android
Old 07-03-2011, 01:52 PM

Default Zune Pass Music on Other Players?

Frankly, I'm tired of my Zune. It's a nice player but I want to upgrade to something that has bluetooth (way to fail on the lack of hardware updates to the Zune Microsoft). I have been using the Zune Pass for about a year now and love it so I am wanting to move that library over to my new player.

So, are there any players capable of playing Zune DRM? I don't care if the music will expire after 30 days and I have to resync but losing my entire collection of Zune Music (3k songs) would be terrible and take forever to replace. So, any info into this would be great!

Btw, I think it's bad if this music can't be played on other players. Microsoft lured us in with a nice piece of hardware and then killed it off after we became dependent on an awesome music rental subscription model.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-03-2011, 02:38 PM

link

Windows 7 phones?

My advice would cancel and rebuy your music as CD's overtime (making a perfect FLAC copy) but that would take a lot of effort. . .

Old 07-03-2011, 09:02 PM

Uhm.... that seems HIGHLY illogical and overwhelmingly expensive. Assuming 10 songs per CD that would mean 300 CDs, even at $10 a CD that's $3,000.... not to mention time, effort, etc.

So this means that 0 other players are able to play zune correct?

Old 08-22-2011, 04:05 AM

i have heard that some cowon and creative players can synch via wmp 11. Can anyone confirm this?

Old 08-22-2011, 11:22 AM

According to the zunerama forums Zunespass songs can be played on any Playsforsure device.
I believe you would have to resync your collection after expiration.

Guessing from the thread players with MTP support work as well. But don't my word for it.

Links to the threads:
http://zunerama.com/forum/index.php?topic=1373.0
http://zunerama.com/forum/index.php?topic=3079.0

Old 08-23-2011, 07:25 AM

thanks, thats pretty old info, was wondering can anyone confirm it still works

Old 08-23-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishzune View Post
I can't confirm at this moment but it worked on my wife's Zen that broke a few months ago. It should work on any PlaysForSure device. And yes you have to resync the content after it expires.

I concur about having a Zune app on other OS's, that way you could stream and get the cool stuff like bios and photos. I'm liking MOG on iOS though, it's just not as rich an experience as Zune. But their similar artist radio is better than SmartDJ.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
I can't confirm at this moment but it worked on my wife's Zen that broke a few months ago. It should work on any PlaysForSure device.
From wikipedia (at the very end of the Firmware section):

"Zune supports the Windows Media DRM digital rights management system, which is not compatible with other DRM systems and is not part of the PlaysForSure platform or program."

I may be wrong, but isn't saying that it isn't part of the program mean that it isn't compatible? Or am assuming too much?

The reference for that statement is from a CNET review, which, while I disagree with them about a lot of things they review, they have always had info and specs right when I've read things on the site.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:53 PM

Pfft, CNET.

You now have 1411 posts.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
From wikipedia (at the very end of the Firmware section):

"Zune supports the Windows Media DRM digital rights management system, which is not compatible with other DRM systems and is not part of the PlaysForSure platform or program."

I may be wrong, but isn't saying that it isn't part of the program mean that it isn't compatible? Or am assuming too much?

The reference for that statement is from a CNET review, which, while I disagree with them about a lot of things they review, they have always had info and specs right when I've read things on the site.
lots of reports from a few years back of it working, its not same as playsforsure but apparently works but is not supported

Old 08-25-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
I can't confirm at this moment but it worked on my wife's Zen that broke a few months ago. It should work on any PlaysForSure device. And yes you have to resync the content after it expires.

I concur about having a Zune app on other OS's, that way you could stream and get the cool stuff like bios and photos. I'm liking MOG on iOS though, it's just not as rich an experience as Zune. But their similar artist radio is better than SmartDJ.
thanks, looks lke it will work so

Old 08-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What MS should do is create and release a Zune Music app for android and iOS and webOS. Then price it $9.99 a month with a free song or two they can download every week.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishzune View Post
Yes. Works using Sansa Clip+ and WMP11. I sync Zune HD, Windows Phone 7 and the Clip. Use Zune software for the Zune devices and WMP for Sansa. Tried on a Creative Zen----also worked.
There are a couple drawbacks, though. You have to convert your playlists from .zpl to .m3u or .pla (I think that's what they are). Otherwise they don't work in WMP. I downloaded a free "Zune to .m3u" converter that does this in less than a second.
You still seem to have the same DRM restrictions as Zune (if you sync to too many devices, WMP appears to "know"). You have to connect your player to the computer every month to update DRM rights. Some have said you have to actually transfer songs to player to update DRM----I have not found that to be the case. Obviously no "Smart DJ" on device, nor Channel support. No artist pictures and bios. You get the music, though. Works fine, as of July 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
What MS should do is create and release a Zune Music app for android and iOS and webOS. Then price it $9.99 a month with a free song or two they can download every week.
Coming with the new XBox Music, so they say. No word yet on features for other platforms other than streaming (and that is just a solid rumor from good sources). Supposedly, per MS, XBox Music has all the features of Zune Pass (meaning you can download for offline use). They confirmed Smart DJ will be in there. Also confirmed a 50% increase in library---from 20 to 30 million tracks. So they say.

