android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 10-18-2007, 11:47 PM

http://www.simplyaudiobooks.com/Free_Audiobooks/dp/202/

http://librivox.org/

http://www.freeclassicaudiobooks.com/

I'm a complete noob, but maybe one of these sites will have what you need to test this? I did a google search for free audiobooks, and these were some of the first places to come up.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-19-2007, 01:00 AM

Okay, I downloaded one of those Simply Audiobooks books. I made a playlist for it. What Almoxil said above is correct. When you resume from a bookmark, it loads just the current track. When that track/chapter has finished, you need to go into the Album directory and select the next track to continue on.

It’s a bit inconvenient I guess. If it was me and my main Zen use was Audiobooks, I’d be writing a little script to join>append all the chapters in each book into a single file…

As is, it’s certainly not useless for audiobooks (in fact, thanks to your links I will get a few to try out). But it could be better.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:15 PM

I really hate this since I like the looks and features of this player so much, and have actually had it on preorder since August, but I think I am going to have to cancel this order and maybe go with the Cowan with the smaller memory.

People have been complaining about this failure to remember playlists on the Creative forums for years and there hasn't been a change, so I don't think one is coming any time soon.

It's gotten under my skin now, and that's not the way to start out with a new player.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:48 AM

Unfortunately I'll have to pass on this one as well. I really liked the look/feel of it but can't get past the limitations for what I want of it.

Maybe Sansa??? The Samsung K3 and Cowan look good but have too small a memory size.

I'll just have to keep looking.......

Old 10-21-2007, 07:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

As for Cowon players, Cowon D2 has a SDHC slot (you can add up to 16 GB; mine has 4 GB internal + 8 GB SDHC = 12 GB).

Old 10-21-2007, 09:42 AM

For better or worse, I went with the Cowon D2. I finally picked a player that has actually been released, so I'll get my hands on it next week. Hooray. Now I have to stop looking, so I won't see the next big thing out there. This one needs to last a while.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanasina View Post
For better or worse, I went with the Cowon D2. I finally picked a player that has actually been released, so I'll get my hands on it next week. Hooray. Now I have to stop looking, so I won't see the next big thing out there. This one needs to last a while.
Cheers - let us know how it goes with respect to the points I raised, if you could.

Almoxil, does the SDHC integrate fully with the onboard memory so you see just 10gb, for eaxmple (i.e. unlike the way the Creative handles it). I notice that you saved the bookmark when you tested it. Does it do all those things if you HAVEN'T saved the bookmark?

Old 10-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnurky View Post
Cheers - let us know how it goes with respect to the points I raised, if you could.

Almoxil, does the SDHC integrate fully with the onboard memory so you see just 10gb, for eaxmple (i.e. unlike the way the Creative handles it). I notice that you saved the bookmark when you tested it. Does it do all those things if you HAVEN'T saved the bookmark?
With the D2, you can use both ID3 and file/folder navigation. When using ID3 tags the player will merge all media from the internal memory and SDHC card. As for your playback questions, it will resume from the last position by default when you press the play button, that is, you don't need to save bookmarks. I did that only to show the bookmarking capacities.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoxil View Post
With the D2, you can use both ID3 and file/folder navigation. When using ID3 tags the player will merge all media from the internal memory and SDHC card. As for your playback questions, it will resume from the last position by default when you press the play button, that is, you don't need to save bookmarks.
Almost there How long does it take to boot up with the SD card in? Is it more noticable than with the card removed? Does it have to do a "rebuild database" type thing?

Old 10-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnurky View Post
Almost there How long does it take to boot up with the SD card in? Is it more noticable than with the card removed? Does it have to do a "rebuild database" type thing?
Mine usually takes around 4 seconds to boot without the SDHC card, and around 7 seconds with the card inserted. The library rebuild happens silently while the player is booting... there's no "Rebuilding database" or such messages.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoxil View Post
Mine usually takes around 4 seconds to boot without the SDHC card, and around 7 seconds with the card inserted. The library rebuild happens silently while the player is booting... there's no "Rebuilding database" or such messages.
Excellent - looks like it might be a goer.

Thanks.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Glad to help.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundation View Post
No, you're correct. My Zen starts from the beginning of the track if I pause it before shutting down, but resumes where I left off if I just switch straight off. While testing this I came across the most amusing (for me but :sigh: no doubt potentially a 'deal-breaker' for those sour-faced, angry, emo-types ) quirk! If you're in random play (shuffle) and you shut down without pausing, the Zen remembers where you were up to on the track and restarts at this same point.... on a completely different random track!

Sweet! I'll put this down as a Creative Zen undocumented bonus feature!
Those sour-faced, angry, emo-types are lucky, this issue has been fixed with the new ZEN firmware (1.10.05)

Old 10-24-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woembah View Post
Those sour-faced, angry, emo-types are lucky, this issue has been fixed with the new ZEN firmware (1.10.05)
I resent the implication

Can you tell me if the new firmware fixes the issue where if you return to to the track from, say, listening to the FM radio it will resume at that point in the track where you left it rather than at the beginning of the track?

Old 10-25-2007, 01:09 PM

Unfortunately it still doesn't return at the point where you left it if you have used the FM radio or the video function. But they have fixed another thing: Your song will now also resume if your song was paused when you turned it off.