android
Old 09-16-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Broken ZVM, got an iPod, regrets etc

Recently, my ZEN Vision:M had not been functioning well (the headphone jack was no longer working). Using my 2 year warranty, I go to Best Buy to replace it with another one. That was the first mistake. I knew Creative had already stopped making the Vision:M player when they announced they were coming out with the ZEN. So when the customer service rep told me that it was discontinued & that they no longer carry it, I asked her if they already had the ZEN in stock.

Of course they didn't have it in stock. They wouldn't be getting any in until the end of the month. So I had two choices: leave the store with the broken ZVM, or grab a new MP3 player. I opted to get a new one. They had the ZEN V Plus, but I needed more memory. I walked right past the Zune to be confronted by the iPod Classic. How the hell did I end up getting this peace of shit?

One of the things that I loved about my ZVM was the fact that I had so much freedom using it. I could create folders right in Windows Explorer & use drag-and-drop. Never had any problems with videos since I kept them in .avi format. You would think this would just be a standard in all MP3 players. That's definitely not the case with the iPod Classic. I can't do shit on here. I'm so restricted, it's not even funny. I can only sync with iTunes, and it will not play the .avi format for no reason whatsoever. Even photos are hard to get on the device. No themes or wallpaper support. No microphone. And from what I heard, you can only use the computer you first synced the iPod with.

I got the 80GB version, but now I don't care about about the memory. I would much rather have the 16GB ZEN over this. But I still wanna give this thing a chance. Should I hold on to the iPod Classic a little bit longer, or just go for the ZEN?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-16-2007, 01:43 PM

Thank you! I have more reasons to why not to like apple

I say get a Zen 16GB. I will get my hands on one too

Old 09-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I wouldn't buy a Zen till the Sansa View comes out cause I think that price will HAVE to come down to compete...

Old 09-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

I have absolutely no problems using my iPod 80GB. I was using pure drag and drop with my iRiver H320 so I know very well what this entails. With iTunes you can configure it to be used as an external device, and to sync your music when you want to. You can literally drag and drop using this method. The tradeoff, of course, is that iTunes must be running when doing this. As for photos, I have several thousand of them on mine. All you need to do is to declare where your photos are and iTunes will do the rest.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:00 PM

dunno. cant wait for the New Zen though , AAc + 24 bit lcd sdhc support and divx/xvid is killer combo. especially for 129 for the 4gb. though, i wonder if they will also lower the price on the 8 and 16gb.
Black EP-630's
Creative iTrigue L3500 (fabulous sounding speakers)

Old 09-16-2007, 04:48 PM

The huge problem remains thay Xvid/Divx is not supported on Ipod and the resolutions for mp4 are to low for Tv-out (whereas the ZVM is 640x480 which is almost DVD quality). Unfortunately the ZEN despite its support for Divx/Svid only supports reosolutions of 320.240 which would mean i woud have to transcode the majority of my movies. And without Tv-out it can't compare with the ZVM

Old 09-17-2007, 11:29 AM

LOL ... I'd return it and get the V Plus and use that until the Zen comes out in 16GB. I love my V Plus to death (8GB red).

Sandisk Sansa E280R + 4GB MicroSDHC (Rockbox baby), Sansa Fuze 4GB Red, Sansa 1GB Clip (2 of them) ($15.00 Buy.com!), Creative Zen 16GB, Zen Vision:M 30GB, Zen Vision:W 60GB, JVC FX66 Air Cushions.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:13 AM

dude if you like its audio quality just install rockbox and you will have your "peace of mind". u can totally customize the player and rockbox offers a wide range of formats supported (flac, ogg...) and it's dual bootable so u can still boot up ipod's ugly interface. first check out rockbox. if u don't like it go for a change. i had a rockboxed ipod but as it was an ipod it got bricked(screwed so to say )

Old 09-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxid View Post
dude if you like its audio quality just install rockbox and you will have your "peace of mind". u can totally customize the player and rockbox offers a wide range of formats supported (flac, ogg...) and it's dual bootable so u can still boot up ipod's ugly interface. first check out rockbox. if u don't like it go for a change. i had a rockboxed ipod but as it was an ipod it got bricked(screwed so to say )
AFAIK Rockbox does not work yet on the iPod Classic.