android
  #1  
Old 04-20-2012, 07:03 PM
coyote2 coyote2 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 23
Default listen while charging w/AC Adapter?

Is it possible to listen to the iAudio 9 while charging it with an AC adapter?

(Unless I'm missing something, I find it is not possible to listen while charging via USB.)
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 04-20-2012, 07:11 PM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

With AC adapter it works fine, you can not via USB because it connects and you'd have to modify a cable so that it wouldn't connect in order to use it that way.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 04-28-2012, 07:08 AM
robdean robdean is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 17
Default

If you connect the supplied USB lead to a cheap mains to USB adapter then you can listen whilst it is charging. You could even connect it to a powered USB hub which is disconnected from its host computer, or whose host computer is switched off.
Mains to USB adapters are very cheap on eBay, and this player has very modest power requirements so pretty much any adapter will be up to the job.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 04-28-2012, 08:27 AM
coyote2 coyote2 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdean View Post
If you connect the supplied USB lead to a cheap mains to USB adapter then you can listen whilst it is charging. You could even connect it to a powered USB hub which is disconnected from its host computer, or whose host computer is switched off.
Mains to USB adapters are very cheap on eBay, and this player has very modest power requirements so pretty much any adapter will be up to the job.
Thank you very much, robdean, that's great to know!

Particularly since when I connected it to my powered USB hub which is disconnected from its host computer, it did not charge. (I guess that particular model hub must de-power when not connected to a computer.)
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 04-28-2012, 05:47 PM
robdean robdean is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 17
Default

My Belkin USB hub is powered (i.e. it has a mains adapter connected directly to it), and it charges my player fine with the lead between the PC and the hub disconnected. I get the impression this is more typical than your experience. It may be worth double checking your hub's power supply, as the hub will just default to an unpowered hub if there is any problem with the power supply, and will still work fine in many everyday situations.

I don't know how common this is, but my Toshiba laptop has a BIOS setting which allows me to leave the USB port power on even when the laptop is shut down: another way to grab USB power without going into sync mode.

By the way, in order to listen whilst charging from any such power source it seems you need to turn on the player before connecting it: otherwise it just boots into charging mode and won't do anything else.

Last edited by robdean; 04-28-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 04-28-2012, 06:24 PM
coyote2 coyote2 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdean View Post
My Belkin USB hub is powered (i.e. it has a mains adapter connected directly to it), and it charges my player fine with the lead between the PC and the hub disconnected. I get the impression this is more typical than your experience. It may be worth double checking your hub's power supply, as the hub will just default to an unpowered hub if there is any problem with the power supply, and will still work fine in many everyday situations.
Good thinking. But I've now tried it with all 3 of my (unfortunately identical) hubs; I guess this model must de-power it's ports when offline.
Quote:
I don't know how common this is, but my Toshiba laptop has a BIOS setting which allows me to leave the USB port power on even when the laptop is shut down: another way to grab USB power without going into sync mode.
I don't recall seeing such a setting in the BIOS of any of my desktops (makes sense that a laptop would have such a setting, but I have none); and their ports aren't sufficiently conveniently located, anyway.
Quote:
By the way, in order to listen whilst charging from any such power source it seems you need to turn on the player before connecting it: otherwise it just boots into charging mode and won't do anything else.
Oh yes, since starting the thread I did acquire an AC Adapter, which I see works that way, so I did think to do that (turn the iAudio 9 on first) before connecting it.

Thank you! I think I'll pick up another model hub at some point.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.