android
Old 09-20-2011, 01:38 PM

Default How to add tracks on my own playlist

Hi! Just tested and tried rockbox on Fuze. It's very nice OS, really, much better than the original one!

I learnt how it works more or less (playlist methods, dynamic and not), queue + insert (so different as adding method) and many other features.

That I really don't understand is this :

- I select files from Filew->MY DIRECTORY;
- Long press on select->Playlist Catalog-> Add to new Playlist (to be honest, the only way I know to build a custom playlist with my own name);
- I write the name; after, I return on Files->MAIN DIRECTORY and I can see the playlist I build;

Now, if I try to access to that, I see the track was added to playlist. But now? If I'd like to add a new track? tried to select my file->Playlist Catalog->Add to playlist, but the player says "No Files".

Looks as the playlist (previously created) is not avaiable. Why? And how can I fix it?

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-21-2011, 05:02 AM

Maybe my question is not so clear? I can try to rewrite it (I know, my english is crap).

Also tried to read http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...#x7-710004.4.3 , but I don't get any informations about it...

Old 09-21-2011, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Your question is clear enough. It's just hard to really say how to work with playlists better than how it's said in the manual. The manual is very literal. The assumption is made that you know what each term means and do the described action just as it's stated. I've found that if you do you get the expected results. If you do something different then things just don't work.

I've tried rephrasing some of the manual's directions a few times with different degrees of success. Some people were able to use how I rephrased things to get things working, some weren't. YMMV. One of those times is here, another is here.

One major change from then is that the default save location should be the Playlist Catalogue (hate that damn spelling change!) now. That change was made to help clear up the confusion as to where the playlist was saved. I say *should* because I have a custom build installed on my Fuze and can't check for certain. The default location is changed on my other Rockboxed Sansas so I assume it would be true for you with a current build.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:33 AM

Yeah, but Manual is very clear for me! I just don't find a section that speak about Playlist Catalog List (except the section 4.4.2), which say "Note: All playlists in the Playlist catalogue are stored by default in the /Playlists directory in the root of your player’s disk and playlists stored in other locations are not included in the catalogue". That is true, because I see those playlist clicking on Files-> (that should be the root). But is it false??!?!

The fact is : when "I add track to new playlist" (and I save it with name), on Files that playlist really exist (with the track added).
Why, when I try to add another track to that playlist, I don't see any playlist list? That's what I'd like to know...

Is there any other discussion for this trouble?

Last edited by djfonplaz; 09-21-2011 at 07:39 AM.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:12 AM

Videos are a lot easier to understand. Dj if you really have tried doing everything and nothing works, then I suggest you take a video of the problem and post it up.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 AM

But...what is not clear on my recent discussion?

Old 09-21-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfonplaz View Post
But...what is not clear on my recent discussion?
I don't know. I don't rockbox my stuff.

If you have tried all the solutions and you still can't solve the problem, take a video of the steps you took. From the video, others can point out your mistake or something you did wrong along the way.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Administrator

You read through and tried all the steps I linked to in those two threads 9 minutes? Time of my post, 07:24 AM. Time of your follow up, 07:33 AM.

Big heads up. There have been two people here in the last year that have helped people get up to speed on Rockbox playlists. I haven't seen lestatar in a while and I don't see anybody else responding to your posts. If you are going to ignore what I've posted about this before I'm not real inclined to type it all over again here.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:38 AM

Yes man I tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
1) long Select a file, that should bring up the Context menu

2) scroll to Playlist Catalog, Select that

3) scroll to Add to Playlist , Select that, you should see a list of the pre-made playlists. <----- HERE THERE IS MY PROBLEM

4) Scroll to the one you would like to add the file to, Select that.
In fact I don't see any list on Playlist Catalog... (that's what I says in my reply).

Second link looks like my problem, but there is no solution? :confused

Last edited by djfonplaz; 09-21-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Of course there's a solution. I make and use playlists in Rockbox all the time. On-the-fly playlists was one of the major reasons I first used Rockbox. They're an important part of how I listen to my Music.

If there's no lists in the Playlist Catalogue you haven't put any there. If you have saved a playlist using a current build it saves to the Playlist Catalogue. I just updated to a current build to be sure of that and it's the same as all my other Sansas. You'll probably want to review the steps to make and save a playlist. Remember pressing Long Select actually saves the list once you've created it and named it using the virtual keyboard.

If you read some of the other posts that have dealt with playlist issues you'll see that others have posted step by step what they were doing that didn't work. You may want to do that. Sometimes it's a step missed or not done properly that stops you from getting the results you want. Until you post details on what you're doing it's not possible to know where the problem is.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:55 AM

Ok. So the steps are :

1 -Files-> I choose folder -> I Play File -> The file now is playing; P.S. RockBox will create a dinamic playlist for the files in the current folder, right? But this doesnt matter...
2 - Long Select -> Playlist Catalog -> Add tracks to a new Playlist;
3 - Now I name it with Virtual Keyboard, and I call it "example.m3u";
4 - I return to the browser -> Files -> I can see in the bottom example.m3u -> I click on it (select) and the playlist will load (with only one track, added at the step 2);
5 -Now, I repeat the Step 1 (to choose another file to add in example.m3u)
6 - Long Select -> Playlist Catalog -> Add tracks to Playlist;

Now here I'll aspect to see the list of Playlist Catalog (which, for what I see, should be example.m3u and root.m3u, the one create with Playlist->Create Playlist, or just example.m3u) but I see the message No Files.

That's my problem I can't choose the stored playlist (owned from the device) when I try to add new tracks on it...

Hope this is more clear right now

Old 09-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Administrator

What build are you using? If you aren't seeing that playlist in the Playlist Catalogue you're on a old build. You can use the Context menu to cut and paste the ones you make now to the Playlists folder and it will show as a one of the playlists you can add to. Not sure if that's all that,s going on but check that first.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:25 AM

V. 3.9.1, installed trought RockBox Utility (which should download the latest version). Is is old?

Tonight I'll try to cut & paste, now I am a bit busy

Old 09-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Busy here too. One mistake on my part. it's the >|| button that saves on the Fuze. 3.9.1 should save to the Playlists folder then.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:29 PM

Tried your suggestions : if I cut/paste the playlist on Playlist , it works like a charm Anyway, was my fault...because before save it, I deleted /Playlist/ path That's why it doesnt save it to the right way!

So Playlist Catalog is avaiable only on playlist in Playlist folder, nice to know (maybe you should specify it on the manual ).

Thanks again for your time and patience