Last edited by skip252; 07-22-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: posts merged, please edit consecutive posts instead of multiposting

Old 08-04-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM132 View Post
Yes. Works using Sansa Clip+ and WMP11. I sync Zune HD, Windows Phone 7 and the Clip. Use Zune software for the Zune devices and WMP for Sansa. Tried on a Creative Zen----also worked.
There are a couple drawbacks, though. You have to convert your playlists from .zpl to .m3u or .pla (I think that's what they are). Otherwise they don't work in WMP. I downloaded a free "Zune to .m3u" converter that does this in less than a second.
You still seem to have the same DRM restrictions as Zune (if you sync to too many devices, WMP appears to "know"). You have to connect your player to the computer every month to update DRM rights. Some have said you have to actually transfer songs to player to update DRM----I have not found that to be the case. Obviously no "Smart DJ" on device, nor Channel support. No artist pictures and bios. You get the music, though. Works fine, as of July 2012.

Coming with the new XBox Music, so they say. No word yet on features for other platforms other than streaming (and that is just a solid rumor from good sources). Supposedly, per MS, XBox Music has all the features of Zune Pass (meaning you can download for offline use). They confirmed Smart DJ will be in there. Also confirmed a 50% increase in library---from 20 to 30 million tracks. So they say.
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna find this zune to .m3u converter

Old 08-04-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM132 View Post
Hmmm everything I've read about XBox Music says it's streaming only, no downloads. To my knowledge MS (Zune) is the only service that allows downloads on a computer. MOG (and maybe some others) allows downloads only on a mobile device so I would imagine MS is going to take that route. I sure hope that's wrong though.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Hmmm everything I've read about XBox Music says it's streaming only, no downloads. To my knowledge MS (Zune) is the only service that allows downloads on a computer. MOG (and maybe some others) allows downloads only on a mobile device so I would imagine MS is going to take that route. I sure hope that's wrong though.
While nothing definitive is public (yet), MS claims all features of currrent ZunePass carry over into XBox Music. We are all going to transfer-into that program, from what I've read---no option to "grandfather". Also from good rumors, the feature-set of XBox Music is even larger than ZunePass is (streaming on non-MS devices).
I believe you can sign up for a paid account with Spotify and actually download songs. Whether these can transfer to an mp3 player---doubt it. Perhaps to a smartphone with the Spotify app installed. You can also save some Slacker stuff for offline, but those are "stations" and not individually downloaded tracks you can select without limit. I don't know of anything other than ZunePass that allows total freedom of downloads to an mp3 player (and I include PlaysForSure stuff such as Zen and Sansa because it works although "unsupported"). Edit---yes, I do. Rhapsody allows mp3 downloads to select players. I just quit that service when I joined ZunePass. I had a grandfathered "Yahoo Music Unlimited" account that did NOT allow downloads to an mp3 player--only to the computer.
Personally, I find myself using my WP7 more and more for music (also have a Zune HD and Sansa Clip+). With the exception of channel support, there is not much missing in the "Zune" implementation of Windows Phone. Audiobooks are an "outside" app (OverDrive, Audible).
UPDATE 8-29-12---just got email from XBox that channels, Zune Apps, MixView are all GONE in 2 days. No longer supported by any Zune, Zune software, etc..
UPDATE 12-30-13----in case somebody finds this via a search engine....pretty old info. Xbox Music through the new "apps" does not support any of the old mp3 player transfer. Your downloaded songs via the app do not even show up in WMP anymore. There appears to be another location for the DRM in the new Windows 8 Xbox Music app that legacy stuff can't find. Even if you transfer music you downloaded to your phone (Windows Phone 8), the songs have to find the DRM and are usually not immediately playable on your phone after transfer. This is important if you load songs on your phone using Windows 8 and leave for the airport expecting to have music for your flight---maybe not! Do it ahead of time and allow the "new" DRM to sync up and they should play. However, even with the new Xbox Music Pass stuff, we still have access to the old Zune Software (which is the only thing that supports a Zune player or Windows Phone 7). If you download the very same song under Zune, all the DRM songs appear in WMP and WILL STILL SYNCH with a PlaysForSure player. I am doing it right now! Same DRM limits (number of devices synced), and once a month you have to connect your player to the computer and let WMP refresh the licenses (like always) or they won't play. You DO NOT need to download anything to your player---log in to Zune, start WMP, plug in player and wait for DRM to update (note---I've found I must be logged in to Zune or nothing will refresh licenses so I start up both Zune software and WMP).
So---bottom line---as of start of 2014 you can still download songs to PC, still transfer them to a phone or mp3 player, etc..

Last edited by MikeM132; 12-30-2013 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Current Update

Old 08-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't believe so. I know it sucks, but there are other subscription services out there.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Administrator

More recent word on this from someone who really ought to know what they're talking about. If you open out to the full thread there's more info on the requirements.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:27 PM

Zune Pass music works on my brother's Sansa Clip, which supports PlaysForSure. He has to sync monthly.