android
Old 10-31-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Unable to charge Vision: M

I came across this forum, and I tried searching to see if I could find the solution to my problem, but I didn't have any luck. I was given this player as a gift last December from an ex-girlfriend, so I don't have a copy of the receipt.

It probably has less than 20 hours of total use on it, but now it won't charge. When I plug it in, it shows the lightning bolt as if it were charging, but it only shows the battery with the little red line that indicates a low battery level. As soon as I unplug it, it dies within seconds.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, so that I can trouble shoot this trouble, I would greatly appreciated it. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-31-2007, 04:33 PM

How are you charging it? Via the wall charger, or your PC?

Old 10-31-2007, 06:17 PM

I tried both ways, and I got the same results. I am using the sync adapter, and I tried using both a USB cable, and using the a/c adapter that plugs into the usb port on the sync adapter as well. Thanks for the respond Resident!

Old 10-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ummm... By the way you are describing the problem, it sounds perfectly normal. It will take the battery about 2-4 hours to charge via AC wall adapter, or 6-8 hours to charge via USB.

By the way... NEVER EVER PLUG A WALL ADAPTER INTO YOUR PLAYER'S USB PORT!!! You stand a very good chance of frying your player, as the ZVM does not have adequate current limiting on its USB power lines! Use ONLY a wall adapter that is designed to plug into the DC-IN jack on your sync adapter!

Old 10-31-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
Ummm... By the way you are describing the problem, it sounds perfectly normal. It will take the battery about 2-4 hours to charge via AC wall adapter, or 6-8 hours to charge via USB.

By the way... NEVER EVER PLUG A WALL ADAPTER INTO YOUR PLAYER'S USB PORT!!! You stand a very good chance of frying your player, as the ZVM does not have adequate current limiting on its USB power lines! Use ONLY a wall adapter that is designed to plug into the DC-IN jack on your sync adapter!
I just got a zen V plus given to me today and I know this should be in another forum but as your talking about it, does the thing about not plugging a charger in through the USB apply to zen V pluses, it's the only connection they have or do you have to make sure you get either a proper creative one or only ever charge via comp.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No. It only applies to the Zen Vision / Vision:M and possibly the Vision W. It does not apply to players lacking a DC jack, like the Zen V and the Zen; however, you should be mindful of the current output of your wall adapter if you use a third-party adapter.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:21 AM

Yep, don't use a third-party adapter at all, is my advice. If the ZVM fries or breaks or whatever, Creative won't give you your money back. Warranty is only valid when you use Creatives products to the ZVM.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the responses. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here are a few. I am using the same charger and charging method that works a few months ago. Here is a picture of how I have it connected.

And here is a picture of the charger that I am using (the one that came the unit)

Lastly, I made an animated GIF to show what it looks like when I am charging the unit.

Click the pics to make them bigger and to animate the last one.
Oh yea, I left it plugged in for 48 hours, and I still had no luck!

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by CaptainQuirk; 11-01-2007 at 12:42 PM. Reason: update post

Old 11-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Your charger should have come with an adapter that allows it to be plugged into the round DC-IN jack on your sync adapter. I very strongly advise you to find it and use that method, for several reasons:
  1. As I stated above, the USB port should NEVER be used for wall adapters, no matter who made the charger. Irrepairable damage to your player can result otherwise.
  2. The ZVM does not charge well when it cannot handshake with the host (a computer).
  3. You may have the v1.40 firmware on your player, and its charging issues are rearing its ugly head. Using a wall adapter plugged into the DC-IN jack in conjunction with a USB cable plugged to the host computer is the only way you'll be able to upgrade the firmware.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:09 PM

Thanks ZenChick. Could you advise me as to where to purchase the right power adapter? This is the only adapter that came with my Zen. :-(

Old 11-01-2007, 03:33 PM

PSP power adaptors work wonders and are available everywhere.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
Thanks ZenChick. Could you advise me as to where to purchase the right power adapter? This is the only adapter that came with my Zen. :-(
Your AC charger looks exactly like mine. I don't think it's the charger though. My money is on the firmware. I bet you that you need to upgrade. If the firmware is the same as the ZVM came with, it's totally bugged. Do as ZenChick adviced;
download the new firmware and use both the AC and the usb connected to the player to transfer and upgrade the firmware.
I had to do the exact same thing in april when I got my ZVM. I had it connected to a wall socket for over 24 hours and still it wouldn't turn on when disconnected from it. But as soon as the firmware upgrade was complete; Tadaa! The ZVM suddenly accepted the power.
You will get a couple of messages from both the computer and the ZVM during upgrade. "Battery is dangerously low" etc, but ignore it. It doesn't take long time before the upgrade is complete.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:10 AM

This makes total sense. It has been a few months since I last used it, so it would stand to reason that I completely drained the battery. Thanks again, for the help. I'll be sure to post once I get a charger and get the FW updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAngel View Post
Your AC charger looks exactly like mine. I don't think it's the charger though. My money is on the firmware. I bet you that you need to upgrade. If the firmware is the same as the ZVM came with, it's totally bugged. Do as ZenChick adviced;
download the new firmware and use both the AC and the usb connected to the player to transfer and upgrade the firmware.
I had to do the exact same thing in april when I got my ZVM. I had it connected to a wall socket for over 24 hours and still it wouldn't turn on when disconnected from it. But as soon as the firmware upgrade was complete; Tadaa! The ZVM suddenly accepted the power.
You will get a couple of messages from both the computer and the ZVM during upgrade. "Battery is dangerously low" etc, but ignore it. It doesn't take long time before the upgrade is complete.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:06 PM

Yep. That's what I bet on. I hade the exact same problem. Keep me updated!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:02 AM

I got it working now. I went to Target and bought a Sony PSP car charger for $7.99. I let it charge for a few hours, and then I was able to to update the firmware with USB. So far so good. Thanks again for the help everyone!!