android
Old 02-08-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Organizing files and folders

Well, I am bout to purchase an X5 - 60 GB to put FLAC files there and I will start ripping discs soon.

I need to stay organized and this does not seem to be so easy in Jazz and Classical music.

I initially set up to organize my music folder is like :

## below is Track nr.

Artist \
(Year) Album \
Artist - (Year) Album - ## - Track name

This is what I decided for mp3 files. It ensures everything is organized in a folder structure but in case files is taken somewhere individually, it is still possible to identify artist year and album very easily, without caring the tags.

But it seems that a long file name with redundant info will be impossible to show on the X5 screen.

Question #1
Should I truncate them so only track nr and name is all left there?

Question #2
It seems adding a Genre folder on top will be a wise move. But Genres are too vast and I may need SubGenres or Styles, how one should do it? I have decided to make multiple folders with some subtle variations for the main genres I am interested to and keep others as a generalization such as :

Jazz (Fusion)
Jazz (Big Band)
Jazz (Progressive)
Jazz (Dixieland)
Ambient (Dark)
Ambient (Tribal)
Rock
Classical
Blues

Is this the way to go? This is very difficult for some tracks that may fall under more than one "genre".

Question #3
Some albums has two or more artists. Especially in Jazz. Some has an artist and a collaborator like Danca Das Cabezas of Egberto Gismonti. Well Na na Vasconcelos is equally important in this album so I want to attribute the album to him as well. In this case I change artist name so it shows both. And then there are many discs performed by an ensemble of four or more players without branding themselves as a group. Now how to name the artist folder. If one performer is very prominent I can name it for him/her but even in this case I hate excluding others; and think when not one but all are equally the star of the album?!

I can not write down 6 peoples names as artist. Even if I can then I would like to be able to sort all by one artist only (not by the first character of the folder). Well I guess only Rockbox can help me on this but I think not too much.

Well, please guide me so that I can start organized and stay organized with little trade-off.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No worries, you can do whatever you want. It's no annoying MTP device after all. You can choose the layout how to organize your music, it's not the player that decides for you.

I find it convenient naming the files short: "Track# - Title.mp3", without "Artist" and "Album" - so you don't need to wait till the whole title scrolls by.

Complex folder structures are no problem at all. An example from my X5:

../Audio/Rock/Mathcore/The Dillinger Escape Plan - Irony Is A Dead Scene (2002)/02 - Pig Latin.mp3

or

../Audio/Audio Books/Adams, Douglas - The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (BBC, 1978)/The Primary Phase/CD 2 - Fit the Third, Fit the Fourth/211 - An Important And Popular Fact.mp3

It all works well, but keeping the track titles short may be convenient if you're looking for a track by name.

I especially like sorting my music by genre, because the X5 has some very ingenious shuffle modes: whole disk / folder / folder + subfolders. So I don't need the hassle of playlists, I just shuffle by genre - or the whole disk, if I feel like it.

For your question #3: Name the folder whatever you want, you can add the names of all people involved in the record in the ID3v2 tags, so they're shown on the "now playing" (main) screen. (Just a suggestion.)

Old 02-10-2007, 08:21 AM

First of all I am sorry that I posted this in the wrong section of the forum. Anyway thanks for moving it here.

I appreciate your help. Thank you very much. I think I may need to revert back to my old naming "track nr(##) - track name.flac" as you suggested. In computer I was just happy to see all info at once (which is also possible in fact with tags shown on the explorer. Both options are not suitable for small screen player. Anyway the random play function using folders and subs is excellent. I will indeed organize it by genres. I will also install Rockbox withdual boot option since some features coming with it is excellent (like gapless)

So once again I see that X5 60 GB is the way to to go for me. If I buty X5 now, I will hope X6 or X7 to not show up very early

Thanks again.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You're welcome. No problem about the section... I just thought this is more X5 specific.

Don't worry, Cowon works very slow... they didn't even announce an X5 successor yet - so I believe we won't see one before 2008.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:54 AM

Hello,

Sorry for bumping up an old topic. I didn't want to have to start a new thread. Anyway, I'm terribly new at this so I hope you'll bear with me...

I've been using MTP and media source before that. So my filenames are a little bit topsy-turvy. Some are alive.mp3, some are overly descriptive like Blood Sugar Sex Magic - Red Hot Chili Peppers - I Could Have Lied.mp3; how will this be displayed, is it going to show the whole filename or is it going to automatically just show the title like how creative does it?

I also understand that tag browsing isn't supported, so I have to search using the structure I organized by folders? So lets say I wanted to create genre folders where I can have the same artist in different genres, does this mean that I can't listen to an artist album since I didn't create folders by album?

How many subfolders can I have within a folder? Can I have a Main Music Folder - Rock Folder - Artist - Songs?

I'm sure this last bit would be considered sacrilege....but would it be possible to sync songs to the X5 using MTP? I'm just asking because it could really save me a lot of work.

Hope someone could help clear things up...

regards,

lorsban

Old 08-02-2007, 05:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

When browsing for files, they are displayed as you named them - topsy-turvy, as you called it. However, on the main playback screen you see the ID3 tags: artist/album/title. To unify your file naming scheme, you could use apps like MP3Tag or Tag&Rename - it shouldn't be that much work, automatically renaming the files.

You can have 10,000 files and folders on the X5, which should be enough for normal use. I use a genre/subgenre/artist/album structure myself.

No, the X5 does not support MTP at all. Pure drag'n'drop. However, if you really like to sync, you could always use an app like AllwaySync instead of drag'n'drop.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:40 PM

dfkt,

Thank you for clearing that up. Anyway, I've renamed all my files (I'm a bit anal in that sense, once I get started, I can't stop). So, now it's either just artist - title.mp3 or title.mp3. But all my tags are fine, it's just the filenames that needed cleaning up.

Anyway, my X5 is arriving in my country on tuesday. Which means it'll get to my city a few days after. So, I'm really looking forward to it. Before your review, I've never even heard of Cowon. I've always been a creative guy starting from the nano, neeon, zen, zen v plus and zvm. I actually did drag and drop with the nano - which I found much better than apple's "my way or the highway" style of doing things. Creative is still good though, but I see it more like a bridge between Cowon and Apple in sound, use, interface and availability.

Another cool thing about the X5 is that a lot of musicians seem to favor this over other players. I'm also a musician and I also do recording so to hear it from other players is really comforting. Sound is the most important thing to a musician, interface to computer guys (like the one's doing reviews in cnet). But who cares about what they have to say anyway. The user reviews for the X5 are far more consistent and it coincides with your review, which is commendable.

Anyway, thanks again for this great site and your awesome reviews!

lorsban