android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Insignia > Insignia Pilot

Old 10-07-2007, 11:14 AM

**BUG (aka "Chipmunk" bug) -Improper playback speed using Bluetooth headphones**
CB: [After turning the player back on-NO (edit-it functions normally if a cold boot-up, auto-pairing the BT headphones)] If the player is on and paused in the middle of a track, and you then connect BT headphones, when you un-pause the track, the resumed playback is at 2X or 3X speed with short periods of of silence between the "Chip & Dale" audio bursts !!!
This seems to occur anytime if a track is resumed at some intermediate point, but only when using BT headphones.
Shutting-down and restarting corrects the problem. One solution that seems to work sometimes is to simply back-up (|<) to the start of the resumed track which will restore the proper audio pb speed (albeit you lose your original "resume" position, which off course, defeats the "bookmark"/"resume" purpose).

PLAYER DESIGN TEAM NOTE: It seems as though when turning the player on and resuming from the middle of a track, the audio packets are "compressed" with a shorter timeline and then transmitted via the BT signal. Subsequently, when the D/A decoding occurs in the headphones, the original overall pb timing is restored, but these "compressed", (higher pitched) sound packets are then sequentially played back resulting in audio bursts followed by short silence periods of a length needed fill the the balance of the original pb timeline duration. Sorry if somewhat unclear,but it's hard to describe in words.

PB: To simply playback the audio, properly sync'd, after turning on BT headphones, even if its in the middle of a track when you pause pb and switch from wired to BT headphones.

Last edited by ggkrich; 10-08-2007 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Better defined the bug occurrence parameters

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-07-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Vote Yes for these

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTree View Post
Firmware version: shipping firmware when Pilot first launched (I'm not sure of the number, sorry)

BUG: With audio bookmarks on SD-card-based tracks of any type, the wrong song title -- one from main memory -- is shown in the Load Bookmarks list. Thankfully, if you play the bookmark, it goes straight to the right point in the right SD-card-based track.

**Playlist editing**:

PB: Playlist editing, particularly for "Now Playing" (have one of the buttons, preferably menu, bring up a pop-up menu with track delete and move commands)

**Default Music Library category setting**:

CB: Music Library always starts at Play All.
PB: Have a setting to customize which category occurs first when you go to Music Library from the main menu the first time; subsequently, have player remember where you were in Music Library after a selection is made, then return you to that same place.

My votes for features upthread:
Remember playlist after sync/charge - YES
Play/Add context menu in Folder Browser - YES
Bookmarks that remember a point in a playlist - YES
Back goes forward (in Random mode) - YES
Voting yes to those features

Old 10-07-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Suggestion: OTG Playlists

Being able to create playlists on the go would be swell

Old 10-07-2007, 01:20 PM

Default BUGS

Device: NS-8v24 Firmware ver. 1.006
Navigation
  • Pictures: Pressing the up key doesn't go back, like listed in documentation, instead it rotates the picture, which is what the down key is supposed to do. The down key doesn't do anything. Attached is a screen shot of the documentation were the proper usage is listed.

Usability
  • When in shuffle mode, pressing back plays a random song, not the song that you just skipped.
  • If you are listening to a song and you go and delete any file. The music automatically stops and starts from Song 1. The player does not shuffle the songs anymore. It just plays through the list of already shuffled songs. If you have shuffle off, then it still plays from that preshuffled list. That list is always the same, so it seems like it was the order the songs were recognized by the player. Please refer to the video for more detail.
  • When you are recording FM radio or Line in. To stop recording you have wait for seconds before it even accepts the command to stop recording.
Connecting to Computer
  • When you connect the player to the computer, the song that you last listened to gets lost and when you unplug it starts from a new song.
  • The player is not connecting in MTP mode. Is included software required to be installed before MTP works?

Tags
  • If you update the ID3 tags directly on the player, the player does not pickup the changes. You need to delete the file, then move the updated file, then the player picks up the changes.

