android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen V

Old 12-25-2006, 12:49 AM

Default Cure for USB issues (was: Media Explorer hangs during transfers)

I drag and drop my music files on to my Zen V Plus using Creative's Media Explorer. Tonight when I tried to transfer files, it wouldn't do it. My computer recognizes the player, and I can see all of the files in Media Explorer. But when I try to transfer files, the program hangs. The file transfer icon keeps moving, but the green status bar is stuck, and the program never gets past the first file. Clicking the cancel button doesn't do anything, and the only way I can get out of the program is to end it using MS Task Manager. I've already uninstalled and reinstalled Media Explorer thinking that was the problem, but now I'm wondering if the player itself is the problem. Any ideas?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-25-2006, 01:25 AM

It seems that Zencast can't transfer files to my Zen V, either. Same with Windows Explorer. I haven't tried Media Source, but I suspect I'll get the same result.

Looking at my player in Windows Explorer, it appears that a directory is created, but that's as far as it gets.

I wonder if this is some sort of weird MTP problem. So until I figure it out or get it fixed, the music that's currently on my player is the only music I'll be listening to.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:05 AM

My fun with Creative products continues. I bought my wife a 2G Zen V Plus for Christmas. Our computer, which now only occasionally recognizes my ZVP but refuses to sync with it, will not recognize her player at all. I can't even install the firmware update. And yes, it's fully charged, and, no, I don't use WMP 11. I read about this kind of stuff all the time on forums, but I figured it was something that only happened to other people. When it happens to you, it suddenly becomes painfully clear why iPod/iTunes have 90% of the DAP market and folks like Creative are bit players.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:42 AM

Problem solved. I saw an earlier post in this forum about VIA USB drivers being incompatible with the Zen players. I remembered then that I'd switched to a different USB port last week. I switched back to my original USB port, and now no more problems. All my USB ports have VIA drivers, but one of them has slightly different driver that doesn't get along with my ZVP.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've got Via chipsets in two of my three computers (the third is SiS -- Yes, I'm an AMD girl ) and haven't had any issues; but I think I've just been lucky. Via makes some good chipsets, but they tend to be tweaked a bit for power users, which tends to create compatibility issues.

If you have a computer with VIA USB controllers (and a few certain SiS 9001/9002 controllers) that just absolutely, positively will not work with your DAP, then consider getting a PCI USB controller card. They're relatively cheap (about $20-$30) and easy to install. Some of them even have a header on the card to allow you to plug your case-front USB port into the card. This may solve your problem.

I'm going to sticky this, because I think this will help a lot of people.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:32 AM

I am still looking for this cure. I have this exact problem.

Do I understand correctly: to get my brand new Creative Zan V Plus to actually play something other than what came on the unit, I need to get NEW USB Hardware for my computer?

How do I tell if I have Via chipset? The computer I am trying to use is a Dell 8100 PC I bought about 4 years ago (getting kinda old at this point). The particular USB port I am trying to use is a PCI card that I purchased separately for the USB 2.0 functionality (the computer originally had USB 1.0 ports built in).

Old 02-09-2007, 10:37 AM

OK, I tried a different USB port. One of the old USB 1 ports. The transfer is working without any other change. The evidence is clear, the Zen works with some ports and not others.

By the way, I downloaded and installed the latest firmware last night.

You think there is any chance that Creative might fix that incompatibility?

Old 04-21-2007, 01:27 AM

It would be nice, but likely Creative figures that quirk belongs to the USB realm. In fact, a lot of slightly older computers have USB 1 slots at the front and USB 2 at the back. Because printers are often quite happy with USB 1, a lot of people have taken their USB slots for granted for years.

Then, with the purchase of a USB stick or an mp3 recorder/player, they run smack into the world of USBs. Best idea is to Google to that world and spend a day or two learning about USB. There are lots of interesting revelations there, such as the slow speed of file transfer—and how it is that your USB 2.0 device actually works SO much more slowly than USB 2.0 itself can deliver.

Right away you discover that a hungry USB stick will not simply "work faster" on USB 2.0. It will work so much faster that USB 1.0 is bordering on the impossible. You don't have to take a jet to get to the other side of the continent; you can always walk. USB 2.0 is "faster" somewhat similarly, even though your USB device will actually transfer files at a smidgen of the high-speed rate potential.

Some of these devices say they'll work with either USB 1.0 or 2.0. Well, printers often do. But then there has to be some other reason for the freeze-outs, which sure look like memory overload freezes. I've seen nothing about these freezes occuring on USB 1 versus USB 2, but I have to wonder. Furthermore, a lot of folk are definitely going to be using 1.0 when they think they're using 2.0, or vice-versa. The lady was correct in suggesting the installation of a card might do the trick. Well, it would do the trick, but only sometimes would it be absolutely necessary.

I say that because likely the USB snag is, er, uh, closely affiliated with the user's, ah, level of familiarity with the USB environment on his machine. It is not exactly what is missing in the machine that is the problem, so much as what is missing to the north of one's eyeballs.

Your hardware device manager in XP will list all your USB ports for you, but it's not quite that easy. The ports themselves are logical devices which are not exactly the same as your USB plug-ins. You may be quite astonished to see what XP claims is available, and it may not make sense to you at first. Also you'll quickly realize that some USB devices have much bigger appetites than others. If you start changing your printers et al around, be forewarned that a few minutes' easy changes can become a few hours of frustration—just speed slowly, and you'll be okay. Don't change anything unless you have a very clear idea of why this change will improve things.

I came within a hair of buying a very nice Creative Zen V+, but I just wanted to read a bit first. After looking through every single post in the long, long thread at the end of Graham Skee's review, I changed my mind.

Creative does not openly discuss "solved issues"—at least I didn't see what I was looking for when I went through their downloadable firmware—did I overlook statements by Creative Zen, explaining just what problems used to occur, and how and why they won't occur again? Even M$ admits its own weaknesses when it offers patches.

That, and the battery being an integral component of the unit, nudged me back to my old microcassette standby. I want a digital recorder, but I'll just keep looking.

Last edited by Grongle; 04-21-2007 at 02:04 AM.