

Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 03-09-2011, 08:44 AM

Cool Thanks you man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
I'm doing a bunch of tags right now and this is how i do all of my music, removing all the tags that are not needed. Tagging only the needed fields should speed the reading of all your files on any device or software.

Thank you very much for posting this. Even though I followed the prompts to clean my t tags of the old tags it didn't make a huge difference in my load times. But after doing what you said and removing the extra fields from all my music such as comments, disc numbers that did the trick. With about 2900 songs on my 8gb Fuze and 16gb micro sd card my refresh times are about 3 minutes (down from 10-15+ minutes). If I was to only refresh the 8gb Fuze the load times are less than 30 secs. I'm very happy to have solved this issue but wonder why these issues even exist? Sansa could definitely incorporate some features into their Fuzes to bypass this for us less than expert music lovers (most of us BTW)

Old 11-13-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post

I want to pick up a clip zip tomorrow so in the meantime, I have all my music (around 17gb or so, mp3 and m4a mostly) selected on my 32gb microsd card (from my tablet), any way to have mp3tag remove the appropriate info from all the files at once?

I would rather not have to load each and every song one at a time.

Also, it would be nice to keep the id3v1 tags so it keeps proper compatibility with my android devices and power amp.

edit nevermind, dont mind the noob here.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batkinson001 View Post
I want to pick up a clip zip tomorrow so in the meantime, I have all my music (around 17gb or so, mp3 and m4a mostly) selected on my 32gb microsd card (from my tablet), any way to have mp3tag remove the appropriate info from all the files at once?

I would rather not have to load each and every song one at a time.

Also, it would be nice to keep the id3v1 tags so it keeps proper compatibility with my android devices and power amp.

edit nevermind, dont mind the noob here.
You don't need id3v1 tags for Android and Poweramp.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Banned

saratoga, he really does helpt o remove the non v2 iso tags, and any excess tags(like if u dont need the"comment" tag or "composer" or "disk number" tags, removing all tags you dont need can speed up DB refresh drastically, read up on the sandisk forums, its mentioned quite a bit, i was sceptical at first, but it can cut insain long db refreshes down to under 10min(one guy had refreshes that where over 30min, cut it down to like 8min from what i remember)

I had saved some links to topics about this but since sandisk moved to the new forum software...well the old software sucked but at least its search worked better...

Old 11-10-2010, 01:58 PM

Hi. I am a new poster, with 2 sansa e200's (rockbox'd), an old 80gb rockbox'd ipod and my new favorite - an 8gb Fuze V2 with a 16gb micro sd.
Except the "refreshing your media" situation STINKS! I don't have that problem on my other rockbox'd players.

Does anyone know if Rockbox for Fuze V2 will get to the point where the media refresh will no longer occur? Does anyone know how to eliminate this problem altogether, or is it a necessary evil?

I am doing a massive id3 tag clean up per above. on all 24gb of tunes. this oughta take a while, but will hopefully speed the process.

well just did the tag clean up. still slow! checked the sandisk forums and this is complaint for many over there, too.

I hope the next Rockbox upgrade for Fuze can bypass this ridiculous flaw.

Last edited by idivorceyou; 11-10-2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: added a comment

Old 11-11-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idivorceyou View Post
Hi. I am a new poster, with 2 sansa e200's (rockbox'd), an old 80gb rockbox'd ipod and my new favorite - an 8gb Fuze V2 with a 16gb micro sd.
Except the "refreshing your media" situation STINKS! I don't have that problem on my other rockbox'd players.
Quote:
well just did the tag clean up. still slow!
How many minutes? Which tag fields are you now using? Are you using album art? If so, how big? How are your music files organized? How many songs per folder? It should take no more than a few minutes. The more information you provide, the better the chances of someone being able to help you.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:32 PM

thank you Enigmatic -

my music is in folders: /genre/artist/album. All are nicely id3 tagged - there are some flac and wma files though, not all are mp3

I used mp3tag to eliminate comments and id3 v1. There is definintely album art on some of the files, I like it!

as to how many minutes for "Refreshing your media", it takes about 9 minutes. Which to me is just ridiculous.

As I've said, all my other rockbox'd sandisk devices do not have the OF refreshing the media after laoding on music and then ejecting the devices.

thank you for inquiring. But based upon this thread, I am not optimistic that there is presently an answer and I apparently am stuck with this problem until Rockbox addresses this issue of the V2 Fuze.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My Fuze V2, with less than 40MB free, and 2,993 songs (8GB internal plus 16GB card) takes just over three minutes to refresh.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idivorceyou View Post
my music is in folders: /genre/artist/album. All are nicely id3 tagged - there are some flac and wma files though, not all are mp3
My music is organized, as recommended by Rockbox, in folders: /artist/album—i.e., without genre. On average, about how many songs per album? I suspect that many albums with only one song in them might increase the refresh time. This appears to be the case with my Fuzes.
Quote:
I used mp3tag to eliminate comments and id3 v1.
Which tag fields are you now using? I am using only album, artist, genre, replaygain_album_gain, replaygain_track_gain, replaygain_track_peak, title, track, and year. All other tag fields I have eliminated with Mp3tag. Did you try removing every tag field except the minimum that you must have?
Quote:
There is definintely album art on some of the files, I like it!
I, too, have album art for many of my albums. But I try to keep the size of each album art as small as possible.
Quote:
as to how many minutes for "Refreshing your media", it takes about 9 minutes. Which to me is just ridiculous.
It does sound like something is definitely wrong. How many music files are on your Fuze? I have an 8-GB version-one Fuze with a 16-GB card. I have 901 MB free in internal memory, 3.93 GB free in external memory, 2572 MP3s, and one WMA. The last time I timed the refresh, it was 2:14.

I have a 2-GB version-two Fuze with a 16-GB card. I have 440 MB free in internal memory, 2.46 GB free in external memory, and 2065 MP3s. The last time I timed the refresh, it was 3:46.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:06 PM

I have the same setup, Marvin, but my refresh time is ridiculous.