android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 11-23-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Considering buying vision M but..reliability issues?

This week, my 30gb iPod photo died after about 2 and a half years service. Judging from the generally reported short lifespan of the iPod, I didn't do too badly with regards to how long it lasted, but still, I really don't want to get another iPod. In fact I hadn't wanted an iPod in the first place - it was bought for me as a gift. I kind of resented their market dominance and overall faddishness, and how overpriced and reputedly unreliable they were. I feel like buying another iPod would be just giving in.

The problem is, my iPod seems to have died at a particularly awkward point in terms of the options for high capacity mp3 players that are available to replace it. I can have a 30gb Creative Zen Vision M (now discontinued), for 149 (roughly $300) or an 80gb iPod for the same price, and that seems to be about it. All the options, apart from the iPod, seem to be extremely overpriced at the moment.

I'm interested in the Creative Zen Vision, despite the price per gb and battery life discrepencies between it and the new iPod. But it seems to me like it may be very prone to problems. Both on this forum, and on amazon and other user review sites there are mentions of problems with repeated crashing and freezing, screens going black, players losing all the music on them every time they are charged, and, most worryingly, lcd screens imploding without good cause. On this blog here, loads of people report problems with their Zen's lcd screens imploding.

The thought of encountering these problems is made worse by the reports of the difficulty of getting Creative to service the player, and the price of repair, which seems to be identical to the extortionate amounts charged by Apple. And also the fact that I cannot buy an extended warranty with the Zen, as the one shop still selling them doesn't offer it.

Are these real concerns? Does the Creative Zen Vision M have a disproportianate amount of problems and innate flaws that make it a poor choice if I want a reliable player? Have many people used the Zen Vision M without having any problems with it at all? Is it still more reliable than an iPod? Is there any way to tell?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-23-2007, 08:16 PM

I've had my zen for nearly a year now (christmas present last year) and I've had no real problems with it. I've only had it crash once or twice and I've had way less problems with it than my friends have had with their ipods. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of hacks for it, with an ipod you can do a lot more customization by the zen is still a great player.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:20 PM

Morgoth, check out the sticky on the broken screen problem. Apparently it can happen easily if you drop your Zen.

B

Old 11-23-2007, 08:56 PM

Based on my experience with the Vision:M, stay away from it. Mine broke relatively quickly and, even while it was still working, it had numerous problems (least of which was requiring a reset at least once a week).

My personal reccomendation is to look into a Zune. Great little thing. I was going to pick one up along with a couple of my friends, but I found a clearance on a Zen Portable Media Centre so I picked that up instead. So far, it's working a hell of a lot better than my V:M was (and, at its original price tag, it damn well better! XD).

Old 11-24-2007, 01:50 AM
Banned

Where in the world did you find a Portable Media Center? Aren't those things from back in 2004? Tell me tell me tell me

Old 11-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hiya, Morgoth, and welcome to ABi>>!

Despite how things may appear in the forums, the ZVM is, overall, a very reliable player. The key to keeping them in good shape is to take care of them and ensure you have the latest firmware available installed. Keep in mind that the vast majority of people who never have problems with a device never visit a forum to post about it, whereas people who do have problems tend to be very vocal about it. FWIW, I've had my ZVM for nearly two years now and have never had a single problem with it that wasn't fixed with a firmware update. The "imploding screen" problem you've no doubt read about appears to have been limited to a specific batch of these players, as there have been no new reports of broken screens lately.

You can rest assured that, should you decide to buy one, the chances of receiving a defective or flawed ZVM is very, very low; still - as with any major purchase - you should make sure the store where you get it, be it online or a brick-and-mortar store, has a good return and replacement policy. Defective devices do happen, and no device is immune from that.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:30 AM

Can I back up ZC about the ZV:M - mines pushing on for two years, it's been dropped and it's had some problems but the player by some miracle has actually fixed it'self and is working fine with no issues?!

I had some reliability issues until I found ABi and thanks to the members here I learnt how to upgrade the firmware and put the DVD's on it and other tips if it does go belly up.

If it's any consolation I also own a iPod Touch (and I didn't pay for it thankfully?) and although it all looks the part and it's all snazzy, it's all show because iTunes is a pain in the a** and you have to do everything the Apple Way, plus other annoying quirks of owning an iPod.

Flick through some more threads about the ZV:M and weigh up the pros and cons but I think a ZV:M (even though it's been discontinued) would be a good investment.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:34 PM

Thanks for your opinions and advice all, but unfortunately, it seems the decision has been taken out of my hands - my mum told me that she has bought me an mp3 player from ebay for my Christmas, probably it's an ipod, despite all the things I was saying about the choices I would definitely have gone for the Creative Zen Vision M if I could have got it somewhere with an extended warranty, but there isn't anywhere in the UK selling it with one. Scary thing is, since the mp3 player my mum got me is from ebay, it may have no warranty at all.. All my careful research looking for something reliable, even considering extended warranties, gone out the window! I may get an ipod with no warranty! It's free, I suppose, since it's a present. Meanwhile I don't have an mp3 player for the time from now till Christmas.