android
Old 03-03-2013, 03:23 PM

Default re: battery replacement alternative

I am a little intimidated by replaceing the battery on the V2. i have heard people having issues, plus i have dropped mine several times, cracking the case, and had to epoxy it together.

I was wondering if hooking up a 3 NIMH AA to USB battery pack (or 4 NIMH with one dummy battery) is a good idea or has worked for anyone? I don't know if the current draw in amps will default to the maximum of USB with is about 500ma, or if it will draw what it needs, which would mean awesome battery life.

anyone's input would help solve a problem fuze owners are about to run into, or some may already have

-g

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Administrator

You shouldn't have to do anything but get a portable USB charger and use it normally for it to work as a battery replacement. It's what a couple I know have done once their sansa player batteries stopped holding a charge.

They use a Duracell charger with a built in lithium battery they picked up for around $15. I see a number of other makers and different models that offer essentially the same thing. The voltage is regulated so there's no need for dummy batteries. If you use the required number and things should just work.

I wouldn't open a Fuze. At one point you are working throgh a opening a fraction of an inch wide as you try to reconnect the very brittle cable back in place and close the tab to lock it down. I've done it 3 times and was only able to put one back together and not damage the ribbon cable. It was frustrating to the point that I won't be trying it again.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:29 PM

the only thing i don't like about that idea is the lithium batteries only last 3 or so years. Do you know of any NIMH portable USB chargers?

Old 03-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Considering the build quality of the Fuze I'd think that expecting one to last another 3 years in continuous use is optimistic. However, there are USB chargers that work with NiMH and other rechargeable batteries.

Here's one that's been mentioned here before http://www.amazon.com/Tekkeon-MP1580.../dp/B006FXUS1C. As I look at Amazon and google further I see others you might find interesting.

Sorry, I have no idea the quality or features of any particular one. I've gotten rid of DAPs with non-replacable batteries before I needed to put them on an external charger.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 AM

I use this one:

http://dx.com/p/2-aa-powered-usb-eme...ne-2g-3g-30251

It's dirt cheap and I probably get a charge and a half out of 2 AA eneloops.