android
Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 PM

Unhappy Can't Uninstall Rockbox Sansa Clip Zip

Well I tried Rockbox and decided it wasn't for me. I prefer Sansa's interface and it's just more streamlined and suited to my needs than Rockbox is. However, I'm having some big issues uninstalling it now. I did a manual uninstall after the auto uninstaller failed to work, but the bootloaded won't delete itself. I tried to update the firmware (or put the original firmware on, I found conflicting information on which I needed to do) but neither managed to override RB attempting to boot when I turn on the device. Also, the device won't update it's firmware either.

I would honestly just prefer the device to be restored to factory settings even if that meant doing the Clip Zip equivalent of a clean reinstall and losing the files I loaded onto it. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Also just for reference I am on a mac running OSX leopard, and this is a 4gb sansa clip zip. I also have a 16GB micro SD card, but I take it out when I'm attempting to do this firmware stuff like the Sandisk site reccomended.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-16-2012, 09:31 PM

Sounds like you only deleted the .rockbox folder, you have to connect in MSC mode and put a copy of the latest firmware file onto the root of the player, disconnect and allow a fw update. The fw you currently have on there is a patched firmware, so it needs to be replaced by a current version that isn't patched.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 PM

The problem is I've been trying to update the firmware and it's not happening. I've tried a few times in MSC and in autodetect and nada. I'll turn on the player in the original Sandisk boot, plug it in, attempt to add the .bin file, but when I unplug the device I never get the firmware dialog just the usual "updating media" or whatever it is. I'm not sure what else I can do.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayfunke View Post
The problem is I've been trying to update the firmware and it's not happening. I've tried a few times in MSC and in autodetect and nada. I'll turn on the player in the original Sandisk boot, plug it in, attempt to add the .bin file, but when I unplug the device I never get the firmware dialog just the usual "updating media" or whatever it is. I'm not sure what else I can do.
Are you sure that you are loading a fresh version of the fw? I've heard the same story before and later the person found out that he just kept loading a patched version. Download a fresh version and try again is what I would suggest.

Edit: get a current version from here.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...#x4-220002.5.2

Old 04-16-2012, 09:44 PM

Where would I get a completely fresh version? I have the version with .17 at the end, is that it? Also, should I be adding this while it's booted as Rockbox or as the standard Sansa boot?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayfunke View Post
Where would I get a completely fresh version? I have the version with .17 at the end, is that it? Also, should I be adding this while it's booted as Rockbox or as the standard Sansa boot?
click on the "here" in my last post, dl version .20 and try it. (look at the edit I did above)

Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
click on the "here" in my last post, dl version .20 and try it. (look at the edit I did above)
OK well I tried to update to the newest firmware and it still won't work for me. I loaded it up in the original firmware because it won't always recognize the device in Rockbox mode, I added the .bin file, I ejected the decide, and although it "updated my media" it didn't update the firmware. I'm stumped.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 PM

1 are you sure it connected in msc mode?
2 did you load version .20 to the root of the player?
2 after disconnecting from pc did you turn it off and back on?

Aside from those three if you followed the directions correct, I don't know why it's not updating as I've done this a lot and never had a problem.

Edit

Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
1 are you sure it connected in msc mode?
2 did you load version .20 to the root of the player?
2 after disconnecting from pc did you turn it off and back on?

Aside from those three if you followed the directions correct, I don't know why it's not updating as I've done this a lot and never had a problem.

Edit
Well for reference, this is what I'm seeing. The first .bin is the firmware, i'm not sure what the 2nd is. Should I be unzipping the firmware for some reason? Should I be putting it somewhere? Should I be booting in Rockbox?

Also, I attempted to format the disk in hopes that it would fix the problem, but no dice.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Are you sure you have a clip zip?