android
Old 09-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Samsung Moderator

Default Review Samsung YP-W1 (S Pebble or Muse)

Hey guys,

I reviewed the new YP-W1 (S Pebble) for the French website GMP3 (generationmp3).
I don't think I will translate it into English for ABI as that's the kind of DAP almost nobody is interested in here (tell me if I'm wrong) so I just provide here the original link and the google translation link. Enjoy

Review in French
Review in English

The S Pebble has only been released in Germany, Italy & UK yet.
I don't know if it will be released in the US.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Administrator

I haven't laughed that hard about a DAPs lack of features in a long time. I had a vision of someone at Samsung saying "No folder advance on this one. That will help them exercise their fingers." I can't think of any other reason you would have a player at this capacity with no folder advance.

Some type of voice over at would help. Hmm, maybe voice over is patented by Apple? Wouldn't want another lawsuit.

The USB host feature is kind of interesting. I can't think of any situations where I would use it now. If I wanted to make an on the go change and spare my more expensive phone some wear and tear during a workout it might come in handy.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I haven't laughed that hard about a DAPs lack of features in a long time. I had a vision of someone at Samsung saying "No folder advance on this one. That will help them exercise their fingers." I can't think of any other reason you would have a player at this capacity with no folder advance.
I can't understand this choice either, but I remember that the Cowon E2 was also released without "skip by folder" feature and after Cowon read the ABI review, they added that feature via a new firmware!
The thing is that contrary to Cowon, Samsung never add new features with firmwares, firmwares are only there to fix bugs. I'll send the improvement suggestion to the R&D though, one never knows...

Quote:
Some type of voice over at would help. Hmm, maybe voice over is patented by Apple? Wouldn't want another lawsuit.
lol

Quote:
The USB host feature is kind of interesting. I can't think of any situations where I would use it now. If I wanted to make an on the go change and spare my more expensive phone some wear and tear during a workout it might come in handy.
I find USB-Host cool and fun but that's just a gadget in the end. I used it 4x for the review and will probably won't use it again until long time.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:38 PM

I want one! lol

Is out of stock in amazon.com

But, it work without S III right?

Old 10-13-2012, 04:47 AM
Samsung Moderator

Of course it does.
Look at the review! Even if you don't speak French there are enough pictures to understand how it works

Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM

Lebellium, forgot to tell you I like the review & pics, nice job While I find the look very cool it's not for me per our irc discussion

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Samsung Moderator

I'm a bit surprised but it seems that the YP-W1 will finally reach the US market!

The product page is ready: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...s/YP-W1NAL/STA
While it is called "S Pebble" in the other countries, Samsung decided to rename it "Muse" for the US market. A strange decision since "Muse" is also the friendly name of Philips DAP SA3MUSXXS...

You can also notice it is considered as a "cell-phone accessory" on Samsung US website while in most other countries it is sold as a normal MP3 player.

Moreover, Samsung US provides a free dedicated app "Muse Sync" on the store https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...usesync#?t=W10
This app only works with Galaxy S3 and Note2 unfortunately, I can't install it on my Galaxy S2. That said, I'm not sure it's really worth it. I personally like copy&paste transfers, no need for a sync software.

The version sold in the USA should be the latest revision with touch keys a bit redesigned (bottom) compared to my early version (top):

Available in Pebble Blue et Marble White colors for $49,99.

Conclusion: Really different marketing strategy for the US but still the same product

Last edited by lebellium; 12-05-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 PM

Hi!
I got one, it had problems connecting with S3 solved just now with the last firm 1.09. It could be useful to have the firm installer also for this model to solve the known connections problems. I guess is useful fot hose who have also the phone, i paid 20 euros for it, not so much

Old 05-14-2013, 04:42 PM

Awesome man. I'll try this and let you know my outcome. Also what do you mean by play and pause mode?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Samsung Moderator

I mean music playback: pause or play.
The touch key in the middle is play/pause.
If you hear button presses when touching previous/next or volume up/down that means your music is on pause so of course you don't hear it. I hope you don't mix up "nothing plays" with "pause", which is normal behavior

Last edited by lebellium; 05-14-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:07 PM

Ok, so I upgraded the firmware and it did the trick. Thank's a lot for all your help. I was actually trying to use the Muonizer.exe file to upgrade to 1.11 but I couldn't figure out how to get the Start button to change from red. Life saver man. I appreciate it.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfidelisrp View Post
Life saver man.
I just remind you we are talking about a $50 device
but you're welcome

Although the W1 release has been covered by many media because at the time it was announced along with the Galaxy S3 as an accessory, it seems to me that it doesn't really sell well and it's pretty rare to see a new user here.

Last edited by lebellium; 05-14-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:41 PM

Yeah, I know, but I hate to waste money and I was determined to get it working. Thanks again.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:25 PM

Thank you, so just putting the rom file in none of them (folder).

Old 06-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Samsung Moderator

Exactly

Old 06-03-2013, 04:43 AM

Just to let you know, about the flash, no way for me to put the pebble in recovery mode: the start button remains red.
What does the hidden open button make?

Old 06-03-2013, 05:09 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibetto View Post
Just to let you know, about the flash, no way for me to put the pebble in recovery mode: the start button remains red.
You're not good enough man, try again Well, that's not a game, please only try it if your W1 is bricked. If it works you don't need flashing it.

You need perfect timing for that. You have to press reset and connect the USB cable exactly at the same time. The best is to ask someone to help you for that. If you're alone, you can do it like me:

I put sticky tape to try keeping the clip open. Then with the left hand press reset with the paper clip and at the same time insert the USB cable into the computer with the right hand.

Oh and you probably need Kies installed on your computer for the recovery drivers.

Quote:
What does the hidden open button make?
It opens an hidden partition (still not the real system partition though^^). There is nothing interesting for you there.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:42 AM

ah ah really ingenious!!!
Thanks for all your efforts, it's allright, I'll try not!

Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Samsung Moderator

For those who are interested by the Muse Sync app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...usesync#?t=W10) and who can't download it from Google Play because they are not located in the USA and/or don't have a Galaxy S3 or Note2, I eventually found out the apk here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2311545

Download link: http://db.tt/yg8m73Vy
(if the link gets down, you can download it in attachment too)

It's the latest version 0.8 developed by Electric Pocket for Samsung (http://epckt.com).

It works fine on my Galaxy S2
Attached Files
File Type: apk com.samsung.musesync-1.apk (654.5 KB, 11 views)

Tags
muse, review, s pebble, samsung, w1, yp-w1