Visual Bugs
  • The hold lock looks kinda cheap Refer to Picture
  • Sub menu refresh rate can be kinda of choppy Refer to Video
  • When the Player Dims, it dims in stages not gradually, not really a bug but doesn't look top notch. - Refer to Video

Old 10-07-2007, 03:31 PM

Default vote yes on mep's suggestion regarding bookmarks

I agree all files in a folder should automatically play in sequence. When one of the files is opened with a bookmark, other files in the folder should play in sequence.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:16 PM

Default 2 requests and 1 bug for Sport model

I'm posting this to the Pilot feature request but I'd like to see these features implemented in future firmware updates for the Sport as well. I bought the sport a few days ago and it is almost perfect.
Here are my requests:

** Bookmarking with RETENTION of the WHOLE PLAYLIST** would GREATLY enhance the practicle useability of this feature. Having the bookmark restore playback qued to the proper position WITHIN the associated ALBUM or AUDIO BOOK seems only natural and intuitive to me.(quoted from another's post)

**Timed idle shutdown** with the options of 'Off' and 'On', with ON having timed options such as 10 min, 30 min and 1 hour.

The Sport model (4 GB) also has the bluetooth headphone 'chipmunk' bug.

BTW, I was this close || to buying the new ZEN but reading about Insignia's features plus the developers' involvement with its users changed my mind.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:35 PM

wandalynn,

With respect to the Sport, have you found the Settings-Time-Auto Power Off - with settings including Off - 30mins ? I am unsure of the difference between that and your Timed Idle Shutdown?

Thanks

Tobey, can we make sure we have two lists one for the Pilot and for the Sport.

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback, it is great to have such an involved user community.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:09 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldel View Post
wandalynn,

With respect to the Sport, have you found the Settings-Time-Auto Power Off - with settings including Off - 30mins ? I am unsure of the difference between that and your Timed Idle Shutdown?
Well... I've found it now!

Guess I was thinking TIME = CLOCK from Creative's menu. I was looking elswhere for this feature. TIme to read the users manual! BTW, it was hard to chose between the two players, Pilot or Sport - I was interested in the 4 GB Zen originally. I did read some of the Pilot manual on-line before I bought the Sport and found a feature that works on the Sport too - If you put longish mp3's in the 'Audible' folder the files are automatically bookmarked. This is great for long podcasts.

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2007, 03:18 AM

.FLV support for video please.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Suggestion: Play now, then continue playing the previous music

I know I listed this as a feature request in my big post, but I would like to say it again just to emphasize of how much this feature would rock.

Basically this is what it should do: Say your listening to your huge playlist of music, you get this one song stuck in your head and you want to listen to it right now. So you find the song, click on in and instead of selecting "Play Now" or "Add Now Playing" you select the new feature of "Play Now Keeping Old Playlist". This allows you to listen to the song you like and then go back to the usual play list.

I this thing happens to me quite a bit, and it gets painful to switch back to playing all or specific playlist.... esp if your now driving, while you found the song while you were on the stop light

Old 10-08-2007, 02:44 PM

Covertrussion,
Wouldn't bookmarking a playlist serve the same purpose? You'd just need to remember to create a bookmark before exiting playlist play mode (or whatever you wanna call that).

Now for my suggestion:

One feature I'd like to see is playlist viewing/editing. I know the Now Playing screen shows you what's up next, but it would be nice to have a screen to show you the entire current playlist. The ability to delete songs from the playlist, and to move tracks up or down in the list would be great. And of course to be able to jump directly to any track in the list would be wonderful too.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Votes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTree View Post
Firmware version: shipping firmware when Pilot first launched (I'm not sure of the number, sorry)

**Playlist editing**:

PB: Playlist editing, particularly for "Now Playing" (have one of the buttons, preferably menu, bring up a pop-up menu with track delete and move commands)

**Default Music Library category setting**:

CB: Music Library always starts at Play All.
PB: Have a setting to customize which category occurs first when you go to Music Library from the main menu the first time; subsequently, have player remember where you were in Music Library after a selection is made, then return you to that same place.
Yes to both of these. On playlist editing, I think the rating button would be perfect. Use the rocker to move the current track, or pressing the button brings up a context menu that includes delete and maybe move to top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post
Being able to create playlists on the go would be swell
Yes! But, how would you give it a name?

