android
Old 05-03-2012, 06:51 PM

Default My Sansa Fuze is on its way :)

So I recently ordered a Sansa Fuze and since I'm new to mp3 players(I have only owned a Philips GoGear Mix 4GB, so I really have no basis for telling how good/bad Fuze compared to other players.) I want any advice you can give me.

I tend to be over protective with my stuff so I will probably be getting a case as soon as I can.

Questions:
-What are some good cases for the fuze?

-Do you recommend Rockboxing it?(If so, does RB improve anything major, such as video quality?)

-Since I've heard that the video isn't that great, can someone compare it to a device I have seen videos on(ipod Nano 5th/4th Gen.). Not that important, but I want to know what to expect.

-How does it hold up against other Sansa devices in audio, video, features, etc...(Clip+, Zip, e200, view, etc...) In what order would you rate them?

-Anything else you think I should know or can expect?

I just ordered it last night via the Sandisk website, I selected "Ground" delivery, anyone know when it MIGHT arrive?
I live in southern California btw.

Last edited by Deity; 05-03-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-03-2012, 11:30 PM

I would recommend rockbox if you plan on playing FLAC files. My Fuze went from 9 hours of FLAC playback to 15 hours of playback after rockbox

Old 05-03-2012, 11:34 PM

Rockbox it,the main advantage of Rockbox is that it improves sound quality by adding tons of new sound settings,and other goodies.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:53 AM
Administrator

There's several cases available on Amazon. The crystal case works well and doesn't add the bulk the silicon cases do. You can usually find a decent accessory kit for $8-$10 that has a charger and a additional cable along with a case. An extra cable is always a good idea. The Sandisk cable is proprietary and if something happens to the one that comes with the player you're screwed until you get another one.

I'd have a generic screen protector ready to put on it while you wait for the case. The screen plastic takes scratches easily even if you're very careful.

Rockbox doesn't improve video quality. You can get a copy of WinFF to convert your videos for Rockbox. Use the Sandisk E200 preset. The screen is the same size so that preset works.

If you decide to stay with the sandisk firmware I'd get a copy of video4fuze for conversion. The official SMC converter is beyond bad. It usually doubles the size of the files and loses audio/video sync a few minutes into video playback. That's if it works at all. It frequently doesn't.

I won't try to do a comparison to other Sansa players video. I never watched enough on any of them to give a good opinion except to say they're not horrible, just not what I'd watch for more than a few minutes at a time. Some of that is due to the small screen size, some of that is due to my eyes being older.

On the audio side the Fuze matches up with some of the best around. The base sound quality is the same in Rockbox and the sandisk firmware but the 5 band parametric equalizer is much better than the equalizer in the OF. You can give the compressor and crossfeed a try in Rockbox also. I'll use the compressor to boost perceived volume in noisy situations but I'm not fond of what it does for quiet listening. As compressors go I'd say it's one of the better ones I've heard but they all cut frequencies to give the effect they do. That can take away some of what makes some of my favorites sound as good as I think they can. YMMV.

If you are thinking about Rockbox I'd check the link in my sig for more info about Rockbox in general. If you want to get the most from Rockbox I'd read the manual at least through Browsing and Playing. There's things you'll find probably find difficult to use to their best advantage if you don't.

Checking the AMSv2 port page wold also be a good idea. Taking a look at there it seems just about all the known issues have been fixed but it won't hurt to take a look there.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:46 PM

Too many lurkers in here XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
There's several cases available on Amazon. The crystal case works well and doesn't add the bulk the silicon cases do. You can usually find a decent accessory kit for $8-$10 that has a charger and a additional cable along with a case. An extra cable is always a good idea. The Sandisk cable is proprietary and if something happens to the one that comes with the player you're screwed until you get another one.

I'd have a generic screen protector ready to put on it while you wait for the case. The screen plastic takes scratches easily even if you're very careful.

Rockbox doesn't improve video quality. You can get a copy of WinFF to convert your videos for Rockbox. Use the Sandisk E200 preset. The screen is the same size so that preset works.

If you decide to stay with the sandisk firmware I'd get a copy of video4fuze for conversion. The official SMC converter is beyond bad. It usually doubles the size of the files and loses audio/video sync a few minutes into video playback. That's if it works at all. It frequently doesn't.

