android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2007, 04:30 PM

Hi, I'm experiencing the "screen dead - flashing buttons" issue with my zen V plus 8 Gb.

It happened I was listening to some music when an alert prompted on zen display: battery was too low, then it shut off.

When I went home I plugged the device to the wrong USB cable, since my laptop does not support USB 2.0 I use a belkin PCMCIA USB 2.0 card, i can dock the player there but not to recharge.

After a while an XP alert prompted saying a STM3600 usb device has been plugged and asking me to install the drivers. I didn't bother at all, after all XP has the annoying tendence to pop unwanted alert / info messages now and then.

Later on I recognized I should have bothered, instead... my zen V was totally dead!

I tried plugging it to the right USB 1.0 cable, but no joy: screen stands black, wp "new device found" alert kept prompting.

I googled this isuue and find out that for the PC-ZEN "handshake" to happen, thus for the player to recognize and accept external plugging, some battery is needed.

So what did happen?

Battery ran very low, then i docked the player to PC with the wrong plug since the battery completely expired, after then in the next USB port cyclic redundancy check XP recognized a mere device attached to that port, hence the alert asking for the driver.

What I did?

Since no battery at all = non handshake = no charge via PC I bought a 40 euros creative USB wall charger, plugged and seen the "behind the buttons flashes" but the screen is still black.

On this thread I found out that the flashes are some kind of morse-code for debugging purpouse, and it seems they mean "very low battery" so I'm going for the "loner solution" leaving it plugged and going to have a beer out in the hope that while I'm back it will be working fine!

Otherwise I'll assume it just went burnt or something...

I'll share here what happens next!