android
Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 AM

Default SGP 5.0 and Streaming to Roku or ATV?

I would like to stream music from my SGP 5 to my Roku 2 XD and to the Apple tv V3 (it was a present from an apple junkie....). Anyway, I see Roku has a stream option in their new Android apllication. Anyone use it before? Also, what works to stream music to Apple Tv via airplay? Looks like there is an Apple TV media app or imediashare, anyone use those with the SGP?

Any assistance is appreciated! Love the forum.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 AM

Has anyone used the SGP 5 to stream audio (other than bluetooth) to a home stereo system?

Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 PM

not sure if this will do what you want but maybe http://www.androidcentral.com/roku-m...ndroid-devices

Old 11-21-2012, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the reply Daniel. Yes, that is the application I was referring to. I was just wondering if anyone has used it, if so, did they like it?

Good video at that link, thanks!

Old 11-21-2012, 02:58 PM

never owned either device myself, I think the Roku is pointless since I can stream my netflix from my wii (and the price difference is not much, between the devices) plus I still have my old desktop setup to my TV so I can fire it up if I want to stream anything from my laptop, or all my music is backed up on an external hard drive so I could just connect that to the desktop.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:36 PM

It's great if your Wii and HTPC setup do what you need, but while the roku and its ilk may be pointless perhaps to some, these diminutive set top content streamers are not pointless if one wants more than just netflix (amazon prime, for example or "play on" a dlna compliant media server app that scrapes video content from several media related websites such as hulu) and if you want content streamed in HD which the wii can't do and without having to bother with maintaining a full blown htpc setup. Plus the roku and other similar sff streaming boxes are very portable and can be used more easily on the go (married to a SGP or tablet and possibly even a pico projector) than lugging a wii or even a laptop. Not trying to start a debate, just pointing out why some might not see the roku as "pointless" compared to a wii or HTPC. Obviously, not trying to sway you from what works for you, but the content streaming world and the associated set top boxes and TV's, DVD players, A/V receivers and gaming devices with the capability built in are really a rapidly evolving technology area and has moved well beyond netflix on the wii and are less cumbersome and complex and are almost as flexible as htpc's.

As far as the OP - I am planning to experiment with streaming content from my SGP and also my Galaxy Tab to the roku and will report back with my results. Thanks for listening.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:33 AM

vferrari, as you state so diplomatically, everyone's situations and needs are different. But as electronic devices continue to converge, and prices continue to plummet, "stand alone" devices may not be the most cost effective solution.

A Samsung Blue Ray DVD player with FULL internet browser can be had for $99 USD, or less. An inexpensive lap top with wifi/B T and HD HDMI out might be a good solution.

BTW, I have a Netflix subscription, and I usually stream content with a Wii console. I also have an Acer Aspire 1410 notebook. Out of curiosity, I streamed the Netflix content through my Acer instead of the Wii. There was a very noticable improvement in video quality when streaming through the Acer.