android
Old 04-28-2007, 11:24 AM

Default 15 hours of autonomy??

Hello, everybody, I'm new to this forum and site, and I'd be very much obliged if anyone could help me with the following:

I've recently acquired a Zen V Plus 2GB. After unpacking and installing software, I meticulously followed the manual's instructions referring to battery charging: I plugged it to one of the USB ports at the back of my computer, with the intention of letting it there for the 6 prescribed hours. Shortly after the 4th hour of charging (with the player still in the OFF position), the "FULL CHARGE" icon was there already.

I unplugged it, and proceeded to use it normally (not very loud volumes, nor continous playing of videos, or the highest screen contrast nor long display time), but it didn't approach the announced 15 hours of autonomy by a long shot, it was more like 7. Is there any possible solution to this, or something that I might be doing wrong? Maybe "just" a deffective battery?

Thanks a lot everybody for the attention,

R

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The "advertised" battery rate is generally defined by running the lowest possible loads on the device - namely low-bitrate MP3's, no equalization, no backlight, and so on. It's very rare to achieve advertised battery times through normal, real-word usage, unless the marketing guys were actually being realistic. Such is the case with the ZVM, which actually exceeds its advertised rate... But I digress.

Seven hours does not sound normal for your player; however, it's possible that the battery just needs to be "broken in".

My recommendation is this: If you can, get some new headphones that have high sensitivity (at least 103dB). They'll save a bit on the battery by allowing you to lower the volume without sacrificing loudness - and they'll probably sound better than the stock buds as well. Employ any other power-saving technique you desire, but don't sacrifice sound quality or ease of use in the effort to maximize battery life. I'm pretty sure your battery life will improve within a few charge cycles.

It's important to note that WMA files are notoriously hard on battery life, as these things require a lot of processor power to decode. If you have a library that is mainly WMA files as opposed to MP3, then the lower battery life is normal and is to be expected. However, I do NOT recommend transcoding your WMA's to MP3, as you will lose a lot of sound quality in the process.

Best of luck!

Old 04-28-2007, 12:39 PM

also, using the "smart volume" feature will drain the battery faster(about 25-30% faster from my experience). mine lasts about 11 hours but i've only charged it twice since i bought it so i'll keep using it and see how it goes.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:57 PM

Yes, I was aware that reaching the advertised 15 hours was surely a bit too much optimism on my part, but I don't want to settle for this drastic reduction either (I'm testing my second cycle now, and it looks that it will drain even before the seven mark that had me worried before).

As for my collection, it has its share of .wmas but it is mainly comprised of .mp3s (some of them with high bitrates, true, which I know lower battery performance as well).

As for "goodies", as I said, I really don't think I'm abusing them: 70-80% screen contrast (any lower than that and I couldn't see a thing), a bit of EQ, no "Smart Volume" at all, and that's it. Besides, if you can't use them because they drink all your juice, what's the point of having them?

You have a good point about the earphones, I'll look into it, but first I have to make sure that I can reach at least 10 hours of normal use (a reasonable amount in my opinion), which I think I'll know after a few more cycles as you suggest. If not, I think a replacement should be in order.

Also, do you know if there's any difference between recharging through USB and wall adapter (which would be an extra expense and some more bills that I would have to fork over to Creative for their AC/DC, since there seems to be some troubles with non-proprietary devices...) in terms of performance?

Thank you both once again,

R

Old 04-30-2007, 06:19 AM

The other possibility is that when the instructions said charge it for 6 hours, they really meant charge it for 6 hours, not charge it until it says it is full.

Some of the battery fullness inidcator systems work by remembering the maximum battery voltage they have seen (recently, above some threshold) and call that 100%. So when you charge it for the first time, it will think it is full as soon as it passes the threshold, but it isn't really full yet.

The other point is that the 0% (empty) point is set in a similar way, so the best thing to do on new rechargable batteries is to charge them as instructed, or until they start to get warm (which happens because the energy you are putting in cannot be stored chemically, so becomes heat), then run them all the way down until the device shuts itself off. Then fully charge again, etc etc.

Do this 3-4 times and the battery and the monitioring system will be fully conditioned and set up, and it will be much happier for you to use it halfway, then charge it, then use it all up, and half charge it and so on.

Hope that helps.

Richard

Old 04-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Banned

...also, i dont know if this applies to you...
...but recording voice, or line-in...
...will eat up power...
...but it does need to be broken in...
...give it time...

Old 05-02-2007, 01:43 PM

I have been away for a couple of days and I haven't had the chance to keep testing, but this couple of pieces of advice seems very reasonable. I have received some assistance from Creative's consumer support that I'll be resorting to if needed. I'll keep you posted in case it may help someone else with the same problem.

Thanks!

R

Old 05-06-2007, 12:02 PM

Thumbs up

Ok, a couple or so of intensive recharge cycles after, and the battery autonomy has kept on improving. It amply reached 14 hours on the last one. So it seems this was just a hard case of impatience on my part, as some of you very kindly and subtly hinted, for which I thank you so much.

Cheers!

Old 05-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Glad you got it working!