Quote:
  • If you update the ID3 tags directly on the player, the player does not pickup the changes. You need to delete the file, then move the updated file, then the player picks up the changes.
Yes to this.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburchfield View Post
Covertrussion,
Wouldn't bookmarking a playlist serve the same purpose? You'd just need to remember to create a bookmark before exiting playlist play mode (or whatever you wanna call that).

Now for my suggestion:

One feature I'd like to see is playlist viewing/editing. I know the Now Playing screen shows you what's up next, but it would be nice to have a screen to show you the entire current playlist. The ability to delete songs from the playlist, and to move tracks up or down in the list would be great. And of course to be able to jump directly to any track in the list would be wonderful too.
Bookmarking seems to only remember the song, not the whole playlist... so thats probably a bug, hehe.

As for your suggestions, there is a similar function, but it does not let you to delete. Just look and select another song.

Simply press up when you are in the now playing screen and it will show you the currently playing songs and the songs after that etc.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburchfield View Post
On now playing, press up (once if you don't have album art, twice if you do). That will show you the current playlist and let you skip ahead or back. We just need to be able to remove songs and move them within the playlist.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Suggestion: Renaming Files on the Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattschuette View Post
Yes! But, how would you give it a name?
Oh good point, this brings me to the next suggestion, being able to rename files on the go!

So by default when you create a playlist on the go, it will name id OTGPlaylist01... in the Playlists folder. Then you can go in there and rename it!

Old 10-08-2007, 03:20 PM

Request: 640x480 on TV-out (disable screen option if necessary) - why have a TV-out if you can't export at a decent resolution. These units are pretty powerful I would think this is not a hardware issue - plus the included mediaconverter 2 software has an option to encode to 640x480 - the player just won't run the resulting file.

Others

Playlist Editing - YES (this is a must - very annoying)
Remember playlist after sync/charge - YES
Back goes forward (in Random mode) - YES
Customize Playlist Start - YES

Last edited by flood; 10-09-2007 at 07:57 AM. Reason: update

Old 10-08-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Connecting to Computer
  • The player is not connecting in MTP mode. Is included software required to be installed before MTP works?
On WindowsXP, you can install Windows Media Player 10 or 11. As I understand it, MS is not interested in releasing the MTP drivers apart from WMP. Also, if you install the included Rhapsody software, I believe that will install what is necessary for MTP to work. For Vista, I believe it is supported without anything to install.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flood View Post
Request: 640x480 on TV-out (disable screen option if necessary) - why have a TV-out if you can't export at a decent resolution. These units are pretty powerful I would think this is not a hardware issue.
Yes pleas yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattschuette View Post
On WindowsXP, you can install Windows Media Player 10 or 11. As I understand it, MS is not interested in releasing the MTP drivers apart from WMP. Also, if you install the included Rhapsody software, I believe that will install what is necessary for MTP to work. For Vista, I believe it is supported without anything to install.
I have Win XP with WMP 11. The player is in Media Manger Sync, thats what it says on the player, but it still connected as a UMS device...

Old 10-09-2007, 10:03 AM

Default ** Random album mode **

Something I've gotten used to with Foobar2000 is "Shuffle (albums)" play mode. It plays tracks in album order, but when the last track in an album finishes playing, it randomly selects the next album to play. It is highly dependent on good tags, but assuming that, it's a nice feature.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:13 AM

Default ** Playlists via MSC **

Maybe I just haven't found the right syntax, but M3U playlists via MSC would be nice. M3U is a very simply format that is just a list of file pointers. If these were relative to the Pilot filesystem, I don't see why that shouldn't work. Seems like lots of people are attracted to this player because of the MSC support, so it would be nice if everything worked via MSC (playlists, album art, etc.). If I'm just missing something, please help me out!