android
Old 09-23-2011, 12:13 PM

Default D3 power supply US

Hello, first post and I'm sure it's a newbie question but I don't want to risk breaking my new toy. Do I need to use a converter of some type to charge my unit in the US (North Carolina) and also in my car with a DC/AC converter? What about with the usb on my 'puter? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-26-2011, 05:20 AM

Smile Don't know about local power supplies . .

. . .but the USB charger works well on mine here in the UK.

I've also got a 12V plug to USB converter for the car which I haven't tried yet but I have no concerns about using it.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the reply jmangan. USB charger? Is it a different device than what comes with it cause mine doesn't charge through the USB? I should have asked this in the first post, but, when I have the D3 plugged into my DC/AC (120v) converter in my car I get crazy loud buzzing. Should I be using a power upconverter to 220, and would that stop the buzzing. I could just try it but that thing costs $50!!

Old 09-27-2011, 02:38 AM

Unhappy Now out of my depth.

By USB charger I meant the cable that comes with the device (in the UK) that allows you to connect to a PC and transfer files. That cable also supplies current to the D3 to charge up.

I've also got a small device which plugs into the 12V socket in the car and has a USB socket at the other end which I haven't tried yet.

I'm afraid I haven't tried anything with an inverter but it sounds a rather inefficient way of doing things - converting 12V DC to 120V AC to feed a mains charger which then converts it back to DC.

My suspicion is that the noise is coming from the inverter and it should be possible to put some kind of filter in the inverter output to remove any 50/60 Hz hum but that's just my best guess. Sorry.