android
Old 11-18-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Having Issues, any ideas?

I've owned my ZVM for maybe a month now, and I've had no problems at all, but I just moved to a new house and I'm stuck using a computer that does not have the Zen Vision: M software installed. I also do not have the disc at the moment as it is buried deep within a box, under a box, probably inside another box.
My battery is dead, and I've been trying to charge it for days now. It wont charge on my 5volt cell phone charger, or my old Rio mp3 charger, and the computer wont recognize that a USB device is connected. I read a couple posts and heard that it may take up to 24 hours for my Zen to charge without the software, but I'm worried. It's been plugged in for almost 40 hours! What's up? Has anyone had this problem? Should I just wait longer, or is it broken?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-18-2007, 08:03 PM

oh dear, I really hope you haven't plugged an AC USB charger into your Zen and left it there for 40 hours

That technique has been known to fry a Zen. You need to get a compatible AC adapter which plugs into the DC-in port on the dongle. There are a few non-creative adapters out there including the PSP and the i-Book adapters.

If you have been using the DC in port, could you let us know what the amperage is on the output of the charger?

Old 11-18-2007, 08:21 PM

I really dont know much about the technological side, but Gah! I just read another post about how plugging an AC adapter into the USB might fry my Zen, but that's all I have! My phone and my old mp3 player both used the same type of charger (a 5v, 550mA AC to USB port charger),and my Zen didn't come with an AC adapter. So I haven't used the DC port at all. Should I unplugged it right away until I have a different charger, or just see if it charges eventually? =\
All the buttons blinked blue maybe 20 minutes ago, so it IS showing signs of life, but it's just that tiny sliver of red on the battery charging symbol still.

(and it hasn't been 40 straight hours; I tried several days ago for maybe 12, then a day later I tried for a longer period of time, but altogether it has been about 40 hours worth of charging time, is that still just as bad? O_O;; )

Old 11-19-2007, 02:04 AM
ABI Invaluable

At 5VDC/550mA, your player is probably okay, though I do NOT recommend doing it anymore.

Your player will charge via computer's USB, but it's going to be slow-going for quite a while. For most computers, the USB port starts off in 1.1 mode, 100mA max until the computer can recognize the device as a USB2 device, at which time it kicks up the current to whatever the device requests, up to 500mA per port.

For faster, more reliable charging, I recommend getting hold of either an official Creative charger (and plugging only into the DC-in jack), or grabbing a PSP charger.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:08 AM

If you can switch it to the removable disk feature it will be recognized on any computer and charge

Old 11-19-2007, 12:49 PM
ABI Invaluable

Unfortunately, it's not quite that easy. The player has to be powered up to do that.