I won't try to do a comparison to other Sansa players video. I never watched enough on any of them to give a good opinion except to say they're not horrible, just not what I'd watch for more than a few minutes at a time. Some of that is due to the small screen size, some of that is due to my eyes being older.

On the audio side the Fuze matches up with some of the best around. The base sound quality is the same in Rockbox and the sandisk firmware but the 5 band parametric equalizer is much better than the equalizer in the OF. You can give the compressor and crossfeed a try in Rockbox also. I'll use the compressor to boost perceived volume in noisy situations but I'm not fond of what it does for quiet listening. As compressors go I'd say it's one of the better ones I've heard but they all cut frequencies to give the effect they do. That can take away some of what makes some of my favorites sound as good as I think they can. YMMV.

If you are thinking about Rockbox I'd check the link in my sig for more info about Rockbox in general. If you want to get the most from Rockbox I'd read the manual at least through Browsing and Playing. There's things you'll find probably find difficult to use to their best advantage if you don't.

Checking the AMSv2 port page wold also be a good idea. Taking a look at there it seems just about all the known issues have been fixed but it won't hurt to take a look there.

This information will prove useful.

Also, AMSv2=???

Old 05-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Perhaps I should have linked to the Rockbox SanDisk Sansa AMS Port Page. Googling AMSv2 takes you to the same place. Searching this subforum will probably be a good idea if you need more details.

I'd guess instead of lurking a lack of knowledge or interest, especially on the video side, may be responsible for you not getting many answers. The Fuze never reached the level of popularity here that the E2xx or Clip series did. Considering it's been discontinued for a couple of years it's likely most that would be familiar with it have moved on to other players.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Perhaps I should have linked to the Rockbox SanDisk Sansa AMS Port Page. Googling AMSv2 takes you to the same place. Searching this subforum will probably be a good idea if you need more details.

I'd guess instead of lurking a lack of knowledge or interest, especially on the video side, may be responsible for you not getting many answers. The Fuze never reached the level of popularity here that the E2xx or Clip series did. Considering it's been discontinued for a couple of years it's likely most that would be familiar with it have moved on to other players.
Should I rockbox it at arrival, or would I need to put in all my music in again after RB?
I've been reading threads on USB and V1/v2, I'm guessing that jsut means dragging and dropping content? or am i wrong?

I will probably be getting V2 since I ordered it from the Sandisk website.

Also, once I install RB will I need to install anything else? I've read you need plugins for things such as Doom and other rb programs.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

First thing to do with any Sansa player is to change the USB setting from Autodetect (aka Autodefect) to either MSC or MTP. If you know that you're going with Rockbox (or are pretty sure), then you should choose MSC. Then you shouldn't have to re-copy any music files.

Steve

Old 05-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Deity:

I don't about installing Rockbox, but before you do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
First thing to do with any Sansa player is to change the USB setting from Autodetect (aka Autodefect) to either MSC or MTP. If you know that you're going with Rockbox (or are pretty sure), then you should choose MSC.

Steve

Old 05-10-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Deity:

I don't about installing Rockbox, but before you do that
Already took that advice into effect, first thing I did when I turned it on just in case I forgot later on.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deity View Post
Should I rockbox it at arrival, or would I need to put in all my music in again after RB?
I've been reading threads on USB and V1/v2, I'm guessing that jsut means dragging and dropping content? or am i wrong?

I will probably be getting V2 since I ordered it from the Sandisk website.
If you've ordered it from SanDisk (or anywhere else, really) and it's not an older refurbished player, then it's a Fuze+, not a Fuze v1 or Fuze v2. Easy to tell. If it has the touch sensitive pad instead of a wheel, then it's a Fuze+.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
If you've ordered it from SanDisk (or anywhere else, really) and it's not an older refurbished player, then it's a Fuze+, not a Fuze v1 or Fuze v2. Easy to tell. If it has the touch sensitive pad instead of a wheel, then it's a Fuze+.

They are still selling the original Fuze

http://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdisku...ctID.247334600

Old 05-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
They're aware of the difference between the two. They ordered the original model to exchange for the Fuze+ they received as a birthday present.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=69145

Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
They're aware of the difference between the two. They ordered the original model to exchange for the Fuze+ they received as a birthday present.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=69145
Finally arrived and I decided to go with RB first.

Now, just to be clear, I've read all I could find about RB and just want to make sure I get this 100% correct.

1. So I Download RB Utility,
2. then the current build(http://build.rockbox.org/) which contains the ".rockbox" folder.
3. The I open RB Utility, choose SANSA FUZE drive, select Sansa Fuze V2 from the list,
4. then "Complete Installation"?

Or if I want a custom theme(http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=sansafuzev2) I select one from that page instead of the one from step 2 above?
OR I just go to "Extras" tab in RB Utility, select "Install themes"?

Old 05-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Administrator

I recommend you experience it a bit with the sandisk firmware. If nothing else you'll have a chance to compare the two without having to dual boot. Many have found the sandisk firmware meets their needs without the more involved setup needed to have Rockbox fulfill it's potential. As always that's a personal choice so do what makes you most comfortable.

If you load your music in MSC USB mode there's no need to load it again after you install Rockbox. If you load it in the default autodefect or MTP mode you would have to reload it to have the Rockbox file browser see it. The Rockbox database would find the files but limiting yourself that way would take away several of the advantages that Rockbox offers.

Once the player is in MSC mode the recommended way to install Rockbox is with the automated installer. The plugins are part of the base installation but The Rockbox Utility, the automated installer, will download and install a basic Doom wad. You'll find that option in the Extras tab during installation.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Administrator

All you should need to download is the Rockbox Utility. There has been a lot of work put into making sure it works properly. Part of what it does is fetch the other files you need. That includes any extras like fonts or themes. I became accustomed to manual installation when the installer wasn't up to speed in the past but when I've tested it recently it's worked very well. I'd used it if I were at all uncertain about installation. It's the recommended installation method for good reason.

Strictly speaking you have to download the copy of the sandisk firmware needed for patching for legal reason but the Rockbox Utility provides a link for that. You could just get a copy from here and save it somewhere beside the player and point the installer at it when it's asked for.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
All you should need to download is the Rockbox Utility. There has been a lot of work put into making sure it works properly. Part of what it does is fetch the other files you need. That includes any extras like fonts or themes. I became accustomed to manual installation when the installer wasn't up to speed in the past but when I've tested it recently it's worked very well. I'd used it if I were at all uncertain about installation. It's the recommended installation method for good reason.

Strictly speaking you have to download the copy of the sandisk firmware needed for patching for legal reason but the Rockbox Utility provides a link for that. You could just get a copy from here and save it somewhere beside the player and point the installer at it when it's asked for.

Sounds simple enough.

And as for custom themes I install rockbox then go to RB Utility and select themes?

NVM, I'm such a newb :P

Old 05-10-2012, 10:31 PM

Hmmm...

Installation finished I clicked Ok, then disconnected it, and nothing. Still the same.

When I go to photos it shows me some RB related photos, like logos, backgrounds, etc...
Also, the .rockbox folder is in the drive when I go to it.

Last edited by Deity; 05-10-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Administrator

If you're booting to the sandisk firmware and there hasn't been a firmware update then the Rockbox bootloader hasn't been installed. Did you supply a unpatched copy of the firmware for the automated installer to patch during the installation process?

Old 05-10-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
If you're booting to the sandisk firmware and there hasn't been a firmware update then the Rockbox bootloader hasn't been installed. Did you supply a unpatched copy of the firmware for the automated installer to patch during the installation process?
I went to the link you posted in post #16 and went down to V2, downloaded "All regions", it was a .bin file, and I used that whenever it asked me for it.

Ok, this is what I do, step by step:
1. Turn off my fuze
2. Connect it to the PC
3. Open up RB Utility
4. Under "Quick Start" tab I choose "Complete Installation"
5. I select the file I downloaded when it asks for it
6. I choose a theme
7. I click "Ok" when done
8. I eject my fuze
9. Wait for it to update
10. I power it off and then back on.
11. It starts up with the OF

Last edited by Deity; 05-10-2012 at 11:38